Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: plumbing in the far north with vince the plumber

Not to mention anything off subject.

I guess we gotta' go back to cold and sock talk.

J.C.

Comment

I am watching a great special on pbs called "Liquid assets:The story of our water infrastructure". Didn't find the nova show here.
      Yea.Major thread drift!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
        I am watching a great special on pbs called "Liquid assets:The story of our water infrastructure". Didn't find the nova show here.
        Yea.Major thread drift!

Damn. I've got the esteemed Mayor Nagan (spelling?) from hurricane katrina. I want the Story of Our FAILING Infrastructure.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Major thread drift?

Oh, sorry. I thought this was the chat room
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
            Yea.Major thread drift!
            I've got most of that taped, it is pretty interesting.

Comment

so back to the cold
              vince you were going to put up a picture of some gloves

did it warm up there today at all
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                A while back I was laying under a trailer with no skirting repairing a water line that had frozen. It was around 0 degrees and the wind was howling.

I have to admit, I didn't think of Vince. The only thing that ran though my head was, "Why does God hate me?". I believe I used every cuss word known to man, in no particular order, in succession. My cell phone battery even froze.

Vince, I would like to know about footwear. What are the best insulating socks? My feet always get cold. Why type of boots do you use? I bet it's a pain going in and out of homes.

Been there, done that a few times.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flowofmoney View Post
                  Been there, done that a few times.
                  Just how cold does it get in Tampa?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                    i really like the 3 fingered mitts. i wore those out.

at the moment i've got a pair that resemble army issue with a pair of gloves without the finger tips inside those.

i'll post a pic of some homemade mitts that my tammy wears when she gets home from work in about an hour.

in the old days, each piece of clothing was custom fit for the wearer.

inuit women have been called the best sewers in the world. judging from the clothing i've seen, that's not surprising.

Vince

green peace would have a heart attack if they saw the amount of fur we wear up here
                    here's the mitts.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Not sure what my fascination with that part of the world is Vince, but I really enjoy reading your posts.

I replaced 2 RTU's on a BlockBuster today. It was probably warm by your standards (18 degrees farhenheit with wind chill around zero) but it was plenty cold enough for me. I have 4 more to do next week and they are saying highs in the low teens.

Andy

Comment

we just had our first snow in 3 years a couple weeks ago. it snowed for two hours in the morning. we got about an inch. i stayed home until the afternoon when the snow melted. people here can't drive when it's dry out much less when it's snowing. everybody freaks out when we see snow.

they even let the kids out of school because of the snow. not a surprise considering kids here get a week off of school for mardi gras.

i don't know how you guys do it, too cold for me.

the downside is during the summer we see 95 to 100 degrees regularly which is made worse by the 95% humidity. steamy hot. you sweat standing still.

and yet i still can't seem to lose weight

Comment

Score! One of my customers just gave me a dozen pair of Merino Wool socks today.

Good to have a customer in the sock business.

J.C.

Comment

nice gloves vince they look warm
                            Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                              Not sure what my fascination with that part of the world is Vince, but I really enjoy reading your posts.

I replaced 2 RTU's on a BlockBuster today. It was probably warm by your standards (18 degrees farhenheit with wind chill around zero) but it was plenty cold enough for me. I have 4 more to do next week and they are saying highs in the low teens.

Andy
                              thats why i started this thread because i to am fascinated with what he does in that type of weather
                              and he is a nice guy to
                              Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                                nice gloves vince they look warm
                                these ones are made from cow leather.

traditionally they are made from seal skin and are in fact waterproof. they are also made from polar bear and caribou skin.

i know some of the guys were looking for a good pair of waterproof mitts but the seal skin ones have a smell that, lets just say is aquired. if your not used to the smell of seal, it's enough to make most people toss their cookies, or at least vocally emit the gag reflex. it took me a while to get used to it.

Vince

all of our clothing made from skins has to be stored either outside during the winter or in a freezer during the summer so they don't dry out. they are hard as a rock if they dry out.

Comment

Working...
                                X