X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plumbing in the far north with vince the plumber

i found it amazon about the way he does plumbing that far north in very cold weather .
    so this thread is all about talking to vince about doing things in the below 0 temps . so next time your out side and your hands get cold and it is 30* think of how he does it at -45*

my first question is what type of truck do you use and how do you keep you pipe dope ,flux ,glue and other things from freezing
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: plumbing in the far north with vince the plumber

I'm not near as far North as Vince, so I don't wanna steal his thunder. But We've had about four weeks straight of between -25 and -40. My Van has been parked in the garage for all of it, meaning my garage is a mess. But this way keeps all of the liquids, liquids.
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
      i found it amazon about the way he does plumbing that far north in very cold weather .
      so this thread is all about talking to vince about doing things in the below 0 temps . so next time your out side and your hands get cold and it is 30* think of how he does it at -45*

my first question is what type of truck do you use and how do you keep you pipe dope ,flux ,glue and other things from freezing
      at the moment i'm using a snowmobile when it's too cold to start the ATV (when i do building checks). when i need a vehicle, ford or dodge.

as for keeping things liquid, make sure the truck is warmed up and transfer everthing quick. only open one door, because if there's a cross wind, things freeze real quick.

we don't have a jetter yet but a common practice up here is to run anti-freeze through it before putting in the truck bed.

i've had to use a small propane tank to heat up the 20lb'er so it'll work. same goes for the flux if it's frozen (we can't leave the brush in the can). i am thankful for compression fittings though, especially under the buildings (we don't have basements because of the perma-frost).

Vince

@ -40 with a good wind, tray of ice in about 7-10 min

we're experiencing a heat wave up here, -7.6F (-22C)

Comment

A while back I was laying under a trailer with no skirting repairing a water line that had frozen. It was around 0 degrees and the wind was howling.

I have to admit, I didn't think of Vince. The only thing that ran though my head was, "Why does God hate me?". I believe I used every cuss word known to man, in no particular order, in succession. My cell phone battery even froze.

Vince, I would like to know about footwear. What are the best insulating socks? My feet always get cold. Why type of boots do you use? I bet it's a pain going in and out of homes.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
          @ -40 with a good wind, tray of ice in about 7-10 min

Who in the heck would need ice!!!!

G3

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
            . What are the best insulating socks? My feet always get cold. Why type of boots do you use? I bet it's a pain going in and out of homes.
            Wool socks with lose fitting boots
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
              I'm not near as far North as Vince, so I don't wanna steal his thunder. But We've had about four weeks straight of between -25 and -40. My Van has been parked in the garage for all of it, meaning my garage is a mess. But this way keeps all of the liquids, liquids.
              We had -15 this morn.

Comment

Cold weather means ice fishing- never too cold. Too bad my brother got the only fish this weekend
                West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

nice fish

thanks vince i think this is what some people want to know on how you cope with temps that cold
                  it is a lot different when your dealing with temps that cold and some could learn a thing or two with your help

hay can i come up and work with you for a couple days ,i may be able to sell some AC units
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

The only thing that ran though my head was, "Why does God hate me?". I believe I used every cuss word known to man, in no particular order, in succession.
                    It's because you know every cuss word known to man--and use'm
                    JUST KIDDING!

Even here in the semi-toasty south I like to use the "warm toes" packets they sell at the big boxes. They help.
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

A while back I was laying under a trailer with no skirting repairing a water line that had frozen. It was around 0 degrees and the wind was howling.

I have to admit, I didn't think of Vince. The only thing that ran though my head was, "Why does God hate me?". I believe I used every cuss word known to man, in no particular order, in succession. My cell phone battery even froze.

i have to carry 2 radio phone batteries when i venture outdoors.

Vince, I would like to know about footwear. What are the best insulating socks? My feet always get cold. Why type of boots do you use? I bet it's a pain going in and out of homes.
                      i have a pair of "rocky gear" boots with 1200 grams of thinsulate. i have to buy boots that are -40 rated or better.

as for socks, all i wear is cotton sports socks with a thick pair over them. the cotton pair wick away sweat (yes, sweat) and the thick ones are the insulators. when it's really cold, i'll change my socks during lunch break so my feet and boot liners stay relitively dry. i see that there are battery powered socks that heat up. never tried them though.

gene hit the nail right on the head with the loose boots, not tight. it's very important to dry the boots overnight. thinsulate sole inserts work well in addition to the wool insoles. in our line if work it's important to buy boots that have a outer sole made of natural rubber. plastic soled boots are dangerous when they freeze when the wearer walks on ice. it's like trying to ice skate with dull blades.

as for going in and out, we try to set things up so one guy is inside and the other guy stays outside. sweat is the enemy.

hope that helps you out.

Vince

when laying on the ground, a pc of styrofoam works good to stop the ground from sucking the life out of you
                      Attached Files

Comment

bigpipe,

this spring i'll take some pics of our fish.

sometimes the hole in the ice has to be enlarged to get the fish out.

4' fish is about 350 yo. yes, 350.

is that a pike (jack fish)?

Vince

Comment

I'd always wanted to try one of these boot dryers but didn't want to waste the $30-$40 for what looks like something that wouldn't work.
                          I finally found one at a yard sale for $2 so I bought it to try it out and I am impressed.

No fan or anything, just two heating elements like a toaster at the bottom and it will dry out a soaking wet pair of boots over night.

I'd easily pay the $30-$40 now.
                          Attached Files
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I have boot dryers in my house. We call them radiators. They also work for gloves, hats towels...
                            sigpic

Comment

I think its a Walleye.

Comment

Working...
                              X