Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So you still don't believe in licensing

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
    I think you are 100% right, but on the other hand in most cases who are they hurting. If I were to do work like that in my own house I am going to have problems and I am going to cause damamge to my house. Who is the government to tell me that I cant **** up my own house. Now, if the job is done for a customer I can see this being an issue. I do think that if someone wants to have an unlicensed person do work they should be allowed. (ie a family member or friend) I guess this is why in some areas the home owner can pull permits on their own property.

Your lack of understanding of issues such as backflow and cross connection that can, have and will continue to effect others is the reason why you can't hack in your own plumbing. How about the guy that hacks his house up and then decides to sell it? The United States has set the standard for sanitation for over 100 years because we realized the absolute necessity for clean water and disease free waste disposal. This is one of the things that separates us from the third world countries. Modern plumbing and sanitation has saved more lives thatn all the doctors and all the hospitals since the beginning of recorded history. So important is proper sanitation that the AMA cited it as the most important medical advancement, even beyond anti-biotecs and modern surgical procedure.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
      I think you are 100% right, but on the other hand in most cases who are they hurting. If I were to do work like that in my own house I am going to have problems and I am going to cause damamge to my house. Who is the government to tell me that I cant **** up my own house. Now, if the job is done for a customer I can see this being an issue. I do think that if someone wants to have an unlicensed person do work they should be allowed. (ie a family member or friend) I guess this is why in some areas the home owner can pull permits on their own property.
      If you F' it up you can pollute the rest of the system on your block. This goes along with the "anybody can do it" attitude that a lot of people have towards the plumbing field.

The USA is one of the few (and I mean few) countries in the world where you can get a drink from a water fountain and not think a thing about it!

Comment

futuresweets10
        Nh master and N.I.P. are correct. If you need further verification find a doctor not full of him/Her self.
        Mike

Comment

For all you guys that are convinced that plumbers do crap work like this too and that It's OK if it's in your own house or for that matter any other lame excuse you can find to either justify or criticize what is shown in the pictures... Hooray for you, who cares? I posted these for the entertainment value alone.
          sigpic

Comment

Lets not forget it was a poorly designed and poorly maintained DWV system which was blamed for the SARS breakout. How many lives did that claim in how many countries not to mention the sick and the scared?

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

TUN
              Please link that now. I was of the understanding that was a blood problem
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                TUN
                Please link that now. I was of the understanding that was a blood problem
                Mike
                There was a great article written by Phil Campbell on the subject but I can't find it right now. It may have been in the IAPMO magazine but he was awarded $7,500 by the World Plumbing Council for his study so it may have been in another publication.

Here is some reading for you for now though.

http://www.texasdrain.com/news/SARSArticle.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progres..._SARS_outbreak

On March 30, Hong Kong authorities quarantined the estate E of the Amoy Gardens Apartment due to a massive (200+ cases) outbreak in the building. The balcony was completely closed of all uses and guarded by the police. The residents of the building were later transferred to the quarantined Lei Yue Mun Holiday Camp and Lady MacLehose Holiday Village on April 1 because the building was deemed a health hazard. Most of the cases were tied to apartment units with a north-western orientation that shared the same sewage pipe. According to government officials, the virus was brought into the estate by an infected kidney patient (type of kidney illness has not been specified) who after he was discharged from Prince of Wales Hospital, visited and thus infected his elder brother living in a flat on the seventh floor. Through excretion the virus spread through plumbing. One speculated theory that supported airborne transmission was that the virus was spread through dried up U-shaped P-traps in the plumbing and was blown by a maritime breeze to the ventilation of the estate's balcony and stairwells. It was confirmed that the virus can spread via droplets, but this latest outbreak made the officials question the possibility of spreading through the air.

BTW: The current number of cases at the Gardens has been upped to 321-people.

Mark
                Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-04-2009, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks Mark
                  The only problem is this"the virus was spread through dried up U-shaped P-traps in the plumbing and was blown by a maritime breeze to the ventilation of the estate's balcony and stairwells.". This would indicate it is airborne...if not long lived.
                  Good to know
                  Mike

Comment

They also found cracks in the vents which helped spread it even more. It is very short lived as after 20-days without a new case, Hong Kong was considered clean. However, with over 300-people from one complex wandering around it didn't take too long to infect others. A bunch of Canadians who were visiting Hong Kong brought it back to Canada. As I recall they were there on a medical convention so they probably brought it back to hospitals in Canada. By the time it was done they had 438 cases in Canada.

Mark

Comment

Unfortunatly you can cite case after case of faulty plumbing, or backflow or cross connection nightmares but there will always be a group that either don't care or don't believe. We have become a society of people willing to justify almost anything in order to meet their own ends.
                      sigpic

Comment

So i went to pull a permit for a furnace installation when I asked them to pull the folder they told me that it was already signed onto. So the homeowner pulled their own permit to install a gas furnace and the gas lines. I said to her are you crazy were talking about natural gas. She said we don't care if its a single family house and if they blow them self up It is their right to do so. But it will need to be inspected. But I do run across homeowner hacks and pro hacks all the time. I would say 30% of our business is fixing improper jobs.

Comment

I loved the $0.00 45 with free burn marks.
                          About licensing- you will never find duct tape application techniques in any plumbing code book.
                          ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                          X