Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: plumbing in the far north with vince the plumber

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
    there's an island located about 25 miles from here that has a ship wreck from about 1640 something. it's called marble island because the island is all quartz.

capt james knight and his crew became shipwrecked when they hit "hidden rock". they missed it when they did the sounding for the little bay that the ship is located in.

the cold water has preserved the wreck and it can be seen from the top at low tide and if the water is calm.

"dead silence" is the name of the book. i can't remember the name of the author. excellent reading.

i've been to the island and old inuit stories say that a old woman felt that she was no longer any use to her people so she set herself adrift on a piece of ice and turned it into a rock. out of respect for her spirit, every visitor's first time on the island must crawl on their elbows and knees or they'll get lost on the little island that is only 3 miles wide and about 12 miles long.

because the capt and his crew refused the help from the inuit, they all perished. they never stood a chance. there is nothing on that island but rock and a little plants.

Vince
    i found this.

http://www.marbleisland.ca/history03.html#knight

interesting reading.

Vince

Comment

with all the permafrost there where does all the waste go
      is there a sewer system in town
      how deep is it
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
        with all the permafrost there where does all the waste go
        is there a sewer system in town
        how deep is it
        the waste? oh the waste!!I thought you ment wasted. ........ hummm.......nope don't have a clue what your're talk'in 'bout............................................. .................................................. ..................................

the solids are screened out via a SS drum with SS screens.

unfortunately hawk, the raw sewage is dumped into the hudson's as is. untreated. that's one of our dirty little secrets.

(in other words, whatever is dumped into a drain, ends up in the hudson's bay.

i invited the federal gooberment (dept. of fisheries & oceans ((DFO)) to our local tailings pond that has fishing nets located mere metres from the fall-out, they refused to come to my tent for tea).

i know, i know. the long term environmental impact can be and will be sever over time. i suppose the way our/(sorry) my gov't is thinking is that it's better to pollute the water than the air. the $$$,$$$,$$$.$$/year it would cost the taxppayers to warm the effuent where it would be warm enough to treat with natural bacteria, this would be cost prohibative with our current gov't practices (i'm just a eskimo, what do i know?????).

this is the reason i don't buy fish caught from here. in fact, the pregnant women are told not to eat anything that comes from the salt water. heavy metals!!!!

there is a sewer system in town not unlike your system south. there's only a couple of differences.

#1 - all of our water/sewer, water/sewer services are HDPE. it's pretty tough stuff.

#2 - dead-end sewer mains must be protected from freezing with a bleeder. hopefully there's a backflow prevention device installed. (i personally pulled a vaccum on a 6" water main @ 50psi with a ford 8000 840 fire pumper. it had a 540 CI V8. 5 speed stick.)

our mains are about 15 - 20 ' at deepest. i can't be sure because i've not been prevy to the latest additions to the system.

the most important thing with sewers up here is to maintain the maximum of 1/4" drop per foot after the WC.

reason is the water will run faster and leave the poop and TP behind to freeze in the sewer service. ever heard the saying, "stuck to it like hot $h!t to a blanket? yeah, like that except opposite.

i hope that answers your questions hawk.

Vince

currently; -55, blizzard conditions (day 3).

in this pic, that's ice on my eyelashes, eyebrows, forehead, and fur.

i love it!!..................2nd pic - little bit of clean-up, good to go, .................................................. ....................again.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
          the waste? oh the waste!!I thought you ment wasted. ........ hummm.......nope don't have a clue what your're talk'in 'bout............................................. .................................................. ..................................

the solids are screened out via a SS drum with SS screens.

unfortunately hawk, the raw sewage is dumped into the hudson's as is. untreated. that's one of our dirty little secrets.

(in other words, whatever is dumped into a drain, ends up in the hudson's bay.

i invited the federal gooberment (dept. of fisheries & oceans ((DFO)) to our local tailings pond that has fishing nets located mere metres from the fall-out, they refused to come to my tent for tea).

i know, i know. the long term environmental impact can be and will be sever over time. i suppose the way our/(sorry) my gov't is thinking is that it's better to pollute the water than the air. the $$$,$$$,$$$.$$/year it would cost the taxppayers to warm the effuent where it would be warm enough to treat with natural bacteria, this would be cost prohibative with our current gov't practices (i'm just a eskimo, what do i know?????).

this is the reason i don't buy fish caught from here. in fact, the pregnant women are told not to eat anything that comes from the salt water. heavy metals!!!!

there is a sewer system in town not unlike your system south. there's only a couple of differences.

#1 - all of our water/sewer, water/sewer services are HDPE. it's pretty tough stuff.

#2 - dead-end sewer mains must be protected from freezing with a bleeder. hopefully there's a backflow prevention device installed. (i personally pulled a vaccum on a 6" water main @ 50psi with a ford 8000 840 fire pumper. it had a 540 CI V8. 5 speed stick.)

our mains are about 15 - 20 ' at deepest. i can't be sure because i've not been prevy to the latest additions to the system.

the most important thing with sewers up here is to maintain the maximum of 1/4" drop per foot after the WC.

reason is the water will run faster and leave the poop and TP behind to freeze in the sewer service. ever heard the saying, "stuck to it like hot $h!t to a blanket? yeah, like that except opposite.

i hope that answers your questions hawk.

Vince

currently; -55, blizzard conditions (day 3).

in this pic, that's ice on my eyelashes, eyebrows, forehead, and fur.

i love it!!..................2nd pic - little bit of clean-up, good to go, .................................................. ....................again.

I think I figured it out Vince. That smile is frozen on your face, -55 and you like it????
          The Other Rick

Comment

Vince

Comment

Not to be glib but it is easy to see how life can be lost so easily in your environment. Stay safe and don't play Superman too many times.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Not to be glib but it is easy to see how life can be lost so easily in your environment. Stay safe and don't play Superman too many times.

Mark
                but it's hard to resist my tammy's requests/needs.

i can't help it Mark, it makes me feel alive.

Vince

if we get stuck, just make a borrow in a snow drift

Comment

Working...
                X