Economy bad...work for less?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy bad...work for less?

LOL...this is a phone call I got! Guy says he wants his Pro Series back up pum installed. I quote him the hourly rate, and an estimate on the time. He says that is a lot, he could do it himself, but he is lazy!! He wants to pay $150 to have it installed. I said fine, if thats how long it takes me (which is possible). But I dont want to be held to anything, without first seeing the job!

Then the bomb drop...he is looking for someone to do it on the side, and seeing how the economy is bad, I could make some cash, by doing it on the cheap.

Re: Economy bad...work for less?

I would tell him:
    "Well, the economy is not bad for me. I have more business than I can handle. I can't get to you for at least 2 weeks, you might have to call someone else, sorry, bye." *CLICK!*

I am not joking. I am so busy currently that I have had to say this to people a few times recently. I can't handle every call that comes in, so naturally the hagglers are the first ones that I blow off.
    Going to a call right now (5pm). 4th one today.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      I would tell him:
      "Well, the economy is not bad for me. I have more business than I can handle. I can't get to you for at least 2 weeks, you might have to call someone else, sorry, bye." *CLICK!*

I am not joking. I am so busy currently that I have had to say this to people a few times recently. I can't handle every call that comes in, so naturally the hagglers are the first ones that I blow off.
      Carl,unless You see a set of red and blue flashing lights on Your truck roof, You're not 911.

I tried to respond to everyones wishes ,when I was young, NO MORE !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Carl, Please don't just blow them off; just tell them you are too busy or don't need to compromise price. If you set up an appointment and just ignore it or don't return your calls it could hurt your reputation as a reliable plumber. Even cheapskates like JC and I might have less frugal friends.

Comment

That is what I meant by "blow them off." I tell them I am too busy and I can't get there.

Comment

How did I get dragged into this???

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              How did I get dragged into this???

J.C.
              It was meant in good fun. Just using as an example of a frugal person, not that you would really try to grind Carl on his price.

Comment

But anyway, a good job is not cheap, and a cheap job is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                  a good job is not cheap, and a cheap job is not good.
                  Excellent quote. I'll have to remember that one.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                    It was meant in good fun. Just using as an example of a frugal person, not that you would really try to grind Carl on his price.
                    I know. Lighten' up dude. Sugar withdrawal? I've been told I have a decent sense of humor.

And of course I'd grind Carl on his price and ask him senseless questions while he's under a house with a torch in his hand, the water trickling, insulation in his face, laying in water.....wait a minute-that's when people call me.

J.C.

Comment

I can assure everyone that hell would surely freeze over before JC would ever pay my rates. Just look at that picture of his bathtub in his avatar.

Comment

I know. Lighten' up dude. Sugar withdrawal?
                        Could very well be. I think I'm getting old, I wanted to take a nap yesterday after work.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                          But anyway, a good job is not cheap, and a cheap job is not good.
                          I usually think of it as: Good, Cheap, and Fast. You can pick 2 out of 3.

Comment

I can assure everyone that hell would surely freeze over before JC would ever pay my rates. Just look at that picture of his bathtub in his avatar.
                            Who are you to criticize. You've got a pic of some Monster holding your baby.

J.C.

Comment

Who are you to criticize. You've got a pic of some Monster holding your baby.

J.C.
                              Yeah.....she's smiling and laughing thinking "Thank God I get my looks from Mom!".
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X