X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which water heaters....

Which water heater brands require the most service to work properly. I thought about U & I's thread on A.O. Smith. Seems like we run into A.O.'s being finicky but not other brands.

Do you see as many Rheems, BW's etc. getting out of tolerances & have to be adjusted or parts replaced on them (say, an ignitor).

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Which water heaters....

I only see more AO Smith/State heaters more because they have been the biggest player in this market. That trend seems to be changing to Bradford White. Rheem is starting to make a push here as well.

Each manufacturer has their own proprietary parts that we have to go on a treasure hunt to find.

I know that a 10 year old heater will require less service than a 2 year old heater.

Comment

i've had lots of calls on rheem. probably because i'm an authorized installer.

biggest problem with their commercial is the blower assembly with pressure switch. a little lint/ dust on the blower wheel and the pressure switch doesn't close.

they've retrofitted the original hardware cloth/screen with a larger style screen mesh to allow for more of a filter.

usually a toothbrush will clean the internal blower wheel and restore the positive pressure to close the switch.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

We have oodles of call backs on the John Wood GSW 40 & 50 gal conventional HWTs on the TCO switch. It seems that in an attempt to sneak in under a certain bracket of efficiency, they messed with the output of the pilot light, and now the TCO's aren't compatible. Then they offer me 55 bucks (Which I have neve received) to go back and switch it out. I only do it to keep my customers happy, not for the 55 beak.

I have stopped buying GSW now, and have been having alot of success with a Canadian tank called Giant. Good tanks, Great technical support. I even had a rep come out to the job and deliver a part (mechanical coupling for the vent) that got missed at the factory.
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

We have installed mainly Bradford White water heaters for about the last ten or so years and have had few call backs on them. Before that we were using Ruud which we had more problems with leakers not many but enough to make the switch to Bradford.
          Seems like most of the service calls I get on newer heaters that we didnt install are mainly A O power vented

Comment

We install Bradford White but I work on enough A.O. Smith power vents that I would never buy one. Just priced a new blower assembly for a AOS, which they will not just part out, it was 400.00. We installed a new B.W. instead.

I had a faulty gas valve on a BW a few months ago. When I called to order a new one, I figured it would take a couple days to get it. The supplier said they always keep a bunch of them in stock.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I also have recently had a lot of bad luck with the GSW John Wood residential tanks. I have installed them exclusively for 19 years now as they have always been a good tank made here in Canada and i have always felt strongly about supporting homegrown product when possible.
              With the problems with gas valves and rollout switches that have cropped up lately I am not sure which way to go. I have liked the bradford white for quality and may go there even though they are not made in Canada...

Comment

I remember in the mid '90s there seemed to a bad batch of State w/h's and alot of tank leaks, at that time alot of outfits made the switch to BW. They have been a reliable heater until they came out with the gas model defender in about '05 and they were so finicky in regards to the venting that the tinners were having to re-vent 35% of all new construction installs. I see 50 to 1 electric to gas round these parts and in that respect they all compare about the same. I generally do not replace a water heater unless there is a tank leak, in the last 2 1/2 months I have replaced 4. But with the way Ferguson is treating me on the BTH-120 I will go back to selling Bradford Whites.
                sigpic
                www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
                  I also have recently had a lot of bad luck with the GSW John Wood residential tanks. I have installed them exclusively for 19 years now as they have always been a good tank made here in Canada and i have always felt strongly about supporting homegrown product when possible.
                  With the problems with gas valves and rollout switches that have cropped up lately I am not sure which way to go. I have liked the bradford white for quality and may go there even though they are not made in Canada...
                  Go with Giant, you won't be disapointed
                  West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                  Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Working...
                  X