Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: plumbing in the far north with vince the plumber

Hate to say it,

But at 41 degrees in my area, I just cleaned out an area drain at my house.

The water coming out of the hose along with me holding grates up, spraying them out along with clearing pounds of leaves out of the slot drain, my hands slowly went extremely cold, hard to move and became desensitized, and anything with a sharp edge even with rubber gloves felt like a sharp needle.

I am NOT cut out for cold weather climates, especially when my hands were large enough to palm two basketballs independently.

Kudos to anyone who works in the cold like this. I can deal with extremely cold feet, cold nose, cold stomach, cold everything. But once my hands go cold, I am literally screwed and cannot do anything. A doctor told me the name of the disease but I obviously didn't care to remember it, just add it to my list!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      I'd always wanted to try one of these boot dryers but didn't want to waste the $30-$40 for what looks like something that wouldn't work.
      I finally found one at a yard sale for $2 so I bought it to try it out and I am impressed.

No fan or anything, just two heating elements like a toaster at the bottom and it will dry out a soaking wet pair of boots over night.

I'd easily pay the $30-$40 now.
      years ago there was a product on the market that fit over the forced air register.

i made my own out of abs with holes drilled in the top.

it worked really good.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
        I think its a Walleye.
        That it is...about a 3 pounder
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Vince,
          Canadian Tire Store has a Noma boot dryer/air circulator in the flyer this week for 19 bucks. You put them into boots and plug them in- that's it.
          Looks like you could put this to good use!!!

On the page with the hockey skates.

http://thedealpost.com/viewtopic.php?t=377

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Hate to say it,

But at 41 degrees in my area, I just cleaned out an area drain at my house.

The water coming out of the hose along with me holding grates up, spraying them out along with clearing pounds of leaves out of the slot drain, my hands slowly went extremely cold, hard to move and became desensitized, and anything with a sharp edge even with rubber gloves felt like a sharp needle.

I am NOT cut out for cold weather climates, especially when my hands were large enough to palm two basketballs independently.

Kudos to anyone who works in the cold like this. I can deal with extremely cold feet, cold nose, cold stomach, cold everything. But once my hands go cold, I am literally screwed and cannot do anything. A doctor told me the name of the disease but I obviously didn't care to remember it, just add it to my list!

Raynaud's disease. Sometimes it can be a side effect to certain medications. Either that or your arteries are clogged. I'm thinking the latter.
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
              Raynaud's disease. Sometimes it can be a side effect to certain medications. Either that or your arteries are clogged. I'm thinking the latter.

That's it!

But I can put my finger on my wrist and get a strong pulse...

Had this since I was 17, ain't dead yet!
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                i found it amazon about the way he does plumbing that far north in very cold weather .
                so this thread is all about talking to vince about doing things in the below 0 temps . so next time your out side and your hands get cold and it is 30* think of how he does it at -45*

my first question is what type of truck do you use and how do you keep you pipe dope ,flux ,glue and other things from freezing
                I too find it "amazon" Hawk.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                  Keep it up and I'll call lobster..........
                  I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Had to cable a main from an outside cleanout today

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      It's because you know every cuss word known to man--and use'm
                      JUST KIDDING!

That was Funny

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                        Had to cable a main from an outside cleanout today
                        I've had more outside clean outs in a month than I had all year now that it's cold. Saturday I had to heat my auto feed up with a torch because it was frozen.

Yes Vince I have it easy compared to you, but I'm still going to feel sorry for myself when I have to work under a mobile home in the cold. I'm very happy I don't rough house's in anylonger in this cold crap

Comment

i'm curious guys,

i don't work with drain cleaner very often and there aren't and drum cleaners up here, do you ever snap the connector for the head attachment off, and if so how do you repair it, or do you have to buy a whole new cable?

thanks for the pics jay

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                            its all fun and games until some one becomes a spelling expert
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

vince 2 things

with the socks a lot of people that hike a lot in the winter say cotton kills ,cotton holds to much moisture and will male your feet cold
                              have you tried using wicking socks with 100% wool over them ,wool when it gets wet it will still keep you warm .

and is that a picture of you as your avatar
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                                vince 2 things

with the socks a lot of people that hike a lot in the winter say cotton kills ,cotton holds to much moisture and will male your feet cold
                                have you tried using wicking socks with 100% wool over them ,wool when it gets wet it will still keep you warm .

and is that a picture of you as your avatar
                                regarding the socks, i'm going to try that. i'm a little behind on the latest technology but since i've gotten the internet the world has opened up for me.

as for the pic, thankfully no that's not me. this picture was taken back in the 40's i believe. he's wearing the original sunglasses. i puched in "old inuit pictures" then i browsed the different sites.

Vince

how can you tell it's an old picture? he has his own teeth

Comment

Working...
                                X