Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arctic Blast...get ready for frozen pipes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arctic Blast...get ready for frozen pipes!

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    expecting -8 tomorrow morning. Hey Vince. Hows the weather up there?

And to think, I left Florida for this crap. Global warming my you know what Al Gore
    clear and cool. calm winds.

-32.8 F (-36 C)

just 1 degree from fidgid.

i love it.

Vince

Comment

yes, ball valve swings toward WC, and of course is along side of the WC for easy access due to the 12" side rough.

I think on the talon, you hammer with enough force to slightly dent the heater, this assures proper setting of the talon.

Comment

Clearing a sewer in 10 degree weather this morning. My K60 and all my tools froze to the sewage that spilled out on the ground Even the cable pins froze in the retracted position.

Does the extreme cold make you crazy? I wanted to punch the customer in the nose just because he wouldn't stop talking. After going inside and warming up for a few minutes I started to like him again

What are the early signs of frostbite. I should know this Fingers were cold and wet. Then they got numb. Next came the tingling. After that, the pain. Felt like my fingertips were on fire all day. Still sore 12 hours later.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Clearing a sewer in 10 degree weather this morning. My K60 and all my tools froze to the sewage that spilled out on the ground Even the cable pins froze in the retracted position.

Does the extreme cold make you crazy? I wanted to punch the customer in the nose just because he wouldn't stop talking. After going inside and warming up for a few minutes I started to like him again

What are the early signs of frostbite. I should know this Fingers were cold and wet. Then they got numb. Next came the tingling. After that, the pain. Felt like my fingertips were on fire all day. Still sore 12 hours later.

You were probably within 40 minutes of frostbite. When they start to get warm, like on fire like you mention, you're in trouble.

Remember that guy from apple, or some major electronics company who took his family into the mountains on vacation?

His car broke down, left his family to go get help, was a genious of technology but forgot his phone, gps tracker? ??

When they found him, he was stripped of most of his clothes. That's the last phase of hypothermia, feeling extremely hot.

Somebody in the medical profession can attest to this. Hell, Vince would know before anyone. I don't know how people do that for living, working in the cold day in and day out.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            . Hell, Vince would know before anyone. I don't know how people do that for living, working in the cold day in and day out.
            Vince would know for sure , this is true ~!

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              Hey you should know this......and I "should" know this,

but isn't one of those expensive thawing machines just a welder setup set at 5 amps or less?
              5 amps might cook a hot dog for you, depending on the machine, it's duty cycle, and what size and how much frozen pipe you have, I would start at about 100 amps and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Hey Tozz , You'll relate to this story. My old welder mentor,now 80. In the 50s bought a new
                Hobart gas welder. Remember the round Amp. wheel! Brand new with FULL payment book.
                1st job in the winter,thawing pipes. Didn't know about the machines duty cycle,cooked it!
                Bought a junker to survive,made every payment on the new boat mooring!
                Life is tough! Tool
                Thats why I use this

To do thawing with, not the new one. I couldn't kill that old Lincoln if I tried

Comment

frost bite on the face feels exactly that. like something just nipped you or like a sharp pin prick.

as for the fingers, i use pain as a monitor. the first sign of pain, warm them up.

up here, when our hands start to get cold, we clap.

if our feet start to get cold, we stomp.

this gets the warm blood to those areas.

the body has a built in survival mechanism when it starts to cool down. it starts to restrict the blood going to one's extremities. this is why people will experience cold hands and feet when exposed to cold tempuratures for extended periods, even when dressed properly.

here is a good example of what can potentally happen if one isn't careful.

warning!! if you gross out easily, don't look!!

http://images.google.ca/images?sourc...num=1&ct=title

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                    clear and cool. calm winds.

-32.8 F (-36 C)

just 1 degree from fidgid.

i love it.

Vince
                    68 degrees today for me

That's a difference of 100 degrees on the same continent

Amazing!
                    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

It has begun

First call today,

Barber shop, all the lines are froze in the opposite side basement. Hours are going to be involved getting that running again. $$$

Second call is a plastic water line *whoddya thunk that?* underground service leaking from house to street. I passed that one on to my buddy who does all my outside digs...he's a master plumber as well.

All price shoppers today will get the phone hung up in their ear, no excuses whatsoever.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

three calls this AM, has them all open up the cabinets under the sink and turn the heat up to 75 and by the time i finished thawing the first one the other two were already thawed out themselves. No big deal I secured two customers over the phone without having to even waste any gas!

Comment

2 calls before 10am. I knew it was going to be a busy day off 3 more came in before I even finished those.

Heat gun got most of the action today. I believe it's the only Black & Decker tool I still own now.

On one call, I just couldn't get the water to thaw out to the kitchen. "Sorry lady, I know you have a dozen people coming in tommorrow for the inauguration but there is nothing more I can do for you today-I gotta go!"

I was using the torch to thaw a 1/2" line behind a bathtub when the pipe just split right in front of me. That's never happened before. Did I thaw it too fast or was it going to burst no matter what I did?

Comment

You can't thaw too fast as long as a faucet or valve is open. The pipe was already split and the ice just happened to block it. Same thing happened to me yesterday at an Olive Garden. Turned into a nice job.

Comment

i can only speak from my own experience.

all of the split pipes i repaired had very little ice at the split (the water leaks/spills out the split).

in order for a pipe/faucet to split, it has to be under great preasure.

2 seperate areas of the same pipe need to freeze and pressurize the water in between the frozen sections. the ice forming in the pipe freezes upstream and downstream at the same time, or a deadend such as a faucet. as we all know, a liquid cannot be compressed, so it splits the pipe when the pipe can no longer hold the excessive pressure.

as i said, this is my experience, there is probably other facotos that could be involved that i am not aware of.

Vince

Comment

Water expands when frozen because as the molecules are realigned to form ice crystals there is more space between the molecules than when H2O is in a liquid state. The density of ice is less than water which is what allows it to float on top of water. As ice thaws it expandseven further before returning to a liquid state (water). This property of ice is what does the most damage to pipes.

http://science.jrank.org/pages/3498/...rties-ice.html
                                Pure liquid water is transformed to its solid state, ice, at a temperature of 32°F (0°C) when the pressure is at one atmosphere. Interestingly, the density of liquid water at the freezing point is 62.418 lb/ft3 (0.99984 g/cm3) but decreases to 57.23 lb/ft3 (0.9168 g/cm3) when that water organizes itself into crystalline ice at 32°F (0°C). This density difference is due the large open spaces within the crystal lattice of ice. The increased volume of the solid lattice causes pure water to expand by approximately 9% upon freezing, resulting in ruptured pipes or damaged engines when the process occurs in a closed vessel. Ice is one of a very few solid substances that is lower in density than the corresponding liquid state. Surface ice floating on a lake or pond helps to insulate the water below, reduces mixing, and can prevent the water body from freezing solid.
                                Last edited by Bob D.; 01-18-2009, 10:30 AM.
                                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                                X