X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else tried these

I found these online, and am going to try it out on my current job- Apollo 78RV series "water heater shutoff & thermal expansion relief valve" Takes the place of expansion tanks, with a built in ball valve, and there cheaper than the tank alone

Re: Anyone else tried these

Can't take the place of the tank.

J.C.

Comment

If those are the shutoff's that you run a 3/8" line down from to the drain pan, then I have installed them.

At the time it was approved to take the place of the shutoff and expansion tank, for us, they were miserable failures. After the system was up and running for a couple of weeks up to a few months, water would start running down the discharge line, and the spring and ball would have to be replaced. repeat ad naseum. we ended up taking all but a small handful back out to install expansion tanks and a regular valve.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

There is supposed to be water running out of the line...when thermal expansion occurs, especially when you first fire up the tank, the valve releases the pressure through the bypass.

Here, the inspectors often will accept that valve in lieu of a trap primer on the mechanical room floor drain.

Comment

after water would begin discharging it would never stop. If it's supposed to discharge constantly, wouldn't the energy conservation code make these valves illegal?
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
          X