Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pex freeze easier than copper????

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
    The pex that was protected from the sun froze but did not burst...and it froze last year too...did not burst. Only the pipe exposed to sunlight split,the rest was good.

Ohhh! UV breakdown would be the issue then I guess..CPVC will do the same thing..You see how brittle that gets when exposed to sunlight.. When you go to cut it it shatters
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hey what happened to our gun thread?
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
        Ohhh! UV breakdown would be the issue then I guess..CPVC will do the same thing..You see how brittle that gets when exposed to sunlight.. When you go to cut it it shatters
        Brand new cpvc would have shattered. Copper would have split. Properly installed pex would still be there working after it thawed out.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
          Hot water has a lower "specific heat" meaning that it takes less "energy" to change states. In laymans terms hot water freezes faster than cold water!

With regards to why it is freezing up now more than before check for drafts or anything that may have changed. I would imagine that PEX vs. copper for insulating the PEX would do better but I have been wrong MANY MANY times in the past!
          I have to disagree with you I have never in my life seen 100F degree water freeze, it is always at 32F when it starts to freeze in my area of the country, and I have always considered 32 degree water as cold,
          (now hot water may lose it heat faster then the same amount of cold water, and reach the freezing point faster),
          but it still takes cold water to freeze, the way I see it,
          Last edited by BHD; 01-14-2011, 08:28 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            I have to disagree with you I have never in my life seen 100F degree water freeze, it is always at 32F when it starts to freeze in my area of the country, and I have always considered 32 degree water as cold,
            (now hot water may lose it heat faster then the same amount of cold water, and reach the freezing point faster),
            but it still takes cold water to freeze, the way I see it,
            what he is saying you take a cup of hot water and cold water put it in freezer and the hot water cup will freez faster thats why I fill my ice cub try with hot water just like you can boil water in a paper cup cuz as we all no as a plumber water boiles at 212 paper burnes at over 500 so the paper cup will never reach temp above 212 with the water in it
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              Brand new cpvc would have shattered. Copper would have split. Properly installed pex would still be there working after it thawed out.
              that is right thats why they use it it campers other then the fact of price if not winterized the fictuer is the weak point not the pex
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Possible theory of why pex froze and copper did not, (if the customer is telling the truth):
                If the pex was run in the same holes as the copper, it took up less room in the hole which allowed a draft to go around the pipe and/or a draft could get between two or more joists spaces and cool the pipe enough to freeze it.

I am not sure I go for that explanation but it is the best one I have right now!!

Comment

Working...
                X