X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are sure vents approved in your area?

Do they approve these sure vents in your area?

They're used in place of running the stack vent out the roof. I have used them Myself (I admitt)......

But talk about making a service mans job more work than ever.

They make it a pain as you no longer have a vent on the roof to service the fixture. you're forced to unscrew this device and enter under the sink or fixture you're cleaning. plus,nobody ever thinks to put a cleanout at the base of the stack for ya....

that and the fact that they're so high up under the sink that, you don't have room to even get a small cable into them........while they save time on labor in new construction, they cause the service guy to spend way more time on cleanouts.....

they really should force installers to put a cleanout on the riser to fix this problem. Sure we will Mr. Plumber
    sigpic

Re: Are sure vents approved in your area?

Yes, AAV's are approved for our area. Must have all the right stamps etc.

I try to think of things going wrong and put in C.O.'s that are accessible during rough ins. It's not going to get any better for you though. Everyone wants there vents "hidden" now so they are often tied together and ran to the back of the house. Makes you have to go through 3 or more turns before getting to the clog. And that's if you get to the right vent!

The good/bad news is I did a little survey on here last year asking all the drain cleaners what was the % of PVC/ABS clogs they handle vs. CI etc. PVC was only 15% on average if I recall. So it will be harder to get too, but it will be much less likely to give trouble if installed correctly.

That can be bad. No $$$$. Might have to start selling $100.00 flex connectors.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-15-2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Yes, AAV's are approved for our area. Must have all the right stamps etc.

I try to think of things going wrong and put in C.O.'s that are accessible during rough ins.

J.C.

I know , I did a 3 story house and used them because the outside block was solid pour all the way around.....It does save lots on the labor. I also put C.O's at the base of all the stacks i could..so if i ever go back to do a clean. won't be slapping my own head.

And we been running vents to the back for years too...bad idea.

when you show up at a 5 bath house and only see one vent, you're hosed most times..

and i'm all for the 100.00 flex connectors...
      Last edited by Flowofmoney; 01-15-2009, 01:24 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

The quick answer is I do not like them as plumbing exerts both positive & negative pressure. But I have had situations where I have no choice. Not even a bow vent would work. Carpenters are long gone and didn't speak English anyway.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          The quick answer is I do not like them as plumbing exerts both positive & negative pressure. But I have had situations where I have no choice. Not even a bow vent would work. Carpenters are long gone and didn't speak English anyway.

J.C.
          I admit I use them too, my thinking on them is they don't allow the sysyem to get enough fresh air....shouldn't that inhance the growth of more bacteria?

but that's just more drain cleans.....

Also, the code won't let you put a 1- 1/2 vent on a toilet, but the hole in the 2 inch one is really smaller than 1-1/2..

Inspectors are funny like that, here.
          Last edited by Flowofmoney; 01-15-2009, 01:31 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Not in Illinois. They call them mechanical vents.

Comment

Approved only for island venting. I don't use em though. They make a slurping sound sometimes, and don't work near as good as an open air vent. Also, i replaced about 12 in a hair salon because a positive pressure broke the diaphragm, and the sewer gas smell was so strong they had to close down.
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

AAV's are allowed here, but you must have 1 full size vent out of the roof per building. Don't really care to use them since they are mechanical and will fail over time and it makes it that much easier for hacks to think that they are plumbers.

Comment

Here in northern ca. we have to get it approved first, but I will only use one if there is no other way. around here we call them studor vents

Comment

I know of one plumber in new hampshire that uses them !

We'd never use them in california !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thankfully, no

I only see those on mobile homes here.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Working...
                      X