Residential steam units

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential steam units

So I need some advice as to what to get for a job I am doing.

I try to steer clear of plumbing work and stick with the drains, but I have a job for my neighbor that I am doing so they can avoid the hack guys that have been recommended by their insurance company. These guys are totally in bed with the adjusters.

I will be remodeling a hall bathroom for them. This job will include gutting the entire bath and installing a shower pan with a liner, framed seat and a Moen shower valve with body sprays and a rain head.

Heres my question, they want to add a steam unit for the shower too. It has been a long time since I have installed one and even looked into what types are available. What would be good for a 5' x 8' shower?

Also, I know I can get one of these at the supply house but is there another source on line I should look at?

I'm going to have to blow the dust off of my fitting trays and dig through those burlap bags of plastic fittings but it should go well I hope.

Thanks for the help.
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Re: Residential steam units

JR, been awhile since I installed one. I used Mr. Steam. No callbacks. Just installed exactly as directions state and/or what plumbing code dictates. Whichever is more strict.

I also treat them like an interior water heater install and put them in a small pan with a drain.

http://www.mrsteam.com

Good luck.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-03-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Having installed a number of brands, my favorite is Steamist. Good product and decent support. http://www.steamist.com/steambath-res-products3.htm
      They have a sizing table at their site. You fill in the blanks, it does the calculations and gives you the appropriate model.
      Remember to slope the ceiling of the room, per mfgr's instructions.
      Last edited by Plumbus; 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
        Having installed a number of brands, my favorite is Steamist. Good product and decent support. http://www.steamist.com/steambath-res-products3.htm
        They have a sizing table at their site. You fill in the blanks, it does the calculations and gives you the appropriate model.
        Remember to slope the ceiling of the room, per mfgr's instructions.
        I've also used these with no callbacks. Thanks Plumbus. Almost forgot one.

J.C.

Comment

Steamist is the product you want. Get a unit that has a temp. sensor mounted inside the shower area instead of timer. Timer will overheat the area and be uncomfortable. A few extra bucks but well worth it. Don't bother with the self draining selonoid. A charcoal water filter on inlet to avoid smelly steam.

Careful planning where the steamhead goes. Away from feet while sitting on the bench. No traps on steam line and should have adequate grade towards the head. Insulate with 1" fiberglass (not Armorflex) on any runs over 10 feet. Add a high CFM exhaust fan if you can.

I prefer a eucalyptus oil for steaming after a hard day.

Comment

I concur with Crack...except for the eucalyptus it reminds me of Vick's vapor rub.
            Mike

Comment

I've intalled a lot of the "ThermoSol,6KW Pro Series" this last year.They list around $1,900.The customers seem to be happy with them.

Are you going to get "Auto-Flush".

T+P needs to daylight to outside.Just like a water heater.At least that's our code

Make sure you put a pan underneath.

Comment

Cracks me up that when you go to those websites, the women in the pictures are fit and trim, something you'd want to see in a steamy bath scene.

But,

In the times I've been around jobs that were spec'd for that type of luxury, the women who wanted them were ones that I wouldn't want to even see with their shoes off.

Now why is that?

That is all.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  Cracks me up that when you go to those websites, the women in the pictures are fit and trim, something you'd want to see in a steamy bath scene.

But,

In the times I've been around jobs that were spec'd for that type of luxury, the women who wanted them were ones that I wouldn't want to even see with their shoes off.

Now why is that?

That is all.

Totaly true.
                  I got nothin' for ya Dunbar,guess your going to look to your feminine side. Dunbar

Comment

I was trying to keep my pink handled hammer a secret. !!
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                    X