No announcement yet.

Experience with Rigid Thawing Machine??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with Rigid Thawing Machine??

Has any one used these? How successfully?

Re: Experience with Rigid Thawing Machine??

Ridgid has a thawing machine?

http://www.toolup.com/ridgid/62802.html

Huh I didnt even know that and the price is good too!! 650ish!
    Last edited by wrench spinner; 01-19-2009, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I've used a KT-200 for five seasons now. When you get a good connection, it usually thaws the pipes in 2-45 minutes. It's great for piping that's frozen in difficult to reach locations (behind a wall, crawlspace, exterior wall, and that ever popular bathroom hung over the garage in the $500k+ house). You get to charge a premium to use it because it's still cheaper than labor on using a heat gun, or tearing into a wall. They are heavy, roughly 60 pounds, unless you break it down after each job and want to make two trips to the truck. You can buy some thumb screw nuts to replace the ones that come on it for quicker cable attachment and removal. The amp meter is great, because it lets you know exactly how good the connection is.I've had quite a few main services that I know I'm getting a connection by sparking, but the amp meter registers flat and won't thaw. I don't know why this happens sometimes other than the service must be lead or have a goofy fitting in it that is stopping the current.

Comment

We have two. they have been in constant use for the last two weeks.
        sigpic

Comment

are you using the 75 footers on these? i have had 3 calls in the last week that i could have gone on.
          the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

good solid machine that we've been using without problems or need of service/repair for years.

Comment

In our area there are a lot of houses with cpvc and copper mix. Sometimes its in the walls and you dont know it. How hot do those heated copper pipes get?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                In our area there are a lot of houses with cpvc and copper mix. Sometimes its in the walls and you dont know it. How hot do those heated copper pipes get?
                The copper pipe does not get real hot. I have had great success with the pre-Ridgid models. We have 3 of the KT-200 types. Each truck has one unit with two 20' cords, one 50' cord and one 75' cord. Also have the pigtail to hook two units up in series for longer runs.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                X