Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: yet another long-winded flatrate debate

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
    Let's talk about sectionals and drums now!
    Oh, wow! I have flat rate pricing for those too!
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

I am done here too. I couldn't resist bringing the topic up after reading crack's post about the flatrate cable job. But now on to more interesting discussion.
      You seem to bring up old wounds every once in a while and I'm not sure if that is good or bad. Either way if you still plan on doing our experiment I would like to hear the results.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
        You guys still taking flat rate

Carl wasn't kidding when he suggested this was going to be a long one!

Isn't it funny how some of us aren't happy with the low ball unlicensed guy, some don't care for the high ball flat rate licensed and insured guy, some think the T&M guy short changes themselves.... nobody is happy except, well all be darn, our customers.

Devine has happy customers, so does Rick, Carl has his share, PlumbersCrack pleases more than a few, Dunbar has one... maybe two (sorry DB, couldn't resist) and yes, I have happy customers too.

So it appears nobody is right and their is plenty of work to go around for all types of personalities, incomes and lifestyles.

IMHO, companies shape their destiny, culture and clientèle by their services, policies, procedures, people and yes... price.

There are plenty of people to go around for everyone - rich, poor, cheap, blue collar, spoiled, snotty, busy, lazy, etc...

As long as an organization is doing business in a reasonably ethical manner, people who want the type of service that you provide will find you and will be happy with your service.
        I agree and I don't really understand the seemingly strong hatred to those that differ. I am on flat rate. I have done T&M. I can see both perspectives. I can argue both sides of the fence pretty easily and have on a couple of forums. These arguments always go on for MANY pages with no true end until everyone gets tired of the topic but why? What is the real purpose of this discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by EverettsPHAC View Post
          I agree and I don't really understand the seemingly strong hatred to those that differ. I am on flat rate. I have done T&M. I can see both perspectives. I can argue both sides of the fence pretty easily and have on a couple of forums. These arguments always go on for MANY pages with no true end until everyone gets tired of the topic but why? What is the real purpose of this discussion?
          It is a deb ate which evokes a lot of emotions on this site so we generally try to avoid it. There seems to be significant fundamental disagreements on the subject. I believe part of the reason is I've never seen a post talking about how happy a customer was with the flat rate pricing.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            I've never seen a post talking about how happy a customer was with the flat rate pricing.

Mark
            Well you have now. My company has always been flatrate and I have many repeat clients that are very happy with it. Why else would they keep calling me back? Also I get a lot of referrals from my clients too.
            e.g. "Hi, this is so-and-so and I have a plumbing issue. My neighbor, Bob, gave us your number, he highly recommended you."
            Last edited by Service Guy; 01-03-2009, 02:46 PM.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Well you have now. My company has always been flatrate and I have many repeat clients that are very happy with it. Why else would they keep calling me back? Also I get a lot of referrals from my clients too.
              e.g. "Hi, this is so-and-so and I have a plumbing issue. My neighbor, Bob, gave us your number, he highly recommended you."
              I am talking about clients posting they were really happy with the price their flat rate plumber charged them. Usually we don't know how they were charged unless we get a post complaining the plumber charged a flat rate of $XXX and finished the job in less than a hour. It's like the old saying "you can see the forest for one fallen tree".

Mark

Comment

People only post negative stuff. Why would a customer come on the forum only to praise a price? Seems stupid.

Comment

I have always gotten pricing complaints. T&M and Flat Rate.

Not on every job but with either pricing method.

Comment

People only post negative stuff. Why would a customer come on the forum only to praise a price? Seems stupid.
                    Which is what I posted.

Mark

Comment

I lost another rod job today...she found a guy to do it for $65. I didnt even get into trip charges, machine charges, c/o charges etc.

Comment

I charge $115 first hr $45 each add 1/2hr plus material covers it all on service work

Comment

QUICK! Everyone over to the "New Guy on the Forum" thread posted by 'Plumbing Paramedics'. There's a flatrate vs. t&m fight goin' on.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Coming in here a little late. I started as T&M but have switched to flat rate because my customer prefer it. I only advertise on CL and it's done well for me but the downside is I get a lot of price shoppers. I give them my starting off flat rate price over the phone and many times they accept. When I used to break it down to them with t&M, as soon as I said my hourly charge, they choked and hung up.

I'm glad I made the switch but I as long as someone is doing an honest job for an honest price(theirs, not yours) I can't knock them for it.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Mark, I finished my experiment this week.
                              It wasn't super-busy so it was easy to keep up with. Also, I am pleased to show that my prices are extremely accurate. I billed out this week for 29 hours, and I worked a total of 28 hours in the field. So I would have made almost the same money working hourly.
                              However, as Ben described above, quoting a high hourly rate tends to turn people off. But they are quite happy when I give them a flat price to do the work, knowing it will not go higher no matter how long the job takes. It is an effective marketing tactic.
                              If I say: "I am $120/hour, and the job will probably take two hours." People tend to think it is too high. If I say, "the job will be a flatrate of $240 no matter how long it takes." Most people are fine with it. Either way, its the same exact price for the same exact job, but one way is more palatable to the consumer than the other.
                              So, again, for me flatrate is superior. My customers prefer it, so it secures me more jobs. You could argue that I am simply "hiding" my rate, but at least I am divulging the total cost. I would then counter-argue that T&M hides the total cost of the job, since the amount of time billed is not defined until the job is over.

Comment

what hourly price rate for labor are you using to come to these prices? Are you a one man shop, or more than one truck.

These prices would shurly put me out of business. I have been thinking of going to flat rate, and have been using some prices that I downloaded from www.SPAM.com , and so far, my customers have really taken hold of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they're wrong for you, just seem's high for the DFW area. I'm new to the forum, as I found this one looking for different flat rate pricing guides.

This was supposed to be a response to Spodelee's post on his list posted.....

as I had said, I'm looking into list's and had found one from a company in Ft. Worth......
                                there list for a flush valve seal change out:

Standard $59.00
                                Value Rate $50.00

His pricing:
                                Standard $138.89
                                Value Rate $135.27

Just seems high for a 5 minute flapper replacement,
                                again, not saying his pricing is wrong
                                Last edited by txmasterplumber; 01-12-2009, 09:17 PM. Reason: to verify post

Comment

Working...
                                X