X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you barter?

I had a customer who is opening a custom butcher shop last week ask if I would like part payment in the cuts of my choice.

I walked out with about 30 lbs of Prime Ribeyes and NY strips along with a check.

I trade services with other trades all the time.

Do you barter for your plumbing / HVAC services?

Okie

Re: Do you barter?

You have to be careful how you barter, the IRS may look at it as tax evasion.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I agree... But I just finished my taxes don't complicate the issue...

Would you trade for the steaks or a paintjob or something else of value that you may need or want???

Comment

I never have. It seems like every time someone wants to "barter" they are looking to get a ridiculous deal. I just tell them no.

Comment

So if was a balanced deal you would? Or just take the cash / check and go buy what you want?

Comment

Example: One time my wife's old manager offered to lend me his pressure-washer in exchange that I repaired his plumbing. I said no. He eventually called me to replace his hose-bibb in the crawlspace, I charged him around $150. He didn't expect that. C'mon, I can rent a pressure washer for $25, or more likely I would buy one of I needed it. I guess that is what he thinks my services are worth.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
              I agree... But I just finished my taxes don't complicate the issue...

Would you trade for the steaks or a paintjob or something else of value that you may need or want???

I had to read that twice the "paintjob" part, I tought it said something else.

Comment

Sure bad deals are offered all the time and can even be insulting for sure...

I even took a bad barter once to help a down on their luck family pay the bill

Comment

About 10 years ago we put in a 20 foot 1" L water main for a guy and when we were all done he said he did not have any money. He then asked me what I wanted from all the junk he had around his house. I ended up with a nice Dodge pickup with no dents and an extra engine.

Comment

I am currently discussing with a graphics designer a barter to install a tub, waste & overflow and a shower valve. I'm not sure I want to get into that considering how any advertising content can be extremely expensive and not get your bang for the buck you really need. Know what I'm saying....?
                    Pat Martinez
                    M5 Plumbing Services LLC

Comment

I've bartered with friends who are also in the trades and its always worked out. One guy painted my entire upstairs (and did a fantastic job) for setting a toilet and connecting his sink. Also I've bartered with my mechanic, hooked up his shop furnace.

I've never gone this far, but there's is a directory for my city (over a million ppl) of people who are interested in bartering.
                      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        Example: One time my wife's old manager offered to lend me his pressure-washer in exchange that I repaired his plumbing. I said no. He eventually called me to replace his hose-bibb in the crawlspace, I charged him around $150. He didn't expect that. C'mon, I can rent a pressure washer for $25, or more likely I would buy one of I needed it. I guess that is what he thinks my services are worth.
                        I don't either, people can be so stupid. kinda like some of my neighbors. thinking they should always get a discount.
                        sigpic

Comment

I've bartered for a new set of kitchen cabinets, countertops, and install. It took a bit of going back and forth, but we both came up with a fair agreement.
                          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

The Correct answer should be no, never , not me

Comment

Well, if a customer says they cannot pay, then take what you can get. I am still waiting for the widow of a WW2 vet to barter her late husbands bringback German sniper rifle for some plumbing work!

Comment

Working...
                              X