X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -51 with the wind

need i say more?

Vince
    Last edited by Vince the Plumber; 01-10-2009, 08:55 PM. Reason: could you move this to the open discussion, sorry

78 w/ wind

Need I say more .....I don't know how you folks do it. I lived outside of Chicago for a couple years and the weather just sucked. Even though the people were great, I couldn't wait to get back to S Cal.
    Last edited by JeffH; 01-10-2009, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Re: -51 with the wind

80 today . Got all kinds of yard work done.

Comment

Re: 78 w/ wind

We here in Minnesota are getting a taste of that starting tuesday.

I am off to San Diego that day for some r&r.Go see the N.A.M.M. show on thursday and otherwise beach,rollerblades and sea kayaking (namm is a big music insiders convention of new music products demo'd by world class musicians)
        Hello milkshakes goodbye cold!
        Vince, I LOVE these old pics you found for your avatar!!

Comment

Hey Vince it's my goal sometime in my life to see what -40 is like. I figure thats cold enough. I'm not talking about working or playing in it just walking outside and saying dang thats cold then going back inside. Maybe just living vicariously through your stories is good enough.

Comment

Spent the better part of yesterday standing in the cold (15F). It took 3 hrs for a ram hoe to bust through 2 1/2' of frost so I could get to a frozen 8" water main.
            Cut a triangle in the main. put the mini jetter in. Found the ice about a 100' up. Jetted through 2' of ice, and the water started to flow. Slid the repair coupling into place and bolted it down.

Last year the deepest frost I heard about was 18".
            I hate the cold but I'm happy ($$$$) to see it affecting things already this year. First winter in business we did $10,000 just in frozen sewer/water. Last winter we did about $450ish. This year?????

-51?? ......... F that! I'd rather starve!
            Whats considered a warm day in Rankin Inlet????
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Vince, are you not aware of global warming?

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
                Vince, are you not aware of global warming?

The dog sled with the mail has not arrived there yet.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

a warm day?

let me think. well, when i was a young'in......just kidding.

when i first moved here in 1980, the hottest (warmest) it would get was about 65F (18C). now we get to about 86F (30C).

we don't move too quick at those temps.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                    Hey Vince it's my goal sometime in my life to see what -40 is like. I figure thats cold enough. I'm not talking about working or playing in it just walking outside and saying dang thats cold then going back inside. Maybe just living vicariously through your stories is good enough.
                    want to experience -40?

try this, it's not -40 but you'll get the jist.

strip down to your skivies (underwear), jump in a shower.

now find a commercial walkin freezer.

wait for the coil unit fan to kick in.

close the door and stand in front of the fan.

it's not -40, but you'll get an idea.

Vince

Comment

Vince, I don't know how you do it

My body hates the cold When the temp gets down to about -10 degrees it begins to shut down. Doesn't matter what I'm wearing. The human body was not designed for those extreme temps. Maybe your genetic makeup is different than mine. Has the evolution of man been able to overcome these temps? I didn't think so You must have antifreeze in your blood?

I would think that everyday you spend in those temps that it's life threatening. Just locking yourself of the house accidentially...DEAD! Car breaks down on a lonely road...DEAD!

When the temp gets to around 15 degrees here people start dying of hypothermia left and right. How many weather related deaths are there where you live? Actually, I'm surprised anyone is still alive there

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Vince, I don't know how you do it

My body hates the cold When the temp gets down to about -10 degrees it begins to shut down. Doesn't matter what I'm wearing. The human body was not designed for those extreme temps. Maybe your genetic makeup is different than mine. Has the evolution of man been able to overcome these temps? I didn't think so You must have antifreeze in your blood?

i once heard about brown fat. maybe that's why i'm brown. hehehe. but seriously, apparently a layer of brown fat. although i've never seen any written info on that.

only when i drink the crazy water.

I would think that everyday you spend in those temps that it's life threatening. Just locking yourself of the house accidentially...DEAD! Car breaks down on a lonely road...DEAD!

When the temp gets to around 15 degrees here people start dying of hypothermia left and right. How many weather related deaths are there where you live? Actually, I'm surprised anyone is still alive there
                        rarely. and honestly, the deaths that we do have usually (not always) have alcohol as a contributing factor.

people say that when a person is freezing to death, they start taking all their clothes off because they think they're burning up. i believe this to be true because they always find a trail of clothing that usually leads to the body if the person leaves the snowmobile and starts walking. sometimes they're never seen again.

life for us up here is, in my opinion not any more dangerous then it is for you down there. we have adapted to our environment like you have to your's.

we respect the cold like you respect the heat.

last but not least, it's a dry cold.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                          need i say more?

Vince

EEK.........Man, it's 78 here in the jungle today.....Florida.
                          sigpic

Comment

we have adapted to our environment like you have to your's.

Up there part of that adaptation means clothing like a nice warm vest.

In DC that means a bullet proof vest.
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                            X