X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Check

I did a leak detection the other day and found that her water heater had small leak. I told her before I did anything it would cost $100 for me to do a leak detection and find her leak. I found it and she wrote me a check that bounced a week later. First time in 6 months since I opened up that I got a bad check. I have tried to call but no answer and response from message to voicemail, any ideas on ways to get paid. Thanks
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Bad Check

I have visited personally with good results. Got to get along with people and recognize when someone is nuts though.

J.C.

Comment

Does Florida have mechanics leins?

In my area they are really easy... I have never had to do one but the threat of one was once enough to get a deadbeat customer motivated

Okie

Comment

In New York there's a law covering this. In our Penal Law it's called "Issuing a Bad Check" and is a class A misdemeanor. Here you can sign a complaint against the person as long as you have paperwork from the bank stating the reason such as insufficient funds or account closed etc.. Have you tried sending a certified letter stating that the original check bounced and that you are trying to collect payment? Subject has to sign for the letter of which you get a reciept. This goes to prove that you have made an effort to collect if the incident goes to the courts. Good Luck with this.

Comment

Broward County State Attorney Bad Check Restitution Program
          P.O. Box 14663
          Fort Lauderdale FL 33302-4663
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

This happened to me very recently and I sent a certified legal form demanding payment or pressing criminal charges. I'l let you know what happens.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Thanks gonna try that web site dunbar ill let you know what happens it may take a month or so but stuff like this pisses me off I dont care if its $1 or $1000 its the point that somebody writes you a bad check after good service.... PS I guess we gotta always write there drivers license # on the check.

Comment

I fairly recently got my first "real" bad check. I've had others but they turned out to be mistaken check book etc.. and customers always made good on them with out problem.

Jason Baker of Winslow Maine is a different story. On the advice of a police department I was told to resubmit the check. (shows the court more intent to defraud). In my case I use a Credit Union. They charge me $4 for a returned check. His bank is probably charging him at least $20. I can resubmit the check twice. Including the original return thats $60 extra he'll have to pay + my bounce check fees and mileage and time to bank.
                Once this is done I will fill out the "bounced check kit" paper work from the P.D. and he will have a warrant for his arrest. $40 non refundable +bail. Once convicted he'll have a fine + restitution and a criminal conviction.
                Hardly seams worth it for him in the long run. I just don't get it.

I even left a note on the guys door saying "look, I understand, we all go through hard times, I'm willing to work with you, just call me and let me know whats going on".
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I'm telling you if you go there politely you may get your money fast. Some people just can't handle seeing you in person at their house, work, or church.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I'm telling you if you go there politely you may get your money fast. Some people just can't handle seeing you in person at their house, work, or church.

J.C.

Yeah,
                    Especially when your carrying a baseball bat thats lettered with "RETURNED CHECK FEE"
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Jc I went there but nobody home so i left a nice not on the door saying to please call in the next to days so we can take care of this i tried calling for the last week but they will not answer or return my messages i left and to be honest with you im scared to go to there house you never know what some people may do when you show up on there doorstep and if something bad was to happen to me or them it would not be worth it over $100

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
                        Jc I went there but nobody home so i left a nice not on the door saying to please call in the next to days so we can take care of this i tried calling for the last week but they will not answer or return my messages i left and to be honest with you im scared to go to there house you never know what some people may do when you show up on there doorstep and if something bad was to happen to me or them it would not be worth it over $100
                        Exactly. I wrote my legal letter, and I hope to be paid. If I don't though...I'll move on. It is not worth pursuing.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Absolutely true. Got to know when to walk away. I don't have as many "strangers" to work for as some. So I know some background usually. But I have carried a Sawed Off in the truck before.

J.C.

Comment

This happens to me only about once a year.

Every time I've been able to get my money by bringing the NSF check to the customers bank, asking the teller if the account has enough funds to cash the check, and cashing it if it does.

This is a pain in the arse, but it's better than nothing.

Sometimes the account won't have enough funds and you'll have to make several trips until it does.

The worst was three trips in a month.

I would wait until work was slow and there were no errands to run.

I haven't learned any other way since this method has worked so far.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

That is a good idea, keep checking. If a check is cancelled, in 6 months the cancellation expires. Check the bank then. Or, go door to door and tell all their neighbors. Of course this worked in the old days. Now, most folks are not really suprised by people writing bad checks.

Comment

Working...
                              X