X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rheemplstilsken

I went to a church today to clear a floor drain.

In the kitchen there was a magnificent water heater beside the commercial stove.

A Rheem Fury, 50 gallon gas, 47 YEARS OLD!

Sorry, I forgot the camera today. I think I'll go back by just to take pics for you guys. The 4" single wall vent connects with another single wall vent that exits from the side of the commercial vent-a-hood over the stove and terminates in a chimney
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Rheemplstilsken

Do they want to sell it? It will still probably outlast a new one.

J.C.

Comment

About 10 years ago, I got a call on a water heater which was a solid copper tank! Pre WWII, so I guess it was 60 years old at the time. It was not leaking, and mostly working fine, but there was a problem with the pilot, and it was not a safe set-up, so I insisted that we had to replace the WH. At the time, I chucked the tank in the dumper! Today, I could probably retire ( again! ) on what the copper would be worth!

Comment

Back in the 70s I was working in an old estate in Pasadena and found a working water heater which had a cast iron body with coil of copper inside looped inside. It had a door you could open in the front to repair any leaks in the coil.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i've seen the copper tanks and the monel tanks. never had to replace one

ever see the plastic electric marathon electric water heater

the insinkerator plastic instant hot is junk. sorry emerson, but you know that since they're now stainless.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            the insinkerator plastic instant hot is junk. sorry emerson, but you know that since they're now stainless.

rick.
            I've had to replace the monel tanks. Those thermostats would tend to stick ON! Talk about a bomb waiting to explode. I may have mentioned before, but I walked into one house and turned on the hot side of the kitchen faucet and steam shot out. The tenant was complaining that the water heater was making noises . Well, there's your problem lady.

I concur regarding the plastic tanks on the instahots. The odor they emit is terrible. It's easy to sell the customer a new one now. Just draw a cup of hot water and let them smell it. They'll never be able to make another cup of tea or coffee with that dispenser again and not notice it.

But these new stainless tanks have their problems too. They apparently installed the relief tube too close to the tank and it tends to get brittle pretty quickly. I had another that leaked a steady stream from the faucet spout. It's a good thing they have a three year warranty!
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Talk about your original "only heat what you use" water heater. I still occasionally run into the old ones that you had to light whenever you wanted hot water. (they are not still in use, just sitting in the basements).
              My mom remembers using them in the 20's.
              Next time I see one I'll take a pic.
              Last edited by SlimTim; 01-30-2009, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

ever see the plastic electric marathon electric water heater

rick.
                Yes on the Marathon. Installed. No problems yet. Time will tell.

J.C.

Comment

I worked on a john woods nat gas 1952 model last week . I worked on it 8 years ago ,,clean the pilot, new themo cpl and it goes on thats 57 years old ..they dont make tanks like that any more...
                  have a few marathons out there over 10 years old

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                    I've had to replace the monel tanks. Those thermostats would tend to stick ON! Talk about a bomb waiting to explode. I may have mentioned before, but I walked into one house and turned on the hot side of the kitchen faucet and steam shot out. The tenant was complaining that the water heater was making noises . Well, there's your problem lady.

When I was in Iraq we would plumb up foriegn water heaters with no pressure relief valves in them. All of us Americans thought it was strange. Then we had a few explode and we knew it was strange. Now I realize we should have put pressure relief valves on the hot side just like a tankless. I'm glad I didn't see anybody get hurt from that ignorance. MINE INCLUDED

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                      When I was in Iraq we would plumb up foriegn water heaters with no pressure relief valves in them. All of us Americans thought it was strange. Then we had a few explode and we knew it was strange. Now I realize we should have put pressure relief valves on the hot side just like a tankless. I'm glad I didn't see anybody get hurt from that ignorance. MINE INCLUDED
                      Those "foreign" heaters weren't donated to you by IRAN were they?

Comment

Working...
                      X