Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work trucks vs vans

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
    Also if you put 1/2 lengths and a ladder hanging from the ceiling, don't you lose the head room? I need 2 ladders for drain work, a 16 ft extension and 7 ft stepladder. How does that work out for guys with sprinters?
    I drive a Chevy dually van with a KUV body on the back. It has the same layout as in Utah's second picture, but taller. I am 6'4" and can stand up straight in the back of mine.

You should look into Little Giant ladders. I only have to carry one ladder in my van instead of two. They are a great space saver. Also, the last time I checked, they are still made in the USA. You can't beat that nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes Plumbing View Post
      Mark, that Stahl KUV looks like a sweet set up. How do you carry pipe? Mike

I don't anymore, I only do camera work, locating and investigations for litigations.

Mark
      Attached Files
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
        I drive a Chevy dually van with a KUV body on the back. It has the same layout as in Utah's second picture, but taller. I am 6'4" and can stand up straight in the back of mine.

You should look into Little Giant ladders. I only have to carry one ladder in my van instead of two. They are a great space saver. Also, the last time I checked, they are still made in the USA. You can't beat that nowadays.
        I agree with the Little Giant Ladders. I've been using them for 35-years.

Mark

Comment

That's a sweet ride. I like that service body. The inside of my van has brown spots all over.

I need that side door access though for my big machine.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Been in this 22 years. Started with a 4x4 truck long bed..Did not do much service though. Would have sworn you would never see me in a van..Oh yeah then there was that day the little old lady pulled out...Hit that truck coming at me and swung him around right into me. Needed something fast and got a great deal on a van. Swore it was the best thing ever...Wow I could not believe I reallly was driving a van! Some where I came across a guy with a box truck and thought..I should give it a try. Bought a Ford (never cared for them)350 with a 14' box on the back..Built my own shelves. Wow, I love this thing! Paid $9,600 2004 78,000 miles. 10 mpg gas. Since march I have run for part twice..Both times parts missing on faucet or broken tank. Cut my miles by 1/3... I did buy the best tires for snow that I could, and am only going to drive them in the winter. Goes through anything!!! Ok, a little big (only bent one basketball rim so far) and a little heavy (need to check that yet stocked) But awesome! And noisy up front.. Next time I may get a detached cab. But then again...we change and needs change too.

Comment

I tell ya Mark, thats a real nice truck. I got suckered into a lame job in the morning but after that I'm going to the dealership and checking out the stahl trucks like you have.

I do not have a little giant ladder because I am so behind the times, but everyone seems to love them. I suppose I will have to buy that to, Daaamit. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes Plumbing View Post
                I tell ya Mark, thats a real nice truck. I got suckered into a lame job in the morning but after that I'm going to the dealership and checking out the stahl trucks like you have.

I do not have a little giant ladder because I am so behind the times, but everyone seems to love them. I suppose I will have to buy that to, Daaamit. Mike
                Don't take ladder safety to lightly. The one time I used a ladder other than one of my Little Giants I had a ladder accident which I still have ongoing surgeries lined up from.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mstrplmr View Post
                  Been in this 22 years. Started with a 4x4 truck long bed..Did not do much service though. Would have sworn you would never see me in a van..Oh yeah then there was that day the little old lady pulled out...Hit that truck coming at me and swung him around right into me. Needed something fast and got a great deal on a van. Swore it was the best thing ever...Wow I could not believe I reallly was driving a van! Some where I came across a guy with a box truck and thought..I should give it a try. Bought a Ford (never cared for them)350 with a 14' box on the back..Built my own shelves. Wow, I love this thing! Paid $9,600 2004 78,000 miles. 10 mpg gas. Since march I have run for part twice..Both times parts missing on faucet or broken tank. Cut my miles by 1/3... I did buy the best tires for snow that I could, and am only going to drive them in the winter. Goes through anything!!! Ok, a little big (only bent one basketball rim so far) and a little heavy (need to check that yet stocked) But awesome! And noisy up front.. Next time I may get a detached cab. But then again...we change and needs change too.
                  He isn't kidding I think he could do a 4 bathroom ruff in with what he has on his truck.

Comment

I drive a 12' cube van and I believe that for me it is the best of both worlds.

Comment

i have both the big box truck on a gmc w4500. it has a 12'6'' x 7'6'' x 6'4'' tall box with access to outside boxes on the curb side. carries everything but the kitchen sink also weighs close to it's gvwr of 14,050# gas engine 5-6mpg

the new sprinter 144'' w.b with high roof, is 1/2 the size 10' usable x 5' 10'' wide @ floor x 6'4'' tall. easy to drive and so far is about 20mpg on the 3 liter turbo diesel. 9990 gvwr.

still working on the layout of the interior.

so unless you need to carry the whole enchilada, go with a van.

the bigger the truck, the more junk in the trunk

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

For someone starting out with little money the market is flooded with cheap good used utility bed trucks from the dead construction industry. I've seen some guys put work shells on them to make then enclosed. Just another alternative for the little guy starting out.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          i have both the big box truck on a gmc w4500. it has a 12'6'' x 7'6'' x 6'4'' tall box with access to outside boxes on the curb side. carries everything but the kitchen sink also weighs close to it's gvwr of 14,050# gas engine 5-6mpg

the new sprinter 144'' w.b with high roof, is 1/2 the size 10' usable x 5' 10'' wide @ floor x 6'4'' tall. easy to drive and so far is about 20mpg on the 3 liter turbo diesel. 9990 gvwr.

still working on the layout of the interior.

so unless you need to carry the whole enchilada, go with a van.

the bigger the truck, the more junk in the trunk

rick.

I'm starting to believe a hoax has been perpetrated upon us. The guy who can't do a job with having someone take his picture can't post a picture of his "new" truck?

Mark

Comment

Was that on a W 3500 or W 4500 and which motor?

I have a W 3500 GMC with 350 gas.

Mark[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by RDW920 View Post

Was that on a W 3500 or W 4500 and which motor?

I have a W 3500 GMC with 350 gas.
                              It was on an Isuzu NPR with the turbo diesel. The truck was in much better shape when I owned it 10-years earlier.

Mark

Comment

My Grandmothers husband is a retired service plumber. He drove around in an old merita bread truck painted white.

Imagine all the equipment you could pack into this.

The left side was actually had a 6 foot workbench on it. it really was functional.
                                Last edited by MoJourneyman; 01-31-2009, 07:11 PM. Reason: this is a stock image, not his truck, he sold that when he retired.
                                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                                X