Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When to Say Uncle?

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
    Dirty Jobs or Tougher in Alaska? I can't remember the name of the show but the whole time I was thinking, 'oh.. poor Vince'
    Gene,

believe it or not, i really do love wear i live. i thrive on the cold.

i suppose if i was running around naked i might not like it so much. i'm really glad my ancestors didn't take on that practice.

the fresher than fresh fish (try and say than 10 times real fast), the blizzards, square tires, frost bite. i love it.

i'm built for it. more importantly, i dress for it.

you guys are the tough ones. the heat. the dreaded heat.

when we get up 77 F (25 C), it might as well be called a freak'in heat wave. poowwaaa!

ever smell a sweating eskimo? poowwaaa!

Vince

Comment

if i wasn't making progress after an hour or 2, i would either camera the line to locate a place for another c/o or get the big jetter and let it work.

20 runs with any machine is crazy. anytime a set of blades are covered in paper/ dryer cloths, roots, you get no cutting progress.

the nice thing about a jetter is that the water pulverizes the stuff and it rarely will get loaded up. they make root saws for a jetter, but we use the warthog with no blades. forward jet cuts, and rear jetes clean and propel.

time for a jetter.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        if i wasn't making progress after an hour or 2, i would either camera the line to locate a place for another c/o or get the big jetter and let it work.

20 runs with any machine is crazy. anytime a set of blades are covered in paper/ dryer cloths, roots, you get no cutting progress.

the nice thing about a jetter is that the water pulverizes the stuff and it rarely will get loaded up. they make root saws for a jetter, but we use the warthog with no blades. forward jet cuts, and rear jetes clean and propel.

time for a jetter.

rick.
        I agree.... I have kinda been working with what I have Jetter will not be an option until I buy one ( there are none within an hour of me) same with the camera and the ability to locate... I will have the market once I can afford it

Comment

Why not use a bigger cutter? Was this in 3" pipe? When I retrive a lot of cable and if space permits, I'll just forget the machine and walk it out of the pipe, disconnencting it in 30' sections. I can probably retrive 120' in less than 3 minutes easy. Often when you're grinding away and you pull nothing back, you have a huge root ball. Sometimes I'll go the opposite route and put a smaller spiral saw blade on. Other than my g17 cutter, I don't have a lot of luck with c cutters, I like spiral blades more.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

are you trying to get this thread back on track or some thing

im sorry for getting it off track a little
            i will start a new thread about vince i think some people find it different how to do plumbing way way way up north
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

[quote=gear junkie;198327]Why not use a bigger cutter? Was this in 3" pipe? When I retrive a lot of cable and if space permits, I'll just forget the machine and walk it out of the pipe, disconnencting it in 30' sections. I can probably retrive 120' in less than 3 minutes easy. Often when you're grinding away and you pull nothing back, you have a huge root ball. Sometimes I'll go the opposite route and put a smaller spiral saw blade on. Other than my g17 cutter, I don't have a lot of luck with c cutters, I like spiral blades more.[/quote]

i've found that the spiral saw does 2 things. in forward it's a mean cutter.

in reverse it's a real good retriever. the open end will actually grap the ball and break it loose.

then again my g17 reverse running auger is the bomb

everyones got 1, no one knows it

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I have been comming back with enough junk on the end of the retriever to
                make it a tuff pull after a few times...

This yard actually had that plastic mesh / web that landscapers use to get a help get a yard started ....

My cables would randomly find this stuff and tangle so I had to run a section of 2" PVC to feed my cables through

My plan as of right now is to talk to the city and see exactly where the main is (this is a 100 year old area of town no manholes) I think I'm going far enough out that I may be in their pipe (This house may also be the end of a line by the looks of things)

If I could get my taxes done I may be able to buy a scout to give me a better idea of where I am

If I'm not into the main then I will keep working it until I say Uncle

Comment

when i get a dog sewer job,when i know i have made it to the city line ,and still no flow...i give it all a push with a blow bag, sometimes thats all it takes. to get it done

Comment

I didn't see a small single blade cutter. I don't use one unless I've got no choice, but sometimes when I think it's going to be hopeless. I'll go super small and go from there. I start with a big cutter but sometimes a small single blade opens it and gets enough roots out to get a bigger cutter through.

I do think at 20 times in and out it would be O.K. to recommend a dig up.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                    X