Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are your Service Techs Selling the Most they can?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are your Service Techs Selling the Most they can?

Keep this in mind, this can point a finger right at us one man band operations. Are we definitive in doing all we can to increase sales while inside the home? Are your techs doing all they can to increase sales?

Remember that there has to be a catch or financial reward most times for those who work for you to promote more sales at the home. And I'm not meaning anything by deception or overpricing, I mean by suggestive selling, explaining the entire job and the cause and how why and what needs to be done, the options along with opportunities when it arises.

When it comes to leaky faucets, I'll point to it but I will not say, "would you like us to fix that while we're here?"

My approach is,

"I just wanted to point out that I see this faucet leaking and this is a well known symptom of the system trying to relieve itself of the high pressure." Now, not every leak is gauged to high water pressure but if you've done your job as a plumber and was called out to touch anything water pressure related, you better know what pressure you're dealing with, always. No "guessing" by looking at water leaving a faucet, that's the homeowner's assumption, never yours if you got any scruples to your value as a plumber.

When you see an open floor drain with no cover on it, those cast iron ones, you could say, "Hey, you know what? We might have that size in stock on the truck" and if you have them, do your best to sell it. I saw a guy pay $56 dollars for a 10" cast iron drain cover!!! Talk about overpriced! He bought it at a plumbing supply house. No way that was that much on the true numbers.

If I had them on the truck, I'd go for $10-$20 markup and keep it at that.

Lint traps, $5 and you can buy them for less than $2.

Aerators are another item you can sell but always see how rotted the old one is coming out; you might enter the unknown if you try to take one out and it won't come out. Kinda like opening a can of worms so to speak.

But your workers can add a significant amount to the gross earnings every day if you make a point to sell something, anything to get more money in your pocket. Like those little plastic triangles made as water shields to keep the water in the tub. No more than $5 tops and you can get up to $10 depending on who you deal with.

It's all in the attitude, showing the objectives to people. So often in service, the service plumber knows apple for apple, take a bad one and put a new one in. But exploring the cause and what-ifs to a customer will sometimes become a very receptive conversation and you've completed your goal by saying, "Well let's just go ahead and get the whole thing done, get it right."

By far, your customer, your consumer will greatly appreciate this mentality than dealing with common recurrences just because they didn't spend the money when they should.

Giving them "hope" guidelines also makes a difference. I sometimes reference myself and say that I'd put it at a 7 on the level of seriousness in dealing with a problem or a range that is honest and suitable to how serious the plumbing problem really is.

You never know if the customer is going to use you once or 10 times. All I know is keep trucking along like it doesn't matter if it is a one time experience or not.

People like variety, I love variety. I don't get my hair cut at the same place every time...I just don't.

I in past never used the same tree trimmer, even though they've all done a decent job. It just all works that way and it's hard to explain why it happens, that's why I can't get too upset when I see it happen to me.

Freedom of choice is something we all agree on.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Are your Service Techs Selling the Most they can?

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

People like variety, I love variety. I don't get my hair cut at the same place every time...I just don't.

I in past never used the same tree trimmer, even though they've all done a decent job. It just all works that way and it's hard to explain why it happens, that's why I can't get too upset when I see it happen to me.

Freedom of choice is something we all agree on.
    I like variety too, but in the sense that I like to try different restaurants. Not when it comes to people who provide reliable services. Well I do agree that you never know if a client will use you 1 or 10 times, I have to say that I know from experience when I find a guy who I trust and is good at what he does, I stick with him.

There are hundreds of mechanics in my city, but I struggled to find a good one that I really trusted. Now that I have a one, I wouldn't think of going elsewhere. Same goes for the subcontractors I hire. When you stick with good people, you always know what you're getting for your money.
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

If you leave a good, no, a great impression you will be used 10 times +
      Bad impression, you`ll only be used once
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

One man shop here.

I always look for extras to sell.

fill valves with water supply
        flappers
        tank levers
        bathtub strainers w/ flat rubber K/S stoppers
        reseal commodes leaking at base, whether of not I had to pull to unstop
        shower heads
        hose bibs
        p-traps
        angle stops
        etc.

All of these small things add up at the end of the year.

What I do not do is oversell things that are unnecessary.

I don't like when salespeople use high pressure sales tactics on me, and I refuse to do it to my customers. High pressure sales turn me off, I shut down and buy nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
          I like variety too, but in the sense that I like to try different restaurants. Not when it comes to people who provide reliable services. Well I do agree that you never know if a client will use you 1 or 10 times, I have to say that I know from experience when I find a guy who I trust and is good at what he does, I stick with him.

There are hundreds of mechanics in my city, but I struggled to find a good one that I really trusted. Now that I have a one, I wouldn't think of going elsewhere. Same goes for the subcontractors I hire. When you stick with good people, you always know what you're getting for your money.

Here's a few examples of what I meant from the above statements:

Customer from years ago, water heater replacement, PRV/EXP tank install. He felt so comfortable with me that he left me in the house, alone after knowing me just a few hours and the damn blank check! 3 years ago I believe. Tonight, I drive down into that subdivision to see what the name of the street is. I looked at the street name, starts with an H and damn if I forgot the name by the time I got home. The customer's name? Don't have a clue, no way I know it.

I had a stellar experience with this fellow, him and I cut up together till he had to leave. The price I wrote on the check was more than fair and I can't see how, with the time I had invested that he would of complained.

Fixing that pressure problem probably knocked me out of a job for sure, and I've had customers tell me, "You know, I called so-n-so last year and couldn't remember your company name." and the fridge magnet I gave them is still where it was last; on the fridge.

There are about 15 company names that start with a D in my area, and one company is really close to my company name. I should not expect people to remember me when months/years pass by no matter how good the experience was, it just simply happens.

Of course, if these same people saw me every day, that's another story and I wouldn't expect the lack of recognition. But to have someone in your basement for 4-5 hours and never see them or their company name for years...

I don't think the average human mind can pick up on a dime and a phone call without sitting there thinking hard to remember. Of course, some people can do this better than others but I don't think we as plumbers get that much mind thought consideration when their plumbing is working properly, without error. Wouldn't all of you agree?

We have to remember that we are not only good plumber in the neighborhood. I can do a fantastic job for a customer and if I'm slightly on the higher side? I can see the customer trying "another good plumber" to get service done. I can't knock them, it's the norm for consumer spending. I never put myself out there to be cheap. I charge what I charge and I move on. If there's another plumbing company in your driveway the very next week, ain't nothing I can do to change it, that's just the sharing game we've all experienced and will continue to do so.

If I was to be sat down, gun pointed at my head and was told to recite all my first year customers names and addresses? Might as well pull the trigger because there's no way I'm going to remember all that...that's not feasible. I'll remember some of it, but I can't remember last week's calls sometimes, let alone years ago with brief encounters of the spending kind.

I've strayed off topic but I've eluded to this more than once about "keeping" customers.

The reality is if every plumber did repeat work for every customer they work for, wouldn't that mean the statistics would show that every plumber would never have to worry about their next dollar and where it comes from? I think outside of the normal considerations of plumbing, dealing with people in general, I cannot see how even bringing flowers and ice cream, stellar performance in your method to perform your profession guarantees the call years later. I truly think the norm is time span against recognition, or people's freedom of choice to try others.

Plumbing isn't always "major" in extent to difficulty or expense, but changes can come just by offers or pricing differences, knowing a friend that recommends another. It works for many reasons, many conditions.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
          X