Soil Pipe Cutters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soil Pipe Cutters

QUESTION: How long do you expect your soil pipe cutter to function? I started a fun debate on this end and realized that I should open it up to the forum. How long should they last? How often should you have to replace the chain? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Thanks.

Re: Soil Pipe Cutters

I know mind are old...... my 246 is probably 30 years old still works great. I just wish they would cut a little bit cleaner in between a cutoff saw and a pair of snappers

Comment

I bought mine used over thirty years ago and have done nothing to it. Still works fine.
      sigpic

Comment

I have a pair of 246's also and they are easily 25+ years old. Using them a few times a week at the most. I expect to get another 25 out of them. I have already flipped the chain around to get to the better set of cutting wheels.

The snap cutters is a different story. We would buy 2 new pair at the beginning of a big job. Both would cut no hub pipe all day for months at a time. Maybe a few hundred cuts a day. By the end of the job they were weak and wobbly. It got to the point where I didn't lock them up at night and eventually someone would steal them. Then the company would buy a new pair. We probably have at least 5 pairs in the tool shed that can't produce a clean cut on 2" no hub.

Comment

This makes me fear they might "de-engineer" the chain so it will only last about 10 years. Can't help thinking this way in today's times.

J.C.

Comment

dave, it seems that the ones at the roundup all agreeded that the ridgid chain is way too heavy and overbuilt.

nothing wrong with sizing it like the wheeler rex chains.

i've worn out the cutter wheels on the chain. the chain is half the cost of a new complete cutter

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              dave, it seems that the ones at the roundup all agreeded that the ridgid chain is way too heavy and overbuilt.

nothing wrong with sizing it like the wheeler rex chains.

i've worn out the cutter wheels on the chain. the chain is half the cost of a new complete cutter

rick.
              And now condonement to make them inferior.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                And now condonement to make them inferior.

J.C.
                I don't even think about Ridgid when considering buying snap cutters.
                Been this way for decades.
                When you make hundreds of cuts a day who wants to be wrestling the fat oversize ridgid chain.

Wheeler Rex lasts just as long with a chain that's at least 30% lighter.

It's the cutter wheels that wear out not the bigger links or pins.

And a tip.....
                Most plumbers don't pay attention to their employers cutters.The first three wheels wear out earliest.You can significantly increase their lifespan by not grinding steel on concrete...Put something under the cutters if your buying your own

Comment

The 206 is lighter than the 246 but it is meant for CI only.
                  Still it's about 7 pounds less in weight and the cut capacity is the same.
                  The 206 and the 226 (in place cutter) use the same chain which is lighter than the 246.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

HA! It's interesting that this question quickly turned into a weight discussion! It sounds like some users equate weight to quality...

Perhaps we should add ten pounds or so and make an even "higher quality" product! HAHA I'm seeing a 25-pound hand reamer in our future.... NOT.

I appreciate the feedback. This forum is the greatest!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      I don't even think about Ridgid when considering buying snap cutters.
                      Been this way for decades.
                      When you make hundreds of cuts a day who wants to be wrestling the fat oversize ridgid chain.

Wheeler Rex lasts just as long with a chain that's at least 30% lighter.

It's the cutter wheels that wear out not the bigger links or pins.

And a tip.....
                      Most plumbers don't pay attention to their employers cutters.The first three wheels wear out earliest.You can significantly increase their lifespan by not grinding steel on concrete...Put something under the cutters if your buying your own

I started off using the Ridgid with the long arm and was great in wide open spaces but in tight quarters, didn't work.

I own a wheeler, had it for years now and lost the ratchet in the separation from the union.

What I've done with it is I've taken the chain, removed all of it so the only size it will cut is up to 4", no more.

Then, took about 4' of #10 wire and looped the end of the chained, doubled the ends together.

This way if I have a tight spot between a wall and stack, brick chase and stack, anything, I can get to that extension of the chain by that wire and pull it through to hook the jaws up to cut.

That small handle on the wheeler makes all the difference in tight spots, no doubt.

But I've abandoned that piece of equipment as well and nearly cut all cast iron, clay with my diamond blade angle grinder, and it's the cheapest product out there in regards to its worth.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by RIDGID Dave View Post
                        HA! It's interesting that this question quickly turned into a weight discussion! It sounds like some users equate weight to quality...

Perhaps we should add ten pounds or so and make an even "higher quality" product! HAHA I'm seeing a 25-pound hand reamer in our future.... NOT.

I appreciate the feedback. This forum is the greatest!
                        No, I don't equate the weight of the tool with quality. But when you are working with the thing all day that extra 8 or 10 pounds adds up, especially if you are working in the overhead though that is not as likely for this particular tool. And when you have to drag the tool around that extra pounds comes into play.

Yes, this forum is a great resource. People provide their feedback and ideas, and they vent too when they are not happy about something. But even in that there is something to be gained by a product manager or tool designer. For those who make the comments though, there is little acknowledgement that trickles down from above.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I have a 206. Can the chain be flipped? It looks the same on both ends except one is worn and one isn't. I'm gonna try while I wait for someone to reply.

Comment

I've done it on the 246. I don't know why it can't be done on the 206

Comment

I just ordered the cutter wheels that go on the pin the chain attaches to so I'm gonna wait til they arrive before I try the swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X