Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work trucks vs vans

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    i have both the big box truck on a gmc w4500. it has a 12'6'' x 7'6'' x 6'4'' tall box with access to outside boxes on the curb side. carries everything but the kitchen sink also weighs close to it's gvwr of 14,050# gas engine 5-6mpg

the new sprinter 144'' w.b with high roof, is 1/2 the size 10' usable x 5' 10'' wide @ floor x 6'4'' tall. easy to drive and so far is about 20mpg on the 3 liter turbo diesel. 9990 gvwr.

still working on the layout of the interior.

so unless you need to carry the whole enchilada, go with a van.

the bigger the truck, the more junk in the trunk

rick.

Rick, I friend of mine got a Sprinter a few months ago (diesel)... It started giving him a hard time (running rougher than normal)... I did not know the Sprinter engine is made by Mercedes Benz It went to the Mercedes dealer for service and man did they get him in the wallet (so he says)... Is the engine really made by Benz???

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      Rick, I friend of mine got a Sprinter a few months ago (diesel)... It started giving him a hard time (running rougher than normal)... I did not know the Sprinter engine is made by Mercedes Benz It went to the Mercedes dealer for service and man did they get him in the wallet (so he says)... Is the engine really made by Benz???

Okie
      Think DaimlerChrysler (Mothership to both Mercedes and Chrysler) and it will give you an idea of how Dodge ended up with a Mercedes Benz engine.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The whole truck is made by Benz..that's why it costs $40,000. They build em in Germany then take them apart, ship them to an assembly plant in Ladson S.C. and then reassemble them to avoid the high import tax. I know that the older Sprinters had some issues(I think pre 2007) but I have had no trouble with mine so far after 1 year.(knock on wood!)

Comment

Hey Mike take a look at my work truck. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/album.php?albumid=21
          I love my truck and it works great for me. Buy a Ford (First On Race Day).
          WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
          ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Ok, That is a bad a$$ money maker. After looking at the wonderfull remodel this morning I took a spin around town looking for a new truck and found a few Stahl KUV's, a bunch of box bodies, and 1 sprinter. Ford is all I have ever owned but I have to say I drove a buddies Chevy a few months ago and she was pretty sweet also.

I have to come to grips with the fact that my trade-in will be worthless. Dealerships really don't want to take any trades on utility vans. I am in deep thought still.

How is that big cube van for parking? The old super stretch ford ( slugworth ) can pe a pain to park and such. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

I'm starting to believe a hoax has been perpetrated upon us. The guy who can't do a job with having someone take his picture can't post a picture of his "new" truck?

Mark
              i was just thinking of that. today i spent a couple hours and installed a rubber/ vinyl diamond plate floor. came out real nice and will protect the factory wood floor panel.

making some nice stainless steel swinging pipe holder on the drivers side.

shelving is a toss up as the van co. wants approx $4500. for a total of 11' of shelving

probably will design some aluminum shelving to fit my present size plastic totes.

i'll have to take photos to show it's progress

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I like this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320335329627

Comment

We have 2 sprinters. So far. Flawless. Still need a truck though. Preferably one with a lift gate.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                    The advantage of vans are they are cheaper to buy and have weather proof lockable security; after adding inside shelves and roof rack they are ready to work. But they harder to work on engine wise, and are noisier with all that material and tools clanking around back there. Also you have to smell the sewer machines, glue, primer, and other chemicals every time you get in the van. My current truck has the best of both worlds. It is a Dodge Cummins turbo diesel extended cab with an enclosed Skaug walk-in utility body. Outside accessable side bins and barn doors on the back. Lots of room inside. Quiet in the cab with no extra noise or smells and I can transfer the bed on another truck when its time for a new one. Decent fuel mileage for all that weight also........
                    Do you have a picture? I was looking for that also but settled for an 2005 AWD Express van. We need 4x4 here but the price difference and avilability of the utility bed made me go with the van. I have to admit that is a nice driving van.
                    Last edited by Birddoggiest; 02-01-2009, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I don't have a picture handy but I will see if I can shoot some and post them. The bed I have is a standard 8 foot long utility box size on a single rear wheel setup.The truck is an older 1993 Cummins diesel, but its paid for and makes me money. The truck is compact enough so I can park it easily and get through the oak tree lined streets and driveways we have here.

Comment

I was never a van fan until i got my GMC Pro Series. This thing is soo handy and I get a lot of comments on it. It is fun to be standing there talking to someone and just hit the key fab to open one of the panels. They get a real kick out of it.

It is very functional as well. Tons of storage with the Adrian Rack system. We will be adding additional vechicles to our fleet soon so this thread is a huge help.

Here are a few pics. Some are before lettering and stocking:
                        Attached Files
                        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                          I was never a van fan until i got my GMC Pro Series. This thing is soo handy and I get a lot of comments on it. It is fun to be standing there talking to someone and just hit the key fab to open one of the panels. They get a real kick out of it.

It is very functional as well. Tons of storage with the Adrian Rack system. We will be adding additional vechicles to our fleet soon so this thread is a huge help.

Here are a few pics. Some are before lettering and stocking:
                          I like the outside access. I'll remember this next time I buy a van. Thanks.

Are the side access panels tinted windows? Stripped down passenger van?

Wish I would have seen this before I bought my cargo Chevy Express 2500.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

The side panels are not windows with tint. They are heavy duty fiberglass panels with locking mechanisms for key less entry. This was not a passenger van but a custom made van by GMC.

They call it their Pro Series.

Here is a link to the storage systems made for them:

http://www.industrialladder.com/prod...categoryID=383
                            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                              The side panels are not windows with tint. They are heavy duty fiberglass panels with locking mechanisms for key less entry. This was not a passenger van but a custom made van by GMC.

They call it their Pro Series.

Here is a link to the storage systems made for them:

http://www.industrialladder.com/prod...categoryID=383
                              Thanks, I was away looking it up at GMC's website. That's a great set up, perfect for my needs.

I'd just don't think I could find a used one. I can't imagine too many people sell those once they buy them. Got my 2006 express for $15,000 total, with only 10,000 miles.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I used to have a van in NYC,but did not do drain much drain cleaning.

I moved to Denver CO and here you need to do it all so I bought a 10' box van.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X