X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet leak through ceiling

Customer call for upstair toilet leaking though ceiling. Customer had cut hole in ceiling to expose drain line under toilet.

1) Pulled toilet to find wax caved into drain. Possibly leaking for some time w/ some wood damage. Customer stated that wax had been changed about 3 years ago, and that the toilet never worked correctly. Substrate is fairly springy in that area. If pressed the flange will push down about ¼ inch.
    2) Replaced wax seal and used old wax to seal around flange. Remounted toilet.
    3) Customer calls back the next day stating that it is still leaking. Yes, there is a bead of H2O on the underside of the flange.
    4) Thinking the flange might be corroded, I install an flange insert (twist type) to bypass the original flange/bend transition. Test with about 6 flushes. No sign of leak.
    5) Customer call back after about 2 hours. Still leaking.
    6) Check around toilet, no detectible cracks. Dry the area under the flange. Stand on the toilet (full weight) and flush about 6 times. No leaking. Prop the flapper open so water is running continuously. No leak. Dry the whole area again and tell the Customer not to use the toilet for a day.
    7) Call the Customer after 24 hours and ask if there is leaking. No leaking.
    8) Tell the Customer to use the toilet as usual. Daughter comes home from work around 4:30 and is the primary user of this toilet. Customer call up and the toilet is now leaking again.
    9) The Daughter is a fairly good sized gal (I'm only 160lbs). And I think that the leak is showing up only when a certain amount of weight is applied. I find out the the toilet was used only sparingly for some time and that the Daughter just recently moved back home. This is when the leak started to show.
    10) My thought is that I will have to pull the toilet, replace the substrate and install a new flange. The flange & bend are CI coupled to ABS.

Am I on the right track here?

Re: Toilet leak through ceiling

Yes.

Comment

I had to look up substrate, but yeah, I think you're on the right track.

I would change the C.I. to abs while you're at it.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Take a look at the bowl trap.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
          I had to look up substrate, but yeah, I think you're on the right track.

I would change the C.I. to abs while you're at it.
          Yup I looked it up too.
          Something that stuff attaches to.Plants,algae.
          So if there is no barnacles under the toilet you need to replace the substrate.

Comment

Does substrate=OSB?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Yup I looked it up too.
              Something that stuff attaches to.Plants,algae.
              So if there is no barnacles under the toilet you need to replace the substrate.
              The first definition I found was real confusin'

1. a substratum

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                The first definition I found was real confusin'

1. a substratum
                Same here
                I thought it had something to do with clouds

Comment

Okay, okay

I meant the plywood that is under the tile. What the hell is it called? subflooring? It's got to be subsomething....

Comment

I've always just called it plywood, just never heard it called substrate. I don't know everything though. I'm still learning.

But one of the definitions of substrate, or substratum, or stratum, I found was

"a layer of material, naturally or artificially formed, often one of a number of parallel layers one upon another: a stratum of ancient foundations."

so I figured that's what you meant.

Lenny

Comment

subflooring

Lenny

Comment

Can't believe You guys have never heard the term substrate before.

Tell the Daughter to move back in with the bum !
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.

gratuit pour mobile sonnerie portable mp3 - Sonnerie portable MP3 est en effet un pouvoir de l'innovation technologique. Êtes-vous familier avec cette sonnerie portable?gratuit pour mobile sonnerie portable mp3

Comment

I've found that sometimes the bigger customers move differently and can shift the toilet easier. Possibly put the toilet in paris when you instal it but this is a desperation move, or use a foam ring. They give and expand with the movement of the toilet but must be sized fairly close as they're not as forgiving as the wax rings.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Around where I work we call it a subfloor. I am always amazed though at how the same thing can be refered to in so many different terms depending on the area you are in.

Comment

Working...
                              X