X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry fire sprinkler

I'm kicking around the idea of installing a wirsbo fire sprinkler system at my house. Now, my concern is that I live in Missouri, and while we don't see the extremes in temperature that a lot of you see, it still freezes here. So while the idea of insulating the system isn't bad, it just won't cut it in a non flowing system at 5 degrees outside. So here's what i'm thinking; I seperate the sprinkler system from the rest of the potable system with a pressure reducing valve set to 80 psi. Immediately after the PRV I put in a tee, terminating the branch with a gauge assembly. When the system is complete, I pressurize the sprinkler side of the system to about 90 psi, then turn the water back on. That should keep water from entering the sprinkler side unless their is a pressure drop, which would hopefully only be when high heat sets off a sprinkler head. Thoughts? Suggestions? Better ideas?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: dry fire sprinkler

actually after giving it some further thought, I'm not sure how well my evil plan here will work with the pressure changes in a closed system as ambient temperature changes.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I think I understand. But I'm not so sure that the system wouldn't balance itself anyway without you knowing.

Typical PEX has a small % of O2 permeation which could contribute to this.

Just thinking.

Keeping the sprinkler lines at the bottom of the joists should suffice with enough insulation above. Shouldn't it? With the heat loss between the insulation & the drywall?

I know this is coming so I've got to study up.

Betcha' can't wait for all of those "designer" sprinkler heads to come out? Something else to order and keep track of....

J.C.

Comment

I guess I'm mostly concerned about the winter power outages here from the ice storms, I don't live in a dense enough area to be very high on the list for getting power restored. So that got me thinking that there had to be a way to make a dry system. my best bet might be to just install a drain valve and shutoff for it. You're probably right about it balancing itself. And right now the city i work in "which does it's own code enforcement and licensing, no state license" is trying to decide if they'll be adopting the mandatory residential fire sprinklers. Come to think of it, when I talked to the inspections department last month, they were still trying to decide if we'd be adopting the 2009 IPC codes.
        Last edited by MoJourneyman; 01-24-2009, 11:47 PM. Reason: horrible spelling

Comment

You can put solenoid "dump" valves in a low strategic place that will open if power is lost. Then they close when power returns.

You'd have to think it out for best drainage & if you need two water sources or not.

The whole code system pisses me off. I am for codes, inspections, licensing, & enforcement. But I'm not for this constant "tweaking" to keep peoples jobs at ICC and code boards. On top of that the whole U.S. should have ONE CODE!

J.C.

Comment

Are we the only two people on the forum? Someone jump in and tell me how wrong I am.

J.C.

Comment

one code and one license. In my area, if i'm not working inside of a handful of major cities, I need a business license, no plumbing license, no contractors license, nothing but a $50 business license.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Are we the only two people on the forum? Someone jump in and tell me how wrong I am.

J.C.
                I really think we are. I guess other people have better things to do on a Saturday night

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  one code and one license. In my area, if i'm not working inside of a handful of major cities, I need a business license, no plumbing license, no contractors license, nothing but a $50 business license.
                  I bet you don't have an inspector there that really knows when plumbing is done right or not. Maybe I need to move there and I could pass an inspection or two.

J.C.

Comment

I asked an inspector a question for clarification, he told me that since i'd just taken my license test, I was far more current with the code than he was. at that point I realized, if I failed an inspection here, I did something Really stupid

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                      I really think we are. I guess other people have better things to do on a Saturday night
                      We came in early. We were at a Chinese place earlier and saw a dude with a small beard wearing some sort of woman's toboggan and women's shoes.

For my location...real weird.

J.C.

Comment

I'm tabbing between this, Fark.com, and a half-hearted attempt at genocide in world of warcraft, all in all a productive evening.

Comment

i'm here

i'v got a little experience with this. only a little.

sounds like what you might want to think about is a closed dry system with a dedicated holding tank.

i don't know what what gas would be used to pressurize the system. in theory, it would work.

you would need a pressure switch that would activate a dedicated fire/sprinkler pump.

Vince

Comment

thanks Vince, sounds like i'm opening a can of worms in an effort to amuse myself. Maybe i'll just buy a bigger fire extinguisher and make a donation to the local fire department.

Comment

Insurance companies are gonna' be all for domestic sprinkler installs 'til they get the claims when people hit the head with the ladder etc. and don't know how to shut the thing off.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X