X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS and Tracking System??

Does any one know if there is a GPS device that will do double duty as a map/road direction aid AND a device to track the location of a vehicle??

Re: GPS and Tracking System??

I'm confused

You want a GPS device to show where ANOTHER GPS device is?

Comment

You can probably find what you are looking for here:

http://www.cia.gov/

If they don't have it I'm sure they know who does.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Like Onstar?

Maybe something like this?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1192835122078

I bet these guys could help as well...

[URL REMOVED]

Okie
        Last edited by RIDGIDadmin; 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM. Reason: Link removal request

Comment

Apparantly in the interest of brevity I was unclear, but OkieBill seems to understand what I am looking for.

I want to be able to track where a truck is or has been but at the same time let the driver have the use of a GPS mapping system.

I know, I know, I may have to buy two seperate devices, but I thought someone here might know of one device that would do the trick.

Comment

I looked for the same thing for quite a while, but since we started switching to iPhones, the need for mapping has been eliminated.

The Mapquest and Google feature on the iPhone does an incredible job of mapping and directions.
            spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

I think some missed that he also wants to track his trucks. Got to make sure the boys aren't cheating.

I have a plumber friend that works for one of the large companies. They installed them on all of their vans. Made all the employees a little upset until they figured out they could put a coffee can over the transmitter and block the signal.

J.C.

Comment

There are companies out there that provide this type of service but depending on the size of your fleet it may be not be worth the cost. Most large fleet companies water, electric, gas, public service(fire,police ems) use these systems. They run computers in the vehicles known as MDT(mobile data terminals) or MDB(mobile data browser) which allow them to connect to a server system by two way radio or cellular system. They can run GPS applications for mapping & tracking, plus two way communications,and a bunch of other applications. If you check with some of the vehicle tracking(GPS) companies they may have a smaller scale system that may work for you. There are a lot of companies out there with all types of equipment and fees. I would try/demo the systems before you buy to make sure it will work for you, they are not all created equal. PM me if you need more info.
                Ricky

Comment

Our service dispatch software came with all the bells and whistles. One of the modules had GPS tracking built in. Showed customers locations, tech locations, updated status of jobs. Pretty cool but too pricey for a 10 truck company.

S2000WIN

Comment

Working...
                  X