X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting 1 1/2" black pipe in close quarters

I have a 1 1/2" gas line to re route. It is above a dropped ceiling about 4 ft. and drops down beside block a wall. There is not enough clearance to go a full revolution with my Ridgid iron pipe cutter. What are the chances of causing an explotion if I cut into it with my sawzall? I don't own a ban saw. I have done this on smaller lines that run shorter distances, but this gas line is quite long. This in a school building, I want to be safe as possble. There will kids present at time of work being done.

Re: Cutting 1 1/2" black pipe in close quarters

Sawzall
    I don't understand
    The gas is off right?

Comment

purge the line before cutting and I would think you would be ok.

Comment

The only problem I ever had was when the "UP MAN" did not turn the gas off.
        GNARLY!!!!

Comment

L P gas would be a different story ...But when natural gas is off it is off..
          years ago a welder and i were working on a 3" gas line ,when he hit it with the rod it did pooff scared the cr#p out of him that was a big long line
          i cut gas lines with a sawzall when ever i need to , no problem

Comment

Cut it and thread it in place with a portable threader. Now, if you have to use a left and right nipple and coupling to get things back together, I hope you have a little give in the line. Real hard to do without a little give.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Sawzall
              I don't understand
              The gas is off right?
              I'm going to turn gas off at the meter first

Comment

I came to help a coworker on a job years ago. We were doing a partial repipe in an old house with galvy water lines. He pointed me into the next room and said cut and remove that water line.

So, I go in and start cutting it with the sawzall. I get about halfway thru it when he comes in and says "No, no, no that's the wrong one". So I stop cutting and while we're are sitting there arguing about whether or not that is the one he told me to cut, we hear the gas hissing out of halfway cut pipe. Finally we realize what has happened and run out and shut off the meter.

I was sure that was the one he meant, and I didn't really look at it to see where it was going. Plus all of the piping had been painted white, so it was hard to tell 3/4 galvy from 3/4 black iron.

Anyway, we're both still alive.

Comment

Interesting question from a Master Plumber.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Take your 202 Ridgid cutter and take the 2 rollers out and put 2 cutter wheels in their place and you have a 3 wheeled cutter. Works like a physic.
                    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Just make sure that all three wheels are tracking (in the same cut) and not making three different cuts.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Yes I am a master plumber but not a master gas fitter. I have ran miles of gas piping in new homes. I have never cut into a 1 1/2" gas line(WITH GAS STILL IN IT) that runs who knows where or how long. This is not a small building. How am I to know how much gas will remain in that line, that is why I asked. I may be a master plumber but by no means do I know everything!! I'm sure you don't either.

Comment

Doesn't everyone own a Rigid 4-wheel cutter?

It may be expensive but are worth every penny when you need it. It is great for cutting out a portion of an old hot water line without shaking up the remainder of the line. And it is spark free.

Since it is in a school I think I would break the union at the meter as well as a union neear the cut. That should let enough air in to be 100% certain of no danger. but you will have the odor of gas to explain.

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          Unlike General contractors, Master Plumbers do not always have all of the answers!

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
                            Doesn't everyone own a Rigid 4-wheel cutter?

It may be expensive but are worth every penny when you need it. It is great for cutting out a portion of an old hot water line without shaking up the remainder of the line. And it is spark free.

Since it is in a school I think I would break the union at the meter as well as a union neear the cut. That should let enough air in to be 100% certain of no danger. but you will have the odor of gas to explain.

Unlike General contractors, Master Plumbers do not always have all of the answers!
                            I agree 100% , Gets proven every day!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

a converted 3 wheel or a 4 cutting wheel cutter is great for cutting.

it sucks to try to thread pipe after you've used a cutter with no rollers.

the burr will form both inside and outside the pipe.

use the sawzall for this.

use the 3 wheel or 4 wheel for demo work. not threader work

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X