Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leak Detection Equipment - Is it worth owning?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak Detection Equipment - Is it worth owning?

Jeeze, everytime I get a call for a slab leak, etc. it kills me to pay someone to come out and detect. Unfortunately, I don't have a contact that does just detection without repair. The local companies detect and then sell the repair job or want to sell the repair job. Even if I tell them the job is mine, they seem to work some sort of song and dance into it like: "have you had any other quotes?" "Oh, that seems a little high..." blah, blah, blah...

I'm looking at the Goldak 777B

Anyway, I know that having equipment that doesn't do the job, is more frustrating as having no equipment at all. I'm aiming purely at residential slab/wall type leaks in copper/galvanized.

Whatya think?

Re: Leak Detection Equipment - Is it worth owning?

For what you're talking about using the detection equipment for?
    and i'm not kidding about this
    http://www.stethoscope.com/index.cfm...l&ProductID=47
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Stethoscope

Funny you should bring up stethoscopes, because after posting I was surf'n the net for them. I'm thinking a volume controlled stethoscope. At my age, hearing high freq's are a little deminished. Even an expensive one costs a fraction of what a formal leak detector would cost. Still don't know if it's my best option and I'm still doing my homework. Thanks for the thought!

Comment

We use a Fisher XLT30 It takes a lot of practice to be good with it. Even with practice finding the exact spot of the leak may be difficult. We use the ground probe as much as possible the big foot listening device is hard to use if there is a lot of noise in the area.

Comment

I actually use a fetal scope rather than a normal stethoscope, but I like to use the headrest as a handle "and it was cheep"
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
            Even if I tell them the job is mine, they seem to work some sort of song and dance into it like: "have you had any other quotes?" "Oh, that seems a little high..." blah, blah, blah...

Whatya think?
            Don't be affraid to tell the people you send out not to run their pie holes to the customer except for what is neccesary to get the job done!!!!! there job is leak detection at that point. Don't be affraid to say it just like that. If they can't do that make sure any plumbers that may use them know the leak detectors will steal customers. You may be suprised how bad that hurts there buisness.

Of coarse the best thing would be to get your own detection equipment and run those scum bags out of buisness.

Comment

A tank of helium and a guage can go a long way to finding a fresh water leak even without the stethoscope which would just be icing on the cake.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

The answer depends on some things. How many leak calls do you get in a year? How much money is the equipment you want or need? How much per hour cna you charge to re-coup the equipment cost? For guys in areas where most homes are on slabs it probably makes sense to have the equipment . For those up north where most buildings have basements ( large house shaped hole in the ground under the house in which to store crap you will probably never use) we don't get tha call too often.
                sigpic

Comment

I find leaks on slab floors with a stehoscope....

I like it when no ones home , and it quiet, a hot water leak is always easier to find ..

Comment

They guy I subcontract does ONLY leak detection. And he is fully aware that when I call him, he works for me, and it is my customer. I meet him on the jobsite and he tells me where the leak is, I pay him and he leaves. I call him very rarely anyway. No way I am wasting money on the equipment, when I only need it about twice/year or so.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I was alot like you ,but my leak locator was 80 miles from where we operate. We use the fisher xlt30, and pulsar line locaters. I thought the learning curve was small, but you have to pay close attention. good luck to ya.

Comment

I bought the leaktronics plumbers kit and it's awesome. We had a goldak unit and a fisher unit that just didn't work very well. The leaktronics unit is awesome. Two of my guys will not go out on a leak with any of the other equipment. I might have to buy another unit. Also (note) we did have an issue with the soil probe that came with the kit. They shipped us out a new one no questions asked and sent us a label to return the defective one.

Comment

Working...
                        X