X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on gas leak

I was able to talk to the plumber about the gas line with a hole in it this morning. I asked him, when he suspected there might be a gas leak in the wall, if he left the gas on overnight. His answer, "Are you nutts! Of course not."
    Fortunately, the hole was in the line between the valve in the room and the appliance, so he didn't have to shut the building down, just the oven, which was no big deal because that part of the building isn't occupied yet. Because he didn't have time to investigate that day, he had to wait until the morning to open the wall and find out what the problem was. He said he spent the evening beating himself up thinking he hadn't tested that part of the line. When they were opening up the wall he kept apologizing to the GC's foreman about the mess he'd created. At first he couldn't find the leak, since he was concentrating his investigation on the fittings and not the pipe. Finally he checked the pipe where it penetrated a wall stud and there it was. We think it was a self piercing drywall screw (metal studs). Turns out the foreman wasn't too upset since his son was the guy who hung the drywall in that room and the son had told him about hitting something hard in the wall. Who'd have thought a screw could penetrate a piece of schedule 40 steel pipe, and why hadn't they pulled the piece of rock to investigate when it happened?

Re: Update on gas leak

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
    why hadn't they pulled the piece of rock to investigate when it happened?
    Because. They are drywallers.
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

very good answer from your worker ,i thought there was something missing from the original post
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Someone please explain how a drywall screw can penetrate steel pipe. Is it the power of the driver or the tempering of the screw or a combination of both. I would understand if it was a tapcon/hammer drill combo but something here doesn't make sense.

Someone please explain.

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
          Someone please explain how a drywall screw can penetrate steel pipe. Is it the power of the driver or the tempering of the screw or a combination of both. I would understand if it was a tapcon/hammer drill combo but something here doesn't make sense.

Someone please explain.
          They weren't using conventional drywall screws. Since the studs were steel, the screws were designed to pierce 16 ga. metal. Judging from the hole in the pipe the screw hit it dead center. I guess once the screw penetrated the stud the tight fit of screw to stud acted like a vice centering the screw and preventing it from deflecting off the pipe. (Un)lucky shot.

Comment

Working...
          X