Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cure for sometimers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cure for sometimers



    When you can look up old info on lines it really helps

    It saves my back & the customer $$$

    I just remember the real bad ones

    Been keeping Maps since 1983

  • #2
    Re: Cure for sometimers

    Agree with you 100% My father has as-builts from every septic he has put in from 1978, we also are required to file them with the local health departments. Another idea since pretty much all of us have camera phones does anyone take pictures of a clients fixtures for reference when if you ever have to go back to repair something. For example how many people keep parts for a A/S push pull faucet on their truck? Not many I suppose. How about in your file listing the faucets they have in the houe so if they call you about a drip years later on a monday you can open your file and tell them you will be there on wednesday instead of making an extra trip to the supply house.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Cure for sometimers

      Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      Agree with you 100% My father has as-builts from every septic he has put in from 1978, we also are required to file them with the local health departments. Another idea since pretty much all of us have camera phones does anyone take pictures of a clients fixtures for reference when if you ever have to go back to repair something. For example how many people keep parts for a A/S push pull faucet on their truck? Not many I suppose. How about in your file listing the faucets they have in the houe so if they call you about a drip years later on a monday you can open your file and tell them you will be there on wednesday instead of making an extra trip to the supply house.
      Why not GPS all tanks , lines and curb boxes? I don't do it but it seems like a good idea

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Cure for sometimers

        Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        Agree with you 100% My father has as-builts from every septic he has put in from 1978, we also are required to file them with the local health departments. Another idea since pretty much all of us have camera phones does anyone take pictures of a clients fixtures for reference when if you ever have to go back to repair something. For example how many people keep parts for a A/S push pull faucet on their truck? Not many I suppose. How about in your file listing the faucets they have in the houe so if they call you about a drip years later on a monday you can open your file and tell them you will be there on wednesday instead of making an extra trip to the supply house.
        Great ideas. I have been using the camera more and more. Becoming a regular construction tool.

        Maybe they should make a "tough camera" sealed from dust, water, & can handle a good drop onto concrete. Simple with not too many features.

        J.C.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Cure for sometimers

          My 4 year old kid has a cheap vidio camera that is tough and water resistant. They make a digital camera also. I think it is fisher price. It wouldn't be cool looking but is is made for four year olds!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Cure for sometimers

            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Great ideas. I have been using the camera more and more. Becoming a regular construction tool.

            Maybe they should make a "tough camera" sealed from dust, water, & can handle a good drop onto concrete. Simple with not too many features.

            J.C.
            my olympus is rated for 15' of water and a 5' drop.

            first day i had it at the golf couse, i had a stranger take a group shot of us and he droipped it on the concrete

            josh, adam, remember the good old days we should do that again

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Cure for sometimers

              I use a camera to provide entertainment to the forum

              Really, It has been a great tool to document problems and repairs... I send pictures of problems and repairs along with the bill to propert managers and out of state homeowners so they see exactly what they are paying for.

              Okie

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Cure for sometimers

                Cameras are a great sales tool and a perfect CYA tool. Even 20-years ago my guys had Polaroids on the truck.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Cure for sometimers

                  I really enjoy the pics everyone posts. Makes threads 10x more interesting when ya can see what they are talking about.

                  Josh

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Cure for sometimers

                    A Ridgid "Job Tough" camera. Dust & water resistant/proof. Survives a certain drop on concrete. No high amount of megapixels or too many features. Maybe operable with gloves on. Black & orange rubber shell.

                    Am I gonna' get one for the idea.



                    J.C.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Cure for sometimers

                      Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                      Why not GPS all tanks , lines and curb boxes? I don't do it but it seems like a good idea
                      Because your GPS will not be accurate enough to give a good fix that you can come back to a month or 3 years later. You need a mil-grade GPS or Surveyors GPS to get reliable locations below one centimeter accuracy, or a P-code GPS for .3 meter accuracy. Your average consumer GPS will only get you down to within 3 meters. All GPS units receive the same time signals, its all in the software used to decode that information that determines how accurate the location fix will be resolved to.

                      Don't believe me? Mark a waypoint at a known location, say the spot in your driveway where you park you truck each day. Now every day when you get home see how close you are to that waypoint.

                      On some of the more full-featured GPS units, not the speak-n-find toys that are prevalent now, you can set the GPS up and have it average a point over time. Then you will have a fairly accurate location after about 12 or 18 hours with the GPS in one spot averaging its location as the constellation of satellites pass overhead.

                      In 1999, when the Government turned SA off, consumer GPS accuracy increased significantly. You went from 15 meter resolution to 3 meters.
                      Before you rarely appeared on the road shown on the map, after you could tell which side of the road you were on.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X