X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside pipe cutter?

I do alot of bathroom remodels and a very common problem seems to rare its ugly head at me.
    This is my problem, I run into alot of toilet flanges with that metal ring around the pvc pipe and it always seems to be completely rotted away. Now it is very easy to cut out old flange and replace with an all pvc flange but the problem is that the basement is finished with no access to piping or the bath is on the second or third floor with living space below the baths so I cant cut these out easily.
    Now I stick rags down the pipe and use a dremel grinding disc, but this takes to long, with the bits wearing away or constantly falling out of drill and down pipe.
    Very Very frustrating. Does anyone know if Ridgid or any other tool company makes an inside the pipe cutter that will cut pvc pipe from the inside? If so could you please point me in the direction of this wonder tool!!!!

[ 03-05-2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: rmurf69 ]

Now you've done it, got me thinkin
    I have used my spiral cut saw with 1/4" router bits and they never threaten to come out ... thank God.
    So get a rotozip or similar as long as you can get the speed down to 20,000 rpm or so, add a cutoff saw mandrel and 3" cutoff wheel and away you go

Comment

Wbrooks I have used that exact setup but have had problems accomplishing clean cuts and at times this setup is to short to get past existing flange. Dont get me wrong that setup works but Im curious to know if there is a tool out there that can make this less time consuming.

Comment

Try this site;
        http://www.deanbennett.com/internal-pipe-cutters.htm

I know I have used them years ago. I think the one I used was made by Reed or maybe Ridgid.
        Anyway, found the link above using Google and typing in search box " inside pipe cutter ".

Comment

Ask your local plumbung supply, I use Winnelson here in Tulsa they make what is called a RAM BIT all sizes from 1" to 4" that chuck up in your drill it will drill out the pipe fron the hub of any fitting great tool to have..
          Tim

Comment

Sorry Winnelson doesn't make them, not sure who the manufacture is but I know they sell them. I have used them to cut PVC below slab leval to put twist plugs in on demo jobs.. Read what I wrote and looked like I had said Winnelson made them..
            Tim

Comment

Sorry Winnelson doesn't make them, not sure who the manufacture is but I know they sell them. I have used them to cut PVC below slab leval to put twist plugs in on demo jobs.. Read what I wrote and looked like I had said Winnelson made them..
              Tim

Comment

Chunky, yes I own the Ram Bits in 1 1/2, 2 and 3" sizes and these are excellent tools to have , these have prevented many headaches for me. This tool is for removing pipe from the hubs of PVC fittings I need something for cutting 3" toilet flanges from below floor level.
                Dont get me wrong I can accomplish making these cuts without a special tool but it would be nice to have something to speed up the process.

Comment

To rmurf69: Sent you a picture of the tool your looking for the other day on your private e-mail. It's not a url address.Hope you got the address and phone of the outfit also. Let me know if you got it.

Comment

Jones Stephens corp. makes an internal pipe cutter that is sold locally (Louisiana) in all the supply houses. Actually it looks like the one posted by WBrooks. Use it with a standard high speed drill not a rotozip. It comes with an abrasive blade and a spiral saw blade. Spiral blade lasts much longer. I use them constantly. They cost about $10.00. However, they will still fall out of your drill and down the line if you aren't careful.

Comment

Re: Inside pipe cutter?

http://www.t-drill.com/Pipe-Cutter.html

Comment

I have a Ridgid internal pipe cutter for 2" and 3" plastic. Right after I bought it, they came out with a better-designed one. But I haven't looked for them in years. They don't go very deep, but are designed specifically for cutting off closet stubs.

Here you go, looks like this:

And it's model 109 on this page.

Comment

Say something,Your about to get your a$$ handed to you

We can't eat you.

Comment

I have both of the Ridgid internal pipe cutters and

These made by Wheeler Rex operated by a 1/2" drill:

http://www.wheelerrex.com/PDF/catalo...O_LR_33-37.pdf

I have the 1 1/2", 2", 3", and 4".

I use the 1 1/2" especially when I need to lower or remove a tailpiece leading into a tub trap which is below a slab on grade.
                            Then I use the Pasco "Rambit" to remove the leftover nipple glued into the trap. You know how sometimes offsetting is required with 1/16 bends to rough in a different tub?

http://pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_CATALOG_C.pdf

Tracy
                            sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdep...?Product=19046

BrassCraft makes one too. Check your PlumBest / Jones Stevens catalog.

I love internal cutters. ALWAYS stuff a rag in the drop! I had this beaten into my by people who have found out the hard way.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X