Compression on PEX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression on PEX

I was recently posed with a problem and didn't get a very good answer at supply house. Need Help!!! Customer wants to replace thier dishwasher which we install alot of for customers. Get to home which is only about a year old and the plumber that did installation used 3/8" pex to dishwasher from a maniblock. I do not have a 3/8" crimp tool and the supply houses around here don't stock them. I need to adapt from the pex to compression for the stainless connector. Counter guys gives me 1/2" OD compression x 3/8" OD compression union with an insert. I installed it and it seemed to work okay, but took some encouragement to get compression ring over tube with insert in pex. Is that a appropriat form of joining the two, or should i be woried and take it out and order the crimp tool. I advised HO to contact the original installer but they refused the service work as all they do is new installation (DR Horton Home)!! Or is there a better way??

Re: Compression on PEX

Zurn makes 3 styles of crimp rings, 1 the solid copper rings requires a different size crimper for each size of ring. the other two are a pinch ring style, either one works well, but for each style you need 1 size tool for any size of ring, since it doesn't have to reach all the way around the ring. You might contact your supply house about one of the other styles of rings and crimp tool. This way, while you still have to buy a crimp tool, that one tool is all you have to carry.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

As far as the crimp tools go they have droppped by half in price since I purchased them (errrrr.)and you will likely come across this brand of pex again.An orange big box store carries the OETIKER PEX CRIMP TOOL,A one size fits all so this is a cheap way to be prepared for your next zurn pex service call.
      I have never done a compression on pex but with the insert this seems to be a sound installation.
      Last edited by Jay Mpls; 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I use pex on all my dishwasher installs. I use a plastic ferrule without insert. Use could use a 3/8 compression x 1/2 fem with a pex male adapter. Or cap that line and come off the hot side riser to kitchen faucet,then use 3/8 pex DW.

Comment

Could you post more info on this.A pic or more on A to B.What sort of pex that kind of thing.I've done the braided lines.
          Last edited by Jay Mpls; 01-10-2009, 11:08 PM. Reason: type like crap.

Comment

Try a 3/8" Pex X 3/8 adapter, that should get you right in...on the PEX side use the oeteker compression rings and tool, that would probably be the quickest and easiest.
            Pat Martinez
            M5 Plumbing Services LLC

Comment

Working...
            X