X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the inspection system fails.

Toilet on a year old house has been backing up and leaking through the ceiling. I pull it and find the flange is roughed in way too far back...9"!!!
    I have a strong feeling the GC did it himself, because the customer told me that he refused to warranty it, because the house changed owenership. He said his warranty only applies to the original owner. His solution was to give the new homeowner a plunger!!! Damn hack. I don't know how this passed inspection, but obviously the inspector here wasn't paying much attention.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: When the inspection system fails.

The measurement should be off the wall but even at that it looks like it is slightly under 10". The GC needs to man up and repair it.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I've worked in both North Carolina and Missouri now, and I can honestly say, I have never observed an inspector use a tape measure in regard to the plumbing inspection. On a rare occasion, you might see a 12" graded level come out and hit one or two pipes, but thats it. It quite honestly Bites, but most of the inspectors i've dealt with have only the slightest clue in regards to plumbing code, and even less of a clue as to the application.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

He told the customer he refuses. He said, "Go ahead take me to small claims court." She doesn't want to go through all that.

Comment

Also, think you can squeeze a 10" rough in tank in there?
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
            Also, think you can squeeze a 10" rough in tank in there?
            That is what they used. But it was STILL way off and caused the toilet to clog up and leak.

Comment

Here in Ca' our feeds come out off the wall ,not floor. Is this an exterior wall? Is freeze up a concern?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Exterior wall.

Comment

We replaced four 25 ton air conditioners at a drug store few years ago. I was really worried about the electrical inspection because there was an electrical code interpretation issue that if seen my way was going to make the job a real piece of cake. If the inspector saw it otherwise, we were in for a pretty penny in modifications.

Inspection day came around and I met the inspector in the parking lot. The first thing he said was, "Didn't realize it was you until I got here. Your good - I'm on to the next one".

At first I was relieved and happy to see him drive away, but a couple days later I actually felt cheated! If he was willing to do that for me then you know he was doing it somewhere where he really should have been looking! Plus the permit was something like $500 for all four units!
                  spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    That is what they used. But it was STILL way off and caused the toilet to clog up and leak.
                    Bah, probably comes up beside a joist and the hack who installed it was too lazy to header it off. Or it's installed next to a truss and it was either a 9 inch rough in, or make it a 16 inch rough in. either way ending up being crap.

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                      Inspection day came around and I met the inspector in the parking lot. The first thing he said was, "Didn't realize it was you until I got here. Your good - I'm on to the next one".

At first I was relieved and happy to see him drive away, but a couple days later I actually felt cheated! If he was willing to do that for me then you know he was doing it somewhere where he really should have been looking! Plus the permit was something like $500 for all four units!
                      i have had that happen and they say they know our company does guilty work from past inspections so he does not look at all the little things

i had a inspector that i have never seen before and as he was looking at my duct work he kept saying yup look again and again all over the job saying yup yup yup . then he started wighting saying the same thing ,then hands me the paper that says it past .
                      he then said i wish he had more jobs as good as this so he does not have to fail them and come back
                      i was happy
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Try this site.
                        http://www.nclicensing.org/Complaint.htm

or check his license here:

NC Licensed General Contractor Directory
                        NC Licensed Plumber Directory
                        NC Licensed Electrical Contractor Directory

(ask to see his plumbing license, he HAS to by law provide you with the information if you ask for it.) Make sure you follow up with a registered letter if he does not asking for the same information. Save a copy and any response for use in court.)

From a recent Newsletter to licensed Plumbers in NC (see pg 6)
                        ---------------------------------------------------

Recently we have received a large number of complaints where licensed contractors
                        are sub-contracting work that requires a license to persons who do not hold a license
                        or are not on the licensed contractors payroll, where taxes are being withheld. It appears
                        to be more predominant in tract housing and apartment complex plumbing and
                        heating installations, but does happen in all other areas in our industry. During my 11
                        plus years with the Board I have investigated many complaints where unlicensed installers
                        are sub-contracting installations and are more concerned with completing the
                        job as soon as possible in order to make more money on the project. This directly
                        leads to sloppy, poorly designed and sub-standard installation. The General Statutes
                        of North Carolina state that the only person exempted from having to hold a license is
                        a "bona-fide employee of a licensee of our Board." (G.S. 87-25, last sentence.) Several
                        years ago the Board issued the following definition of a "bona-fide employee":
                        .0512 EMPLOYEES AS EXEMPTED FROM LICENSURE
                        (a) As used in G.S. 87-25, the phrase "bona-fide employee" shall mean and refer to an individual who is directly
                        and regularly employed in the ordinary course of business by a contractor licensed pursuant to G.S. 87, Article
                        2. Factors establishing whether the individual is directly and regularly employed in the ordinary course of business
                        of such contractor include, without limitation, the following:
                        (1) whether the individual is on the licensed contractor's payroll;
                        (2) whether the licensed contractor withholds taxes from the payment to the individual and performs such
                        other acts as are lawfully required of an employer;
                        (3) whether the licensed contractor exercises control over the method and manner of the individual's work;
                        and
                        (4) whether the licensed contractor, and not the individual, is and remains obligated to the owner for the work.
                        (b)
                        Persons acting as independent contractors, consultants or subcontractors, or paid as such, are not
                        bona-fide employees.

According to the above rules, anyone performing plumbing, heating, fire sprinkler or fuel piping installations is
                        required to be on a licensed contractor’s payroll where taxes are being withheld and receiving W-2s or they
                        must hold an active license themselves. We have and will continue to prosecute anyone found subcontracting
                        to unlicensed persons. If you are a licensed contractor who presently is sub-contracting work that requires a
                        license to unlicensed persons and these persons are not on your payroll as bona-fide employees or do not hold
                        their own licenses, then you are opening yourself to a complaint from the Board for allowing the unlicensed person
                        to use your license. Violations of license peddling could lead to suspension or possible revocation of your
                        license. In addition, the unlicensed person will be pursued for working without a license. This rule is very clear
                        and enforcement will take place.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If there was a 10" rough in toilet installed is NOT roughed in incorrectly. Your typical is 12", yes. You can also have 10" or 14". If you look at the position of the tape measure, it's against the baseboard. About 1" baseboard & 1" drywall.

11" rough in. 1" of extra room for a 10" rough in.

J.C.
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-03-2009, 10:18 PM.

Comment

hrmm, have I been doing it wrong? I always rough my flanges in a half inch further out to make up for the half inch of sheetrock. so I actually put my 12" flange at 12.5 off the studwall. reading JC's reply made me think he would do a 10 inch rough in at 10 inches off the rough studs.

Comment

1/2" for rock and a 3/4" base (max) is more likely I think, which would be a 10-1/4" rough.

I don't know how the home warranty system works in NC, or if they even have one, but here in NJ it is 10 years on a new home and it doesn't matter how many times its sold. Whoever owns it at the time is covered in that 10 years.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X