X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest plumbing job, well sort of,

truthfully it is not a actual plumbing job but it does deal with water and pipe. and working with them.
    Neighbor is going to put in a new center pivot irrigation sprinkler, and asked me if I would be interested in the old unit, for steel, so the last few days I been stripping the unit down of the electrical and the control boxes and such, so he can reuse on another unit, to day I took the fork lift down and took off the end pipe and prepared it for moving it up the road, to my location,
    there are ten towers the entire unit is a 1/4 mile long, so each unit is 132 feet long, we will put a dolly under the tower end and tow the section with a tractor.

I got it all apart into individual sections so now all I will need to do is move it, guessing it will take about two days to move all the sections of to my place,

but will cut it up for the angle iron, use the pipe in it for fence posts, and the truss rods for corral fencing, and the base section of the tower will be put to use in my wind turbine, tower or some of them will, and then of course there will some scrap Iron, but it will save me hundreds of dollars in steel for future and current projects,

it is very similar to the unit in the picture,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 01-21-2009, 09:49 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: My latest plumbing job, well sort of,

AHHH Yes,
    The cousin and I had a blast moving one of these from one well to the other at 14 years.
    Imagine moving those tires 90 degrees to parrallel,in 100 degree heat and humidity,deep mud and seven foot corn.The end of the day was rewarding,blasting the tractor through the half foot deep,twenty foot wide pump pond.

Thanks for the memories BHD.

Isn't that aluminum pipe.
    What about the individual motors,They can crawl those tires over a van.

Comment

the motors are 1 1/2 hp, that go into (I think 30 to 1 center boxes) and the end gear boxes are 50 to 1, so the 1 1/2 1750 rpm, motor dives each tower, the wheels are rotating at about 1.16 rpm, the tires are the same as semi tires, on a steel 8 hole rim,
      they recap semi tires for the drive wheels, (i think you can buy new tires but most go for the recaps, it not like your going to throw one at that speed). yes if you are unlucky and park a pickup or similar in the towers path it will walk it self over it or at lest up on to it, it may Hi center or tear the drive lines up.

The pipe is steel, the one I tearing down is painted, It was one of the first Lockwood's made, late 1960, in a few years they galvanized the entire units. but amazingly it is still in good shape even the pipe is reasonable, the problem was he need to patch a few sections, the pipe split, (the drains were not function any more and it froze up during the winter).

the speed is by a percentage timer on the end tower, and the other towers are ran by micro switch, and a contractor, all on 440 three phase, depending on the direction of travel the arm on the control box, when the tower is out of line the micro switch, is clicked on and energized the contractor, which turns on the motor until the switch is relieved, and then there is a set of additional micro switches that will cut the power if there contacted, shutting off the machine so the unit does not walk around on it self, if one tower fails, or gets stuck,

simple but very ingenious system, you only need a 500 to 1000 gallon a min water source to supply one, below 500 gpm you can not get enough water for our area to raise a profitable crop for the most part. or you need much help from mother nature.

these tires are not the one designed to pivot to be towed, they made a few like that and may still, but, (the Idea was one could pull the entire unit across the field to another center section and hook it up and in theory water more ground with one unit, the problem was (in our area, one pivot needs to run more than than that to make the crop, and the work to move one is a lot, so most added additional units), in some parts of the country it may work but not here,

the tower section will be lifted up and a cart will be put under and chained to the tower for wheels to tow each section with, each section will be moved by it self.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD for filling us in on how these irrigation systems work. I have always wondered about them and there are many used on the farms around me.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
        X