Fire protection for homes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire protection for homes

Do any of you guys install fire sprikler systems in new homes? If so, how do you go about getting certs to do this type work? A plumber freind asked me if I knew how to get certified, we are kinda kicking around the idea because it is a good selling point in new construction.( I guess)

Re: Fire protection for homes

In Wisconsin it's part of the liscense. What you need is the NFPA book. The pipe used for this is called Blazemaster, it's orange PVC. All of it is sized by a chart and the heads all have a pattern of spray that covers X-square feet. The drawing has to be made showing the head locations and the pattern overlap, then be approved. Most inspectors know nothing about this because it never really caught on and insurance offers only a slight reduction in premiums, infact some premiums go up.

On the masters test I recall only a dozen or so questions in a group we call multi-purpose piping. Mike

Comment

In Wisconsin we can also use pex for the multi-purpose piping.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
        Do any of you guys install fire sprikler systems in new homes? If so, how do you go about getting certs to do this type work? A plumber freind asked me if I knew how to get certified, we are kinda kicking around the idea because it is a good selling point in new construction.( I guess)
        If you're in an ICC code area a residential sprinkler will be required in the next couple of years on new construction. I don't know what certs their are for it yet, but I do know uponor will design the system for you if you get them plans.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I have done the Uponor systems. It is covered under our plumbing licence. They will train and certify you for their system. It isn't cheap at all, most basic houses start at 2.25+ sq' and go up. They should get a good insurance break but some agents scam the discount or even charge more. The last one I did last year had about 4000' of 1/2" pipe on a 3800 sq' house.

Comment

Here you have to have another license. This is according to my plumber/firefighter friend.

Comment

Call the local fire marshal, they will tell you what license you will need.

Here you need a fire sprinkler contractors license, and a responsible managing employee (NICET III or PE license), and if you want to do any work over $25,000 per contract you will also need a contractors license.

It just kills me that plumbers are allowed to put in fire protection systems.

G3

Comment

Also should add that plumbers in Wisconsin can only install multi-purpose systems in 1 and 2 family homes.

Comment

That is all we can install too. The combined domestic water and sprinkler systems offered by Uponor and Rehau.

Comment

I guess if I go to a little seminar on pex then that makes me a master plumber also. All I need is one of the how to books at home depot, a 6' ladder, pocket knife to cut that pex and one of those little crimpy tools from ebay...................WOOOOHOOOO...........hey ma I'm a plumber now!!!!

G3

Comment

you seem a little bitter about this G3, none of us are claiming to be pro's, thats why we've started asking questions. pex fire sprinklers in residential construction is a far cry from a professional commercial install.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                        I guess if I go to a little seminar on pex then that makes me a master plumber also. All I need is one of the how to books at home depot, a 6' ladder, pocket knife to cut that pex and one of those little crimpy tools from ebay...................WOOOOHOOOO...........hey ma I'm a plumber now!!!!

G3
                        The 13d codes are not complicated and it is all engineered. Almost as easy as putting those commercial puzzles together

Comment

Working...
                        X