X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof downspout filter

stopped by the local jack in the box today and noticed this new building being finished up across the alley.

what is the county thinking when they make the builder install filters to clean/ filter the rain water coming off the roof.

the amazing thing is that these drains dump into the planter box and then the alley.

what are they thinking it's going to solve.

only one getting rich is the company that pawned this filter off to the county for approval.

all our storm run off flows to the balona creek and into santa monica bay.

so now a few hundred square feet of rooftop is going to be cleaned of bird droppings, while the hundreds of square miles of non filtered roofs, streets will continue to dump into the bay.

why not just filter the creek prior to the bay

rick.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-06-2009, 03:16 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Roof downspout filter

Please don't give NYS any ideas, they will think of some way to ad this into there tax code for commercial buildings,

But on another note, thats just weird and not needed in my book, unless the roof has all kinds of weird stuff that drains of it ,.....

Comment

http://www.kristar.com/fgdownspoutspecs.html

FloGard® Downspout Filter / Maintenance Guidelines

Plan 3:3:1 (Annual)
      Three (3) system inspections
      Three (3) filter cleanings
      One (1) change and disposal of filter medium
      *Representative of “typical” site – may vary depending on specific site conditions.

Oh yeah, I want to add a filter to my roof drainage system that requires me to perform
      3 inspections and cleanings PLUS one filter change out per year. This will definitely save
      me money and as Rick said the couple thousands gallons that I filter is a drop in the
      bucket but ya gotta start somewhere I guess and there's no better place than somewhere
      other than where I am.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i can see gutters over flowing all across America .

Comment

This is why I absolutely have no respect for my species.

As a hole...

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            This is why I absolutely have no respect for my species.

As a hole...
            I'm with ya, on this one.... Yep
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I have heard of some strange ways to spend & waste money...but I think this takes the cake!

Maybe companies could take their extra $ and give it back to the people who work for them instead.

Comment

Damn, what has the world come to....hope they have overflow scuppers on that sucker...
                Last edited by Flowofmoney; 01-08-2009, 04:33 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Another much needed invention

I'll bet Sanjay (mechanical trap guy) some how has his hands in this
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I've been thinking alot about this one and thinking. Its about as useful as the pet rock was..... I really couldn't think of any positive meaning for it and I really thought about this, none, nothing, its stupid.....

Nothing........
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

i seem to remember something like this a couple years back.

i don't know where i saw it but i'm wondering, and i use the term loosely if it has anything to do with leaves.

what i mean is, do you think that filter would stop leaves from entering the roof drains and prevent a possible clog if the roof drain dumps into a storm sewer?

i'm probably by out in left field with this, after all, we don't roof drains up here let alone trees and leaves.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                        i seem to remember something like this a couple years back.

i don't know where i saw it but i'm wondering, and i use the term loosely if it has anything to do with leaves.

what i mean is, do you think that filter would stop leaves from entering the roof drains and prevent a possible clog if the roof drain dumps into a storm sewer?

i'm probably by out in left field with this, after all, we don't roof drains up here let alone trees and leaves.

Vince

Yep, you guys need ice blockers in that area..
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                          Please don't give NYS any ideas, they will think of some way to ad this into there tax code for commercial buildings,

But on another note, thats just weird and not needed in my book, unless the roof has all kinds of weird stuff that drains of it ,.....
                          Its too late.... the biggest thing now is LEED certified.... Most major commercial companies wont even build with out a LEED certification, and NYSDEC is nuts with some of the stuff they have us doing to "protect" the eco system and out lakes and rivers.... seriously i could go on for days on this matter. TOWNS unfortunately are still as crooked as can be and my hometown can be bought off real quick on private residences allowing drainage to run wherever they please paving half of their property it is sickening how i can work on them with one job and they bust my b@lls so much about drainage and impervious areas meanwhile my parents neighbor for some reason i dont know (probably waved some hundreds under the building inspector and town engineers nose) gets to rip up all the wood surrounding his house approximately a quarter of an acre of woods, builds retaining walls, trucks in fill for weeks straight keep in mind no silt fence so every time it rained, and it rained a lot this summer my parents have silt all over the driveway and into the garage because it silted up our drainage system and flooded out the yard. That is ok though and they let him pave it and direct it all on to my parents front yard no drainage whatsoever. Same town house across town, they shut myjob down because the contractor didnt put up silt fence before he cut a tree down? hmmm makes you wonder.

wow sorry for the off topic rant, anyway yes plumbing skool ny does know about this is impelementing it and also "green roofs for commercial to filter the rainwater... yes rain water before it drains onto the parking lots and into the drainage system and yes into another filter before it leaves the property....

Comment

Honestly, not suprising to me. Why don't they filter at the end you ask? Because then they have to maintain it. This way it's on the private sector.

We have a choice to look at it as a positive or negative. I'm thinking positive as it won't be maintained & then owner will have to call a tradesperson to handle the problems that arise.

One thing I will say is these buildings better be designed for relief or to hold X amount of water across the roof area.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowofmoney View Post
                              Yep, you guys need ice blockers in that area..
                              it's funny you say that.

i was wrong when i said we don't have any rain gutters here. we do, on one building that i'm aware of.

in fact during the spring time the snow melts on the roof during the day then freezes when the sun goes down.

the gutters i've seen are extra heavy duty but the weight caused these to bend.

i actually came up with the idea of installing angle iron on the roof to prevent ice sliding off the roof but i never had the chance to try it.

Vince

Comment

Working...
                              X