Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to Say Uncle?

Blind is the worst place to be....

Thats what I said after retrieving 120' of 7/8" sectional cable for the 20th time today... ( I work alone)

I'm hitting her with everything I have and am only getting results in this order...

1. Send the 2.5" spiral saw in and work it between 90' and 120'
    (spiral comes with very little on it)
    2. Send in the 2 blade cutter work same area
    3. Send in retriever and pull back a handfull of a combo of Roots / dryer sheets/ plastic bag and paper towels / wipes.

(I think the cutters are getting wrapped in stuff and not getting it done if I send the retriever before the cutters I get hardly anything)

My arms hurt and I'm coverd in OPS (Other Peoples $hit) and I'm still not through it...

All I could think of as I was pulling all of that sectional cable was
    "Impressionator" my A$$ It would impress me if it would send and retrieve all this damn cable by itself

It sucks to be a sectional guy today, Wish I had a drum big enough...

Okie

Re: When to Say Uncle?

I've been there, not that I care, but I wouldn't go back to it on a dare.

If you're covered in OPS, that cable has to be covered with the nasties. Wait till you hit a hairball that winds into where you clip them together, lands on both sides.

BONK!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Flat rate pricing would come in handy here...or a $49.99 drain cleaning special ($35 trip charge of course).

Been there myself, I can relate. Good thing everyday is not like this, huh?

Comment

Very true...

I'm glad all drains are not like this one

Comment

Come to the dark side. A big drum with a nice auto-feed. The machine does all the work. My k-60 still rides backup for the occasional difficult access job. But for the most part it sits around watching its cousin k-7500 breeze through jobs.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Those really hard jobs are the ones that bite to do as a flatrate. I only figure an outside cleanout cable job for one hour. Any more time than that and I am essentially working for free for that second or third hour. Luckily they are very rare...especially with an auto-feed drum.

Comment

Usually when I'm talking to friends and tell them I was talking to my Mom's brother...........

Ohhhh.....sorry......did I misinterpret another thread title? My bad.....
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

This thread reminds me I need to get some extra cable for my drum. That way I can do drains up to 200' with the drum and not bother taking all day messing around with a sectional.

Comment

you guys must be built like a brick $h!thouses.

i see uses for both machines. i guess it really has to do with the type of service calls one does. ie; building sewers (outside) or inside work on fixture drains and such.

we rarely use drain cleaners up here. the pipes are either greased up, or crushed.

digging a big hole at -40 below will get your mojo going.

i did some root clearing in montreal 10 years ago with a big drum. very interesting. nobody mentioned anything about rats the size of a small dog when i got hired on.

Vince

anybody ever snag a rat?

Comment

vince
                    are the pipes in the ground i saw a show that in northern Alaska the pipes are above ground wrapped with heat tape and with insulation
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      vince
                      are the pipes in the ground i saw a show that in northern Alaska the pipes are above ground wrapped with heat tape and with insulation
                      they are. the pipe is HDPE, maybe sched 80.

this pipe is actually designed for above ground use only. we use it underground in the perma-frost. it's pretty tough stuff.

iqaluit, baffin island is simular to the system you saw on tv. over here we call "utilidor".

i believe inuvik, northwest territories is heated from the waste heat the power generators produce. every house/building has a supply and return piping. but their's is also above ground.

here in rankin, some of the larger buildings are heated from the power plant. but that pipe is sched 40 steel.

Vince

the pipe is connected together using a method called butt fussion

if done properly, it's said that the joint is stronger than the pipe

Comment

I'm with you Vince it takes more than one machine to raise a sewer. Oops I meant clean a sewer.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post

the pipe is connected together using a method called butt fussion

if done properly, it's said that the joint is stronger than the pipe
                          this is the same way they did the well piping for a geothermal job i did
                          i wish we could do this for piping in side the building also

vince when you do the red at the bottom try to use size 2 it is hard to see the small print
                          thanks
                          Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                            vince
                            Dirty Jobs or Tougher in Alaska? I can't remember the name of the show but the whole time I was thinking, 'oh.. poor Vince'
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              Dirty Jobs or Tougher in Alaska? I can't remember the name of the show but the whole time I was thinking, 'oh.. poor Vince'
                              it was tougher in Alaska love that show
                              Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Working...
                              X