What order to purchase and why...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What order to purchase and why...

I have been spinning my wheels while doing my taxes and working on jobs and have painted myself into a corner.

I have a stuborn sewer job (see post a few days ago). I really need to locate the line before I can give a price for a dig-up because of the trees and outbuildings.

What order should a plumber purchase the high dollar tools (as a service plumber that would like to be able to do line replacement and drain cleaning and inspection)

Here are the tools I have in mind (If you want to add one just be sure to justify it)

Trenchers and backhoes are rented w/ operators

Ridgid Scout/Sonde / 3 Watt transmitter
    Seesnake 200' color w/ DVD
    12 GPM Jetter w/ roothog
    K7500 or K1500 (biggest snake)
    Smaller jetter (less than 6 gpm)
    Propress

What am I missing and what order do I get these

Okie

Re: What order to purchase and why...

Here is my order:
    K-50
    K-1500
    Camera system

I am working on the last one now. If you want the jobs, you have to have the equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      I have been spinning my wheels while doing my taxes and working on jobs and have painted myself into a corner.

I have a stuborn sewer job (see post a few days ago). I really need to locate the line before I can give a price for a dig-up because of the trees and outbuildings.

What order should a plumber purchase the high dollar tools (as a service plumber that would like to be able to do line replacement and drain cleaning and inspection)

Here are the tools I have in mind (If you want to add one just be sure to justify it)

Trenchers and backhoes are rented w/ operators

Ridgid Scout/Sonde / 3 Watt transmitter
      Seesnake 200' color w/ DVD
      12 GPM Jetter w/ roothog
      K7500 or K1500 (biggest snake)
      Smaller jetter (less than 6 gpm)
      Propress

What am I missing and what order do I get these

Okie
      Hmmmm.... Got to say the ProPress comes very last. More of a convenience tool for a service person. Others may disagree, but how many times have you not gotten the job because you don't have one? Or didn't finish it because you didn't have one? Should come last if at all.

You state a new focus your directing your business towards is "line replacement and drain cleaning and inspection". Two of those require a camera. You need one for inspections and the knowledge to know if someone needs line replacement. So maybe that's first? I don't want you to have to spend the $$$$ either. But as they say, you got to pay to play.

Locator goes hand in hand so you have to get that at the same time.

The K7500 'cause you can get similar pay for less investment as a jetter.

Then the smaller jetter.

Then the larger jetter. If needed. Here the local municipalities all have their own large truck and handle the big lines.

ProPress maybe. Or maybe never.

So to recap:

1) Camera & Locator.
      2)K7500.
      3)Small Jetter.
      4)Large Jetter. (If there is a market)
      5)ProPress. Up to you.

That's my opinion. And I don't own ANY of this either. I can dream too though.

Funny thing, the Spartan Tool rep called me two days ago....

J.C.

Comment

I use different brand drain equipment so...

1. small machine for drains

2. big machine for sewers

3. small jetter for when 1. and 2. fail

4. seesnake / color / vhs / with scout at same time / add external portable dvd recorder or transfer at home

5. big jet / trailer

the first four will get your foot in the door to get further work / then you buy the propress, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X