X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rinnai Heat Exchanger Removal

Anyone had to remove one. I have too tomorrow and have never done it. Thanks for any tips.

J.C.

Re: Rinnai Heat Exchanger Removal

Not very hard. You will need a long phillips head screwdriver. Magnetic if you can get one. Or make one. Is the installation done with the proper unions. If so you may find it easier to take the heater out and do a "bench job" on it.

What happened to the heat exchanger? How old is the unit? Was it properly maintained? Might be a really good time to entertain the idea of a filtration system?!?

Comment

Wow,

product failure on a tankless, a Rinnai?

Paul Harvey just choked on a cracker.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

This Rinnai was an outdoor model. The house is a new house that just would not sell. Not that unusual these days.

So it sat. And sat. And sat. Until winter. No power on for protection. So.....

Heat exchanger froze and burst. Now they finally have a contract on the house. Get ready for home inspector and find this out.

Do you have to disconnect alot of things? Any direction is appreciated.

Treat me real dumb.

J.C.

Comment

It should come with very detailed instructions that tell you exactly what to disconnect and what not to. I think you will be pleasantly suprised at how easy it will be. I use a piece of cardboard and every screw i take out i poke through the board and note where it went. I think there will only be three diffent screws and a total of 19? that you have to remove. As far as wiring, everything only has one place that it will fit. You may be able to change the exchanger without removing other stuff, but there is not alot of room in there, and i found it easier to just get stuff out of the way. It is definately worth the extra few minutes if you can take it off wall and place it on a desk or work bench or something to work on it.

Comment

Thanks. It is unioned but I did not look at how it was wall mounted in the brick. Not my install.

If all else fails I do have a sawzall.

J.C.

Comment

Just wondering, how could this unit be installed outdoors in a climate that could freeze?

Comment

An outdoor tankless has freeze protection built in provided there is power to the unit. Specs vary by manufacturer.

J.C.

Comment

If you have any trouble call Rinnai tech support. They are really helpfull in getting you in the right direction or out of a jam. You should be able to change it out in about 30 to45 minutes. Good luck, hope you have good weather to work in.

Comment

Where is NUNYA please
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Nunya is directly beside Fiddlers Green which is 40 miles this side of He!!.

I replaced the Rinnai heat exchanger. No time to take pics. The quick answer is to not be afraid of it. Then throw away the directions & just get on with it. And I almost never say that.

J.C.

Comment

I'm sure Nunya is close to Hacktown.

Where is that map....

Comment

Working...
                        X