Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

SELLER BEWARE! If it Sounds to Good to be True... IT IS.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SELLER BEWARE! If it Sounds to Good to be True... IT IS.

Hey Guys and Girl!

I Hope everyone had a Great Holiday Season and is doing well!

Seller Beware!

There is a scam being pulled over on Plumbing Companies and I thought I might enlighten you.

Has anyone else received an email from the dream customer, wanting to buy large capacity water heaters?

The guy wants the water heaters shipped to Africa for his church.

He will give you a credit card number that clears security and deposits into your bank just fine.

He will also give you enough money to pay for shipping along with the shipping companies information, so you can call them and arrange a convenient pick up time.

Red Flag #1 Why would a guy from Africa call my Podunk town for a water heater?

Our reputation exceeds ourselves but come on... Honestly, we are only legends in our own minds.

Red Flag #2 When was the last time a Customer wasn't somewhat shocked at the price of a water heater?

Churches in our area expect work for free and they have plenty of money, unlike a poor African Church.

Red Flag #3 The guy forgot his screen name.

I called my local supply house and told them about it. They told me that another company in our area just got burned by the same scam.

Here is the email from the guy.

I am curious to see how many plumbers got this email.

dateWed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:10 AMsubjectWATER HEATERS ORDER
    My name is Duncan and I want to know if you carry or can order Water Heaters to be picked up from your location.These heaters are to be shipped to a church in West-Africa , meanwhile, I have a freight company to handle the shipping so I need you to quote me on the cost for just the water heaters to be picked up from your location. Please find my specs below :
    80 gallon single phase,240 volt electric without installation and delivery.100 gallon single phase,240 volt gasAlso let me know the methods of payment you accept so I will make preparations towards that as well.

Hope to read from you soon
    Duncan williams.

dateWed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:22 PMsubjectRe: WATER HEATERS ORDER
    Hi Duncan,

I will have the quote for you tomorrow.

Thank you,

dateWed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:39 PMsubjectRe: WATER HEATERS ORDER
    Hello Thanks for your e-mail please i need 2 of the 100 gallon and also 2 of the 80 gallon so please let me know the total cost on the 4 water heaters without shipping charges and installation and i wiill like to know the form of payment you accept.

dateWed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:57 PMsubjectRe: WATER HEATERS ORDER
    Hello Duncan,

I apologize that it took so long to respond, your email went to spam and I don't look at that regularly.

We do accept credit cards.

dateWed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:39 PMsubjectRe: WATER HEATERS ORDER

Hello, Thanks for your e-mail please i need 2 of the 100 gallon and also 2 of the 80 gallon so please let me know the total cost on the 4 water heaters without shipping charges and installation and i wiill like to know the form of payment you accept Hope to read from you soon..

dateWed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:57 PMsubjectRe: WATER HEATERS ORDER
    Hello Duncan,

The total cost for 4 water heater will be $9,999.97.

We need payment immediately because they are special order.

Call me with your credit card information and I will process your order when the money is in our account.

God Bless,

dateThu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:51 AMsubjectRe: WATER HEATERS
    Thanks for getting back to me and here's the contact information's for GLOBAL SHIPPING EXPRESS I would like you to contact them and get the freight cost for shipping these Flyers from your location to my church in the below address and let me know the quote so that i can make the full payment as well.
    Contact details for EXPRESSS SHIPPING COMPANY
    E-mail address info.globalshipping@yahoo.com
    Contact person : Ronnie Lola
    Here is the ship to address

REV. PRINCE TAYE
    25 OXFORD STREET.
    RING ROAD CENTRAL
    ACCRA GHANA 00233

And when you contact them with the details, they will get back to you with the freight charges and you let me know the total so that i can make payment for the shipping as well.I will be waiting for your email so that we can finalize this purchase.
    Hope to read from you soon

Mr.Chris

Right here the guy forgot which screen name he was using.

I knew what was transpiring, because a similar thing happened to us last summer.

I had a guy who wanted to order $15,000.00 worth of washing and drying toilet seats to send to Turkey.

Seller Beware!

Re: SELLER BEWARE! If it Sounds to Good to be True... IT IS.

Please to be sending me your product and a cashiers check for 200 thousand dollars and I will be sending for you a check in return for one million with you to be keeping the difference for your troubles..
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this. We had the EXACT thing happen to us and yes I knew it was to good to be true so I used google for the shipping address and found this post! Thanks again!!

Comment

Red flag #1 AFRICA.There is a FIGHTING chance that there is a water heater for sale in his country.We don't ask questions any more?!

Comment

As soon as anyone asks for free money, services, or products, I delete, hang up, or roll up my window.

Best way to remain scam free.

I work too hard for what I have, to give it away to a crackhead on the street or some guy in his moms basement in Anywhere, U.S.A. who is claiming to be from Africa.

I offered a guy holding up a hungry sign on side of the road an extra sandwich that I had and he said, "That's O.K. I'm not hungry" No kidding.

I give to red cross because they helped us during katrina, but thats all.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
            Red flag #1 AFRICA.There is a FIGHTING chance that there is a water heater for sale in his country.We don't ask questions any more?!
            Is there any quality water worth heating?

Comment

Many people don't use water heaters in africa because they store the water in cisterns. Just the heat from them sitting causes the water to be hot right out the tap. Even the toilet tank is hot and yes, wax rings melt all the time down there. Besides, if they do need a water heater, they usually come from Kuwait or Baharain. It's weird to see a Bradford White or State water heater with all the info written in arabic.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Two Thoughts on this :-)

1. I Have Plumbing in St. Martens NO HOT water

2. Those "Roadside" panhandlers make about $300.00 + A Day TAX FREE !

"SAVE A SEAL CLUB A LIBERAL !!! "

Dave

Comment

This same scam showed up at my brothers work place about two years ago. In it they wanted 2000' of chain link fence mesh. They wanted to pick it up, and wanted to pay for it with a credit card. They tried to hit all of the fence companies in his town with this same scam. They only want to use a credit card through the merchant, prepay they fencing, then they return the product before it's picked up. But they want to return the product on a different credit card. After is all said and done, they walk away with a crapload of money because the first card ends up being a bad card.

Mick

Comment

We got that here as well. This is what I did. I looked up plumbers in Ghana and gave him the name and number of one and told him to call them.

Sometimes its so satisfying to help out others.

Comment

Working...
                    X