hello tradesman....2......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello tradesman....2......

I registered some time back, and have been reading the site for a few months now.

I appreciate all the time some of you have taken to honestly share solutions to common issues we deal with.

I have been in the trade since 1984. Work for 10 years new construction in Southern Ca., east San Diego county area. Light commercial and customs, then multifamily and tract work.

Started my own business in 1994 in Temecula area of Ca. Still focused on new construction. Started with me and a helper, grew to average 25 employees (peaked at 40 ). In 2005 I moved my family to Iowa, and kept the ca business. I estimated from here, and had shop and field managers there.
    In Jan 08 we decided to shut things down. Margins were going away, liability was still too high. Was tough to let 3 family members go, but all understood and things ended on a high note (found jobs for our key people who were left).

I have started again here in Iowa, but most shops here to everything. I have started with focus on service and repair, and doing some light commercial new work. Trying to stay away from new residential (what little there is) due to the competitive nature.

I am enjoying the service work, I like the variety of challanges. I think my new construction background helps in a full understanding of what may be in the wall, but have a huge respect for those with a service background and who can identify the large variety of old, odd, stuff we see.

I am enjoying being out with the tools again, and regardless of what happens for growth, will stay with the tools. I had a GMC 3500 w/11' service body on it that we couldn't sell in Ca. so I drove it back here in November and it is working well for me for now.

Thanks again for all the input on here, it has been a great help, and I know I will have some questions for you true service experts in the future. My next trip to Ca I might have to look up Plumber Rick and buy him a shake and pick his brain.

And yes I will search the posts first before asking, and I promise to not ask about FR vs T&M

Re: hello tradesman....2......

Welcome to the site and glad to have you here. The next time you are in Southern California make sure you let us know as we get together often. Closer to Iowa though will be the Ridgid Roundup held in Ohio during September. Sign up now before all of the spots are gone.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Welcome to the site, I'm sure you will have some interesting stuff to share with us.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Welcome to the site and glad to have you here. The next time you are in Southern California make sure you let us know as we get together often. Closer to Iowa though will be the Ridgid Roundup held in Ohio during September. Sign up now before all of the spots are gone.

Mark

Looks like the roundup is full, bummer. I was not aware of that.....maybe next year

Comment

Welcome sir. Mike

Comment

rdw920, the roundup might be full on paper, but when push comes to shove, there will be some that flake this far in advance.

i would think there will be a cut off, make it or break it date.

see if you can be put on a standby list

looking forward to that shake

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X