X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• certifications/licensing

Just looking for some opinions, I'm pretty new to this area, moved here in July of 08 got my Journeyman License in October, so 3.5 years before I'll be able to go for my masters. About 1.5 years before i'll be able to take my Journeyman gas fitter test. So my question is, what kind of licensing or certifications do you guys think would be worthwhile? both for professional growth and personal knowledge. My shop generally doesn't care, especially since at the present moment I am the Only Journeyman they have.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: certifications/licensing

Any products you use on a average basis or belief will hit the market hard. CSST (Wardflex or Trac pipe) still seems to be a good one to go for, even with all the controversies surrounding it.

Don't forget about your OSHA card, CPR/First Aid, and Confined Space.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Back flow certifications,all the pex's have a card you earn by doing 1-2 joints.
      The local in Minneapolis has us all go through cpr training every year,never hurts!
      And everything Aaron said.....All the OSHA stuff you can get your hands on DO IT!

Comment

Do you do heating as well?

If so there are alot of certs you can get from various equipment manu's.

On the plumbing side Tankless Heaters / Water heater certs pick your brands and go online and see what they offer.

Gastite (flexable gas line) certification (each manu. has their own cert)

Almost every product we use has some type of training or cert program available if you look hard enough.

Okie

Comment

we don't Really do heating, though the plumbing apprentice on my truck is our shops only heating and air service tech, so I'm learning just a little about that.
          are the csst and pex certs something i'd contact the manufacturer about?
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Certification for fusion of polyethylene gas pipe and fittings, generally done by manufacturers or their reps.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              we don't Really do heating, though the plumbing apprentice on my truck is our shops only heating and air service tech, so I'm learning just a little about that.
              are the csst and pex certs something i'd contact the manufacturer about?
              Around here the csst / pex rep will come around and bring donuts or pizza
              give some insight on the product tell you how to do a joint,have you do one and send a card in the mail.Inspectors in Minneapolis ask to see a cert. card for whatever pex or csst your installing.
              I would make a few calls to the wholesale houses and see if they can give some insight to an area rep. Then invite him/her to a shop meeting and get everyone fixed up.

Comment

Several months later now, I got my ASSE backflow cert in February, now i'm kind of looking at going back to school and taking HVAC-R classes as I have time.

CSST certs are pretty well useless for me at the moment, in the city here any in wall CSST has to be sleeved in rigid metal pipe, so we don't run it much. It's just as easy to black iron it.

I'm also waiting sort of patiently for my boss to get the rinnai rep to our shop.

Comment

Working...
                X