X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Insurance Claim

well it happened and it couldnt of happened with a worse customer! I will start at the begining when i first went into business 2 years ago i gave this guy a bid to rough in his house, he seemed like a nice guy doing his own general work (come to find out he is a cheap weasel). 4 months later he calls and said he is ready for the rough in i show up and there is no walls in the house i tell him to call me when he is ready i dont hear from him for 3 months he calls on a thursday says he needs the rough in done by monday for his bank. i call a buddy of mine who lives a few hours away and 5 of us knock this place out in a weekend. the homeowner never even says thank you. he didnt have his deck built for his jetted tub so i tell him to call me back it takes him 3 months to pay me and he doesnt return my calls. and he never builds his deck for his tub. so last week he calls and said hes ready for me to set his tub my gut told me to just send him a check and tell him find someone else to do it. but i try to be a man of integrity so i told myself to go do it and i could be done with him. so i set his home depot tub and waste and overflow on the 3rd story i get a call and hour later that there is water downstairs and the house is flooded. i get there and there is a small puddle on his hardwood floor and a few spots on the drywall. i only left about 5" of water in the tub. i didnt tighten the tub shoe all the way (im a idiot) i have my water damage guy come out and he said its not to bad and took moisture readings and the homeowner is questioning him the entire time. he insisted i have my insurance company come out. i feel better after talking to my insurance company they told me the homeowner is no longer allowed to talk to me which is nice. Sorry so long im just really discouraged i just dont make stupid mistakes like this and if i did i try to make it right but this guy is just an a$$. i want to curl up in a ball and hide for awhile any of you guys have something like this? ps i feel better just getting it out
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: My First Insurance Claim

Don't curl up,try and shake it off.Stuff happens sometimes.
    Kenneth Collier
    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
    Jackson, MS 39206
    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

I had where a guy left a packing nut on an angle stop leaking and damaged a hardwood floor in a kitchen, another one with a leaking supply line got carpet in a bathroom wet and a third one where a guy replacing 1/2" copper in the ceiling of a laundry room cut through his drop cloth and the vinyl floor leaving a perfect 1/2" hole in the floor. None of them cost me over $1,000 (plus my time) and I did not call my insurance company on any of them. I prefer to leave insurance claims to catastrophic failures but that's just me.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Sorry to hear it. It's what every plumber dreads and has kept me up at night.

"Did I tighten that the right amount? Too much? Too little?"

Honestly, I know how you feel but this is really a tiny claim.

Something I don't quite understand is that I'm required to have all the tubs etc. in position & tested at the rough in. There is no drywall or hardwood flooring.

J.C.

Comment

Master's self rimming.Goes in after tile.

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
            any of you guys have something like this?

Yes.

My first one since 1992, only my 3rd in my career. For as many connections I've put my hands on, I find myself very fortunate, given the quality of products these days.

That gut instinct was telling you to keep away...got to listen to that gut instinct. It usually doesn't fail ya.

On the man of integrity statement,

That is an honorable thing to do, but you can chuck that attitude when the customer took 3 months to pay you.

Nobody gets a cookie for anything...so there's where the logic lies.

I would of never stepped foot back on that property knowing that was the case.

In the big picture, you'll get the premiums you paid into the past couple years and then some...that's a good thing because now it justifies the expense.

It might be a proud statement to say you never used your insurance, but that's money you never got to fully use. Not saying I'm leaving here to go burn a house down, but accidents happen, we're human, no way around that.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I Had a woman loosen her Supply Stops then go to work !

I keep the nuts with the plier marks hanging in my office , to remind me !

To make matters worse She NEVER Paid for the Job !!!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Master's self rimming.Goes in after tile.
                I put them in anyway everytime. I try to meet with the tile person to set the lip level where they need it in the framing. I've had them remove them after rough in. That's when I make sure everyone knows that they have compromised the plumbing test and removed me from liability on that fixture in writing.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  I put them in anyway everytime. I try to meet with the tile person to set the lip level where they need it in the framing. I've had them remove them after rough in. That's when I make sure everyone knows that they have compromised the plumbing test and removed me from liability on that fixture in writing.

J.C.
                  Interesting.
                  Lots of extra steps for someone to pay for.
                  So the tile guy has to float under the tub while maintaining a level plane for the tile he is going to thinset and slide under the tub..No way..My tile guy would shoot me,or better for him charge ten times as much

If you disconnect the tub and reconnect what's the point.

I know it can be done.I'm glad I get to the tubs after the tile.

How bout-chu.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Interesting.
                    Lots of extra steps for someone to pay for.
                    So the tile guy has to float under the tub while maintaining a level plane for the tile he is going to thinset and slide under the tub..No way..My tile guy would shoot me,or better for him charge ten times as much

If you disconnect the tub and reconnect what's the point.

I know it can be done.I'm glad I get to the tubs after the tile.

How bout-chu.
                    I like my way.
                    When roughing in, I make an effort to think about where a light, fan, HVAC duct etc. is going and keep that space open for the next guy.

This is one time I'm not too worried about the next guy. I'm worried about the plumbing. Here I've never ever seen a true craftsman at tile. Always some guy that picked it up part time or learned the wrong way from someone else. I've asked several different ones about Schluter systems, grout sealing, approved backing material etc. and they look at me kind of hypnotized.

I believe it's part of the tile person's job to get that tile under the lip if I need him/her too. (That's probably what I should have just stated from the start.)

J.C.

Comment

thanks guys. i usually set the tub on the rough in but you cant test against those american standard waste and overflows and the deck wasnt built. as of the insurance if it was anything else i would try to work with them but this guy wasnt haven it so now he can jump through the insurance hoops. listening to him last night it was like he wanted things wrong with his house. i appreciate all your guys info. its nice being able to blow off steam with people that understand and are honest. i love my wife but she's doesnt deal with the ins and outs of the plumbing trade
                      Mike

Comment

I got an enlarged prostate, and I like hard boiled eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          I got an enlarged prostate, and I like hard boiled eggs.
                          you crack me up
                          Mike

Comment

you crack me up

Hey it's tough being me!

You going to the pumper show?

Comment

thanks guys. i usually set the tub on the rough in but you cant test against those american standard waste and overflows and the deck wasnt built. as of the insurance if it was anything else i would try to work with them but this guy wasnt haven it so now he can jump through the insurance hoops. listening to him last night it was like he wanted things wrong with his house. i appreciate all your guys info. its nice being able to blow off steam with people that understand and are honest. i love my wife but she's doesnt deal with the ins and outs of the plumbing trade
                              Just a tip if you're talking about an A.S. overflow that's flat & at the top. You can test the it by putting an 1 1/4" "skinny" Cherne test ball in there. Did one a few months back.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X