My First Insurance Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My First Insurance Claim

Just starting my fourth year in business, and have been lucky so far.

I have a pre-authorization for damage to pipe when drain cleaning, which is most of my business. I triple check any new parts I install, or any old parts I'm anywhere near, just in case. Unfortunately my luck will likely not last forever.

Sorry for your bad luck.

Hopefully, I won't be able to relate anytime soon.

This kind of jerky that you did work for is why I stopped doing renovation work and switched to mostly drains. It took me 7 months to collect the last payment of $2000.00 from the last big job I did in 2007. Small jobs ever since.

Comment

14 years ago we were doing a repipe on a 155 unit building. all went well until 1 day an angle stop was left open while we turned the stack back onto the 5 story building. this was the unit we didn't have a plumber on since he left early that day.

of course once i get up there, there was approx. 10- 15 gallons of water on the carpet. this carpet was called "sisal" it really looks like the bottom side of the carpet. anyways the carpet actually shrunk

the owner of the unit wasn't home and i stuck around for a couple hours. left our # and she never called.

she decided that she needed to stay in a hotel, eat fancy meals, ect,ect. long story short. she got paid for her damaged carpet only, no hotel and no meals, no nothing.

we would have paid for it ourselves, but she was trying to take advantage of the situation and that's when we turned it into the insurance co.

you have insurance for the just incase.

just incase you get an idiot like this

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        Hey it's tough being me!

You going to the pumper show?
        i dont think ill make it this year? id like to though looks like some good classes. how bout you? and thanks guys for all the feed back
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

I've been pretty lucky I guess.

Only burned 1 house to the ground

Flooded a finished basement because 5/8" side of a compression stop was only hand tight

Oh, and the sprinkler head that went off when the torch hit it. Penthouse of a new 50 unit condo building. Original estimates were in the $25,000 dollar range. Actual payout was over $125,000

What?...I didn't say it was good luck

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            I've been pretty lucky I guess.

Only burned 1 house to the ground

Flooded a finished basement because 5/8" side of a compression stop was only hand tight

Oh, and the sprinkler head that went off when the torch hit it. Penthouse of a new 50 unit condo building. Original estimates were in the $25,000 dollar range. Actual payout was over $125,000

What?...I didn't say it was good luck
            OUTCH! are you serious?
            Mike
            Clark County Plumbing And Drain
            www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

The 'Blazing on Blair Drive' and 'The Deluge of Decarlia Parkway' were mine but 'Saturation in Sumter Suites' was a coworker

Comment

I was working on a 2nd story lav. drain that was clogged. Used our K3800 and went in the basement to verify the cable was in the main. Went back upstairs, pulled the cable out, turned on the lav and marveled about how great of a plumber I am. We talk about 10 minutes while the lav is running and I begin cleaning up and as I walked down the stairs I see black gunk all over the white carpet and water overflowing from the lav sink on the main level.

Somehow I managed to clog the drain below the main level lav, it overflowed and I destroyed two computers and two monitors, one printer and a wood desk and some ceiling in the basement.

The owner was a true gentlemen and was more than gracious. We didn't charge him anything but he got mad about that and sent 200.00. He even gave me a book when I was done.

He never filed a claim.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                  I was working on a 2nd story lav. drain that was clogged. Used our K3800 and went in the basement to verify the cable was in the main. Went back upstairs, pulled the cable out, turned on the lav and marveled about how great of a plumber I am. We talk about 10 minutes while the lav is running and I begin cleaning up and as I walked down the stairs I see black gunk all over the white carpet and water overflowing from the lav sink on the main level.

Somehow I managed to clog the drain below the main level lav, it overflowed and I destroyed two computers and two monitors, one printer and a wood desk and some ceiling in the basement.

The owner was a true gentlemen and was more than gracious. We didn't charge him anything but he got mad about that and sent 200.00. He even gave me a book when I was done.

He never filed a claim.
                  That reminds me of something that happened to me.

Ran a kitchen sink 2" clean out in the cabinet of a slab house with a 1/2 inch cable. Ran out about 30 feet to make sure I was reaching the sewer. I thought I heard something by the bathrooms, went to check. Could not see a problem in the bathrooms. assumed the cable came up the sewer vent. Line is unstopped. I leave.

Three hours later, customer calls, toilet leak, Damn...

I go back and sure enough I broke the back out of the tan colored commode with the cable.

I tell the customer I've been doing this 12 years, at the time it happened, done thousands of kitchen sink drains, and never broke a commode by cleaning a kitchen sink drain. We're both kind of at the mercy of the plumbers who installed the plumbing in a way that would allow this to happen. We'll handle it whichever way you think is fair.

He says that they were planning on replacing the commode anyway, so they'll buy the commode, if I'll install it for free.

Sounded good to me. I love reasonable customers.

Took them over a month to get the commode in the color they wanted. It arrived in the wrong color, pepto bismol pink. Either they or the toilet people made a mistake. They said hell with it just install it. I installed for free and got my invoice signed with our deal.

Comment

Just remember it always could have been worst. I just finished a project where a leak at a faucet resulted in almost $1,000,000 in damages.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post

He never filed a claim.
                      Was the Book Good?

Comment

Working...
                      X