X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste King Disposals

today i went to look at a disposal that wasn't working.

the customer had already purchased a new waste king disposal just in case i couldn't fix the insinkerator badger 5 plus.

i fixed the disposer, but why i'm writing this is going to blow you away.

owner bought a waste king model #3300, 3/4h.p. 2700 rpm, comes with a

10 year in home warranty

cost $90.00 at a retail store.

made in china, distributed by anaheim manufacturing of anaheim calif.

so how is it that a name brand disposal of the past now is 1/3 the cost of a comparable size insinkerator, and comes with a 10 year in house warranty

as a disclaimer, insinkerator is owned by emerson electric. the same company that owns ridgid

so is insinkerator greedy

or waste king foolish

lets hear it

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: Waste King Disposals

Waste King is the biggest P.O.S. on the market and I don't care if they offer a free trip to Haiti with every one.

I despise their product, I hate the BS trying to remove them.

You done got me pissed off thinking how hard it was to remove the last one.

Insinkerator Evolution Series blows the competition away.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I like insinkerator, don't know waste king. Most of the ones I see are insinkerator or else age old worthless junk. I like badger 5's. I like evo's but most of the time cant justify the extra hundy or so they cost.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I dont like the way they mount to the sink ,,, every time i get under a sink with one , i got to tighten it up ,,It will spin loose with time
        I use the badger 5 , easy to mount ,,but hope they fix the leak thru prob soon

Comment

The OLD and I mean like 30+ year old Waste King were very good, but the new ones really are POC and POS crap.

I like INSINKERATOR or maybe KITCHENAID (top of line models), but the rest aren't even worth the time and/or effort to look at. With that said the big box stores are selling trashed up look alike models. Be very sure of what you really are getting inside the fancy boxes they come in. Call customer service and get SKU (bar codes) for the REAL THING quality products and also find out which dealers sell the REAL products. Without doubt LOWES is selling trashed up INSINKERATOR and there's a dead giveaway right on the box. "Exclusively at Lowes" is on the box. If you take a really good look, you can see they are not the real thing INSINKERATOR. I'm sure other big box stores (more like dumps) are playing the same games.

REAL - http://insinkerator.com/product/prod...3&template=hhd
          (Read the specs over with care, please)

LOWES version - http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...VER&lpage=none
          (Again, please read the specs carefully)

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Waste King is the biggest P.O.S. on the market and I don't care if they offer a free trip to Haiti with every one.

I despise their product, I hate the BS trying to remove them.

You done got me pissed off thinking how hard it was to remove the last one.

Insinkerator Evolution Series blows the competition away.
            Dunbar I agree. Ridgid ,or whomever is making some good products and some CRAP !
            Didn't wan't the free tee shirt anyway.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I thought the Whirl-a-Way was the biggest POS on the market

Comment

Badger 5 by the thousands. I always tell people I only warranty prof. plumbing products that I buy and install. The same thing happens to me a couple times a month and I try and do the best job I can to play salesman. In your case the customer had it already so ya don't have many choices.

I keep a badger 5 on the truck at all times and I can always convince customers to take the product back to the store for a refund. Here is my sales pitch that works every time.( at least for me )

I show up with a disposer in hand and show it to the customer so they can hold it and pet it like a dog. Then I explain to them the best warrantys are the ones you don't need. Customers think warrantys are a cure all so I explain to them that you still have to pay a plumber to take it out to have it fixed. Then they have to take it back and deal with the warranty from the retail store. Then, once they have the new replacement the customer has to pay to put it back in. Whats that worth, not to mention the headache for the customer? With an insinkerator I put it in and walk away. I also tell them most plumbers including myself do not carry parts for a cheap brand of disposer. Works like a charm.

I mark up disposals 20% and it can get a little expensive for the customer. But over the years theese same customers call me for all their repairs and they are all happy with the Insinkerator brand. Just my two cents. I feel for ya brotha, it seems like half my job is educating customers. Mike

Comment

let me clarify the question.

how is it that they can sell a disposer for 1/3 the price of insinkerator and provide a 10 year in house warranty.

i do like insinkerator, but not the price.

have you priced a hot/cold water dispenser lately? even the replacement tank cost a fortune.

so although you might not like the new style waste king, how do you ignore a 10 year in house warranty?

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, Yea it's tough no doubt! Like I say, the only thing we can do as prof. plumbers is to explain to the customer that the warranty on the unit is needed! Sell them on the headache. Tell the customer it's just more china junk. Most people are sick of china crap, remind them it's more of the same. There is another thing I do that I left out.

Every year I have a printer print me $ 50.00 gift cards by the thousands. Now, this sounds crazy but bare with me here. When I have a customer like this thats a tough sell I offer to give them a $50.00 gift card good for the next service call. Once they get that it's a done deal. Keep in mind a customer spends thousands over the course of time. The fifty bucks gets earned back quickly because odds are they will call you again.

I have built my business on the gift cards and the phone rings off the hook. It's a hard thing to get past giving away $50 but it doesn't cost me a thing because I make a ton of money from it. This also creates a massive word of mouth business because people want to know how to get a free gift card. This should be a marketing thread so I'll stop on that subject. Like I say it works for me, but sometimes it doesn't. I hope this makes sense, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      let me clarify the question.

how is it that they can sell a disposer for 1/3 the price of insinkerator and provide a 10 year in house warranty.

i do like insinkerator, but not the price.

have you priced a hot/cold water dispenser lately? even the replacement tank cost a fortune.

so although you might not like the new style waste king, how do you ignore a 10 year in house warranty?

rick.

Of course, there are idiots that will follow this sales gimmick before quality.

Fair enough, but there's one product that rules the roost in sales, Insinkerator.

They own the market and everyone else copycats them.

What did you do now get a free t-shirt and now you've got to sell it up on a promise?

Terrible rick. Terrible.

Point them to this thread and tell them to put a 20 year warranty on it, it really doesn't matter because reliability is what people want.

As I recall, those disposals don't have a reset switch or a keyway underneath them to unjam? I can't recall, too many get removed from failure and insinkerator takes its place.

rick!
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Fourty years ago there was nothing out there that was as good as a Waste King, the guys that were making them Knew this and they decided to take a nap. When they woke up they discovered that ISE had run them over and wasn't looking back. Waste King has to be the biggest piece of junk ever made, you only need your foot to remove one. The bottom line is that in ten years Waste King won't be around to do any warranty work. Have you ever wondered how some guys can give a "lifetime" warranty? Once whatever they are warranting fails, it's lifetime is up!

Comment

From Waste King:

In-home warranty is if any Waste King Legend disposer during its warranty period develops a material or mechanical defect (also known as a manufacturers defect) will be replaced in your home free of charge. Please call our customer service representatives at 800-854-3229 and they will be more than happy to assist you. Please have your model and serial ready for our agent to assist you in a timely manner.

(Do you have any reciepts from 10 years ago if you want this warranty you better not loose it...)

I wonder how Mr. and Mrs Homeowner prove this as opposed to normal wear and tear??? Another case of smoke and mirrors to try to sell a product

AND the easy mount system used in these disposers is $hit as well

Okie
                          Last edited by OkieBill; 01-30-2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Well said.........

I have spent years developing a customer base that trusts me. It may be more expensive but I will not bow down to the china gods. I suppose over the years I have lost some customers based on price alone but so be it. I love my customers and the loyalty they give me. If I were to put in a piece of junk and It failed the customer would have doubts about my integrity even though I didn't supply it. That's why I refuse to put less than professional products in. My business revolves around the 3 out of 10 customers who understand this.

It sounds like you've all been through this before. Mike

Comment

Just Have to ageree Waste king Nearly falls off the sink from Vibration ...

Customer Supplied ISE took 3 tries to seal ... from my Wholesailer 1 ...

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X