X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Burning

I went to the customers house to start the sewer job....

He decided to call another company after the 6 hours I have invested I asked him if they managed to get his sewer clear nope they are going to dig it up (the most expensive company in town). Then he tells me that the gas line on the rent house I was scheduled to do for him tomorrow is going to be done by the same company (He says they were $300 cheaper)...

some people....

Long story short WOW did I get burned!

Sorry for the rant I just had to vent.... Of course in this situation he is getting a bill for my time...

Time to go juggle my schedule now to fill in for the lost work...

Something good did come out of it though... I went ahead and got my Ridgid Scout It is shiny!

Okie

Re: My first Burning

That stinks....what did you spend six hours on?

Comment

May be they will call you for a locate...

dont let it bother you.

Comment

Six hours: (I'm kinda stubborn and hate getting beat by a sewer)

Question: Do I do my customers a disservice by not having all of the tools to attack a problem? My largest snake is the K-60. I never jammed up completly and was able to keep cutting... I do not take work in anything over 4" due to my limited equipment...

3 hours late one day to try to clear pulling out small roots and alot of soft stoppage...Did not have a long enough cable order more cable

3 hours next day working line (135') Line would pop and reclog stilll pulling back soft blockage and roots...

Decide line needs to be replaced customer and ( I can't tell where the line is running exactly) want a locate to avoid killing large tree and get a good distance to the main... I tell customer I'm going to go ahead and order a locator it will be in Tuesday / Wednesday and we will get started...

At this point the line was kind of flowing ( I was sure it would reclog soon due to the roots)...

I rush the locator (88 bucks shipping overnight) ...

I guess since I did not have the equipment at the time I was not responsive enough for him... Lesson learned

I was speechless as I was getting burned ( I could not understand how I could be getting burned after he had already gave the go ahead, I'm way to nice so this was my tuff up lesson....

Never again....

Comment

Send me a PM with his address and I'll burn his house down

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Send me a PM with his address and I'll burn his house down

Thank you! That's what I'm talking about...LOL!!!

Comment

I'm sorry Bill.

This the fear I have just finished explaining to a few friends over the weekend.
              Some of them have said I need to get the drain jobs first(clientel).Why,so I can show them I do not have the equipment to do the job properly and they can tell ten friends?
              Nope,I'm setting my sights hard on making sure I get tooled to go out ready for bear.I'm sure I won't have everything I would like when I start hitting the bricks,still going to try to get a mainline machine,camera and locator.

Comment

Just as long as you get paid for previous work. Of course they may say..."you really didnt do anything."

Having the equipment THERE would have clinched it.

Kind of fishy though...how did the other guy get his foot in the door?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  I'm sorry Bill.

This the fear I have just finished explaining to a few friends over the weekend.
                  Some of them have said I need to get the drain jobs first(clientel).Why,so I can show them I do not have the equipment to do the job properly and they can tell ten friends?
                  Nope,I'm setting my sights hard on making sure I get tooled to go out ready for bear.I'm sure I won't have everything I would like when I start hitting the bricks,still going to try to get a mainline machine,camera and locator.
                  Very smart Adam. You've got to have a serious arsenal before you go to battle. Be equipped to handle almost any situation, and you'll get it 'er done, appearing far more professional that way. Too many guys around here offer "drain-cleaning" and then they show up to the job with a little dinky, 3/8" cable kitchen machine to clear the sewer! I show up PREPARED.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I just went through my time working up a bill for this job...

It appears I have lost a few days somewhere... I have no doubt now that loosing this job was my fault...

Where does the time go!!! WTF!

I work 60 hours a week and most days I can't tell you what I did the day before without getting jobs mixed up or looking at my schedule.

The phone keeps ringing and I just can't say no for fear of failing all the while screwing up the work I already have because I keep stacking on more and more and more...

It's all a blurr lately I have nobody to blame but myself...

Gotta get up in the morning and make it right (Turn off the phone and get some work done)

Okie

Comment

I know the feeling Bill. I am glad I am not the only one. I can hardly remember what I did this morning. That was 6 service calls ago, and I can't tell you how many phonecalls ago! It really does become a blur.

*I am going to go reply in Dunbars "daily work" thread to try and jog my memory of todays events.
                      Last edited by Service Guy; 01-13-2009, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        I know the feeling Bill. I am glad I am not the only one. I can hardly remember what I did this morning. That was 6 service calls ago, and I can't tell you how many phonecalls ago! It really does become a blur.
                        Now I feel like a sap for failing a customer.

It is weird that I have alot of bigger dollar projects right now but they take longer to complete so really my money is off for the month because I have not gotten anything done.

I just hate to turn down work...

"A mans got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

Okie

Comment

So, you basically "burned" yourself. I had a hunch when I read your post. Most customers wouldn't have called someone else without a good reason. Don't get too down on yourself, just remember this lesson and move on.
                          Look at the bright side, at least you have a locator now! So next time, you'll be prepared.

Comment

the owner should of at least called you to discuss the situation before you show up and find out the hard way.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry to hear what happened but guess what ? It has happened to all of us and it will happen again. This should not be considered a failure but instead look at this as a learning experience. Next time you will be more prepared and things will work out differently. I have seen some of my guys spend too much time on a stoppage and because of this the customer looses confidence. Then on the other hand your a lot like me and don't want to give up or give in. As time progresses you will find yourself on the other end of this situation where you will be coming in behind someone else and taking control.

Comment

Working...
                              X