X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewater the ground????

Here's the scoop; We're building a bridge on a training camp here in VA and the bridge sits on these big concrete blocks. Problem is the the bridge is spanning a river bed and the water table is at 12" below grade. We have to dig down to 6' below grade to build up for the subgrade. The river is currently diverted but the water is still there making it impossible to build a strong base for these blocks to sit on. What's the best way to get the water out of the ground temporarily? Some of our guys know soil stabilization so that's not the issue. They just need the water gone and since I'm a plumber, plumber/water, guess who get's to figure it out.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Dewater the ground????

Drive sheet pile 10 foot deep around the area and install dewatering pumps.

Or just try driving well points spaced around your work perimeter. Tie them together with some pipe (must be able to withstand suction of pump) into a header and run to your dewatering pump(s). Discharge the water far downhill or some other method to ensure it does not re-enter your excavation.

How big of an area?
    Can you treat each block as a separate area?
    Is there no one from CEC there to engineer this?

Contact Godwin Pumps if you can rent equipment.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      How big of an area? 15'x20'x6'
      Can you treat each block as a separate area? yes
      Is there no one from CEC there to engineer this? negative
      i had a good laugh about the cec, thanks
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Driving the steel sheeting is the best bet but can run the cost of the job up alot. You can over dig the width and length. On the sides that you can make a dewatering area that will be dug slightly deeper than your required depth. Base your excavation with trap rock to allow the water to move towards the dewatering areas. You will have pumps set up in the dewatering areas. This all depends on the type of soil you are have, if it is sandy and loose it won't work. The excavation walls will continue to collapse. You can also get a cheap pump to set in the middle of the excavation depending on the excavation size. The pump will be abandoned in place when done. Just some things we have done in the past that might work for you.

Comment

You guy's have way too much fun.
          sigpic

Comment

The pile or bridge support will not float in unstable soil if you expect this bridge to carry any kind of dynamic load.

Sheet pile is typically used to prevent running water from eroding inflow and outflow areas on bridges.

Since you will have to dig down until you find a good layer for your supports to be of any use just open things up and pump. (unless you plan to pile drive supports then water will not matter)

If you are making a simple foot bridge we used to used sections of telephone pole pushed into the ground by a large trackhoe I'm sure this method would be scalable to larger applications as well.

After further review... Just open the area up and pump (Sorry I got hung up on the bridge itself)

Okie
            Last edited by OkieBill; 01-03-2009, 12:33 PM. Reason: Had to reread the post to see what information was really being asked for...

Comment

Concrete with 3% calcium

Pour a continuous monolific slab suitable to the area per pillar

Then sonotube the uprights with rebar that was bent out of the monolific slab.

Pouring concrete into water at such a thickness along with plasticizer is done in rivers all the time.

There's actually a guy permanently buried in the upright support of the suspension bridge, forever. Family was paid a large sum even though the accident was human error when the guy fell in the hole.

The hole, back then was wood structured down to the most solid surface under the river and poured, water displaced out the top and in less than 2 hours, concrete was solidified.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Read how it was done back in the 1870's.
                The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge by David McCullough

Comment

about halve way down it talks about dewatering the hole they had to recover the steamboat Araba that sunk in 1856 in the Mississippi river even tho now it was nearly a mile from the river,
                  http://www.glswrk-auction.com/102.htm
                  (some pictures of the process at the web site)
                  As with any new venture problems can quickly develop. The Arabia lay in an old underground river channel below the water level and at the 20 foot level of the dig, water began flowing in. To extract the water so the dig could continue, 20 wells, each about 65 feet deep, were constructed around the hull of the wreck. Each well was made of steel casings and had heavy duty water pumps placed inside. Thousands of feet of steel and plastic pipe were then installed to remove and divert the water away from the excavation site. When working at there peak these pumps would remove as much as 20,000 gallons of water-per-minute, sending it back into the Missouri River, over a half mile away.

museum site of the steamboat, Araba
                  http://www.1856.com/

very interesting read, if your into any type of history
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Brooklen bridge
                    http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/brooklynbridge.htm

The first objective was to securely anchor the bridge's two towers on the solid bedrock found under the layers of mud below the East River. A huge wooden caisson, resembling a giant box, was assembled on land, towed to the site of the Brooklyn-side tower and sunk. Compressed air was pumped into the chamber to prevent the surrounding water from leaking in. The caisson's false floor was then ripped out allowing workers to dig up the river bottom.

The working conditions within the caisson resembled a scene from Dante's Inferno. The tremendous pressure, the suffocating heat, the lack of oxygen and the noise all combined to limit a worker's time within the caisson to a maximum of two hours. As they ascended through the compressed air to the top of the caisson, the workers were threatened with the crippling and painful effects of the bends - an imbalance of nitrogen in the blood caused by a too rapid ascension out of the compressed air.
                    more on the process at the URL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    a company simular to the one posted at the top of th e thread,
                    http://www.valardwellpoint.ca/tech/WELL-POINTS_2
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We used to use what the boss called "C mix" and dump it straight into flooded forms ( It would displace the water as it went in).

From what I remember it was not air entrained and it had 2 times the cement powder in the mix design

Okie

Comment

Ben I was a union Pile Buck for Years. Here's a simple cheap fix.

www.abchance.com/helical-anchors.asp

Contact the co. a guy in Your area can install these. 10" galvy helicals driven to refusal
                        or so many Kips. You can pull and re-use later. Most struct. and many Geo techs. don't have a clue on these. Can be put in with a skid steer. Raised My home on one side 3 1/2"
                        You have My phone # if needed
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

when i was laying pipe on long island we used the system Bob talked about and we also used a system that froze the ground
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                          X