X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to build a jetter.

I've come upon a few jobs recently where a jetter would have helped me greatly. I want to be able to put it either on a cart that I can roll into my Sprinter or build a small trailer for it. The vast majority of my work will be on 4" and smaller pipes, aimed at grease more so then roots. I'm thinking a 24 HP Honda Engine with a pump in the 4000 PSI/6 GPM range. What pumps do you guys recommend...I heard that Cat pumps are the best. I can buy a brand new engine and pump for around $2500, but where is a good place to buy the hoses at and what sizes should I purchase? Thanks.

Re: I want to build a jetter.

Why not just buy one?
    sigpic

Comment

I should have stated that in the beginning huh.......I was thinking of bulding it versus buying it because it seems that it would cost me about $500 for the same quality. I've seen a few on ebay from that one company but they don't tell you what make the engine is and it looks like a cheapo..plus they can't "speel" for anything. Someone should proof read their ads!!!

Comment

i would rather have the gpm than the psi.

4000# is great, but 6 gpm is so,so.

why not try 3000# @ 9-10 gpm. the gpm is what does the real cleaning and flushing. plus your hoses will like 3000# better than 4000#. of course you will need a water tank to supply the pump. also an unloader/ regulator back to the tank, thermal and pressure relief valve and low water cut off float. engine already has a low oil cut off.

3000 will still eaisly cut grease and roots. the gpm is the what cost money. psi is cheap.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

good luck vette, tell me how you come out.My dad bought a 25hp honda pressure washer 10yrs ago from water cannon. He died, and I really haven't tinkered with it another to figure it out. To busy running a business, and keeping all my other junk I mean equipment reunning. Good luck to ya neghbor.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i would rather have the gpm than the psi.

4000# is great, but 6 gpm is so,so.

why not try 3000# @ 9-10 gpm. the gpm is what does the real cleaning and flushing. plus your hoses will like 3000# better than 4000#. of course you will need a water tank to supply the pump. also an unloader/ regulator back to the tank, thermal and pressure relief valve and low water cut off float. engine already has a low oil cut off.

3000 will still eaisly cut grease and roots. the gpm is the what cost money. psi is cheap.

rick.
            Get happy and add a hose reel.

Powered of course.
            Kenneth Collier
            Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
            Jackson, MS 39206
            (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
            drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

I looked up a 3000psi/10 GPM CAT pump......$6,300. Just for the pump alone, versus about $1200 for a 6 GPM. I think I'll pass on that many gpm for now, unless someone knows of a good deal???

Comment

Try Northern Tool & Equipment, they probably will have what you're looking for!

Comment

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
                  I looked up a 3000psi/10 GPM CAT pump......$6,300. Just for the pump alone, versus about $1200 for a 6 GPM. I think I'll pass on that many gpm for now, unless someone knows of a good deal???
                  That price is crazy you can get a 24hp honda and pump and unloader all together for that much. In the old days cat pumps where great had 9 lives etc. but they didn't move forward and other pump companies did so check around. For a good quote look up Seattle Pump on google they make jetters and sell and ship.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Get an opinion from ACE SEWER.
                    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

The easiest thing I've found for a 5-6gpm jetter is AR's RKV5.5G40HD pump. It's 5.5 gpm at 3400rpm, 4000 psi. Most small engines do 3600 rpm so you can push it a little. The thing I like about this pump is that it is set up for direct drive, no need for a belt or gearbox, which saves space and complexity and money. These can be had for less than $400. If 5.5 gpm will do it for you, there is no cheaper or easier way I've found.

As to brand of pump, I've had general, and ar, not had cat or comet, nothing to choose as far as I can tell... none of mine have been completely trouble free, but none have been so bad I'd recommend against them.

The reason I recommend the ar pump above is that it is the only thing I've found for direct drive with more than 4gpm.

For hose I prefer parker 518c-4, the -4 being 1/4". It is orange, nonconductive, some kind of plastic braid. Has good abrasion resistance and can take being run over by a car w/o damage. Everyone else you talk with will tell you you need 3/8", not 1/4". for 4" and 6" service lines, you don't. At least I don't. I've said all this before but I'll say it again; 1/4" works, it's cheaper, you get more on a given size reel, and it goeas around bends easier.

nozzles I like aquamole and stoneage.

a reel is pretty much a reel.
                      Last edited by Ace Sewer; 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
                        Diamond pistons?

J.C.

Comment

one of general's carwash pumps at 10gpm and 3000psi can be had for about $2K
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Maybe diamond pistons for that price...ha.... but seriously...I noticed that when you go over 6 GPM for any brand of pump, the price increases exponentially. It makes sense considering that some heavy duty trailer units with 20 GPM and up cost at least $40,000.

Comment

Working...
                            X