X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing Ed IPC

Just attended another IPC CE class. Key things I've found out for NC.

1)They interpret the code for tankless heaters to be required to have scald guard shower valves. So if you have an older installation then you would have to update the valves or fail inspection. Where I live we have a literal interpretation so a thermostatic valve won't do.

2)Fire sprinklers are on the edge of being approved & required for all new residential housing at around 2010. I'm betting 2012 though. It is rumored to be a potable water/plumbing licensed installed system.

3)NC is giving serious consideration and leaning towards requiring no license OR inspection for replacement water heater installations. Yes, I'm serious.

J.C.

Re: Continuing Ed IPC

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Just attended another IPC CE class. Key things I've found out for NC.

1)They interpret the code for tankless heaters to be required to have scald guard shower valves. So if you have an older installation then you would have to update the valves or fail inspection. Where I live we have a literal interpretation so a thermostatic valve won't do.

2)Fire sprinklers are on the edge of being approved & required for all new residential housing at around 2010. I'm betting 2012 though. It is rumored to be a potable water/plumbing licensed installed system.

3)NC is giving serious consideration and leaning towards requiring no license OR inspection for replacement water heater installations. Yes, I'm serious.

J.C.
    Wooow.
    2) So who's work does this become.I've seen the pex systems where the potable h20 arrives at its destination via a sprinkler head.Plumbers or sprinkler fitters?
    3) Kaboom.This is a JOKE right???

Our state code is going under the knife and we will find out in the spring. We might be an IPC'er
    Right now our code can be seen for free.
    http://www.doli.state.mn.us/pe_code.html
    Last edited by Jay Mpls; 01-11-2009, 12:52 AM. Reason: stIL Kant sPel

Comment

Thats the water heater companies lobbying the government. Happens all the time. Call your reps, and tell them NO!

Comment

"Where I live we have a literal interpretation so a thermostatic valve won't do."

Does that exclude ASSE 1016 and ASSE 1017 thermostatic mixing valves or just thermostatic shower valves?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
          "Where I live we have a literal interpretation so a thermostatic valve won't do."

Does that exclude ASSE 1016 and ASSE 1017 thermostatic mixing valves or just thermostatic shower valves?
          Thermostatic mixing valve off the tankless for temp control. I know it makes no sense but as I'm told by the local inspector, his boss, and the code interpreter for the DOI in N.C.-"That's what the books says."

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Thermostatic mixing valve off the tankless for temp control. I know it makes no sense but as I'm told by the local inspector, his boss, and the code interpreter for the DOI in N.C.-"That's what the books says."

J.C.
            Yeah, nowadays it's getting to be a pain in the Butt, to be a plumbing contractor........In my area, they just red tag ya......don't even give ya a warning........I really hate Inspectors.....
            sigpic

Comment

Why would the scald hazard be any different than that of a tank type heater

ALL water heaters, tank and tankless, should be required to have scald gaurd protection

But if you arn't going to require a license or inspection to install them, the point becomes moot

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Why would the scald hazard be any different than that of a tank type heater

ALL water heaters, tank and tankless, should be required to have scald gaurd protection

But if you arn't going to require a license or inspection to install them, the point becomes moot
                Exactly. Redtape BS that's always wasting my time.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                X