• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewer smell leak location

Anyone have any luck with a device like this

http://www.heavydutystore.com/micro-...-pr-63441.html

for finding sewer gas leaks?

any tricks other than smoke or peppermint oil?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: sewer smell leak location

I'm aware it's not what this is designed for, just wondering if anyone's tried, or if something similar designed for that application exists.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Claims to detect methane, but wonder how concentrated the methane has to be for the device to pick it up.

I don't see how that would work in a bathroom. If the vent in the wall is split, it seems to me that the methane would be so spread out that the device would not be able to detect the source.

I don't know though, I'd like to try it. (for free)

Smell jobs are a pain in the a$$ to me. Process of elimination, check seals, replace wax ring, video vent and sewer, check behind tub, unused ptrap dried out, clean drains, and hoping for the best.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

2 calls a week.Many are stinky front loading wash machines.
        Had one dead mouse in a corner.(customers dog kept going over to the thing!)
        1 was a bunch of chemicals under the kitchen sink.
        Had one the trap dried out in the bsmt. toilet.(For you guys in the south east and south west,a basement is a hole in the dirt *under* a house ;-) )
        usually the costumer is female and was once in the Hall of Justice or Super Heroes League because of something to do with her nose.But she calls us to find the stink .
        Had a legit call last year when the local trade school (Dunwoody) had sewer gas in the school.One of the sewers had collapsed and was blowing back in under the building.
        Minneapolis has a 60" sewer in closely,the same location and they were a *little* worried it was their problem.("ok,grab the canoe,lets find that leak")

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
          .(For you guys in the south east and south west,a basement is a hole in the dirt *under* a house ;-) )

I'm a Tennessee hill billy, and we call a hole in the dirt under a house an outhouse or privy...............silly yankee!!

G3

Comment

A facilities manager for Red Lobster has one of them. Worked real good for pinpointing which toilets needed to be reset, it even found a toilet that was cracked and the was leting the stink out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
              A facilities manager for Red Lobster has one of them. Worked real good for pinpointing which toilets needed to be reset, it even found a toilet that was cracked and the was leting the stink out.
              No kidding.

Know what model it was?

Comment

I think it was a Drager It was pretty neat. There had been ongoing smell issues. Sometimes ya smelled it, sometimes ya didn't. That bad boy took the guesswork out of it.

Comment

In my opinion if you are trying to find sewer smells. Use a smoker, maybe by hurco. It has been the best thing i have found to find unseen sources of smells. If it shows no leaks then it aint sewer.

Comment

Speaking of smokin', Waytay, that avatar of yours is very distracting. I'm not into the whole uniform thing but all I have to say is, SMOKING!!!!
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                      Anyone have any luck with a device like this

http://www.heavydutystore.com/micro-...-pr-63441.html

for finding sewer gas leaks?

any tricks other than smoke or peppermint oil?
                      Can someone educate me as how to use a smoker or peppermint oil. I've never heard of this and would really like to know. I had an odor at a drug store we chased for months...never heard of either of these to locate the source.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsplumbing View Post
                        Can someone educate me as how to use a smoker or peppermint oil. I've never heard of this and would really like to know. I had an odor at a drug store we chased for months...never heard of either of these to locate the source.

Thanks in advance.
                        With a peppermint test you put oil of peppermint and hot water in the system and use your nose to find the leak. It works batter than sewer gas but not by much. With a smoke test you pump smoke into the system and look for smoke. Today most use a liquid smoke and a smoke pumper to pump large quantities of smoke into the system.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                        X